Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Hi,

Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?

Here are some important factors to consider:

1. Personal/non-commercial use.
2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
it will not suddenly close down the next day.

Please advise.

Thank you.

===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Alexander V. Makartsev
On 15.02.2019 11:44, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
Hi,

Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?

Here are some important factors to consider:

1. Personal/non-commercial use.
Out of pure interest, what kind of data do plan to store? How often do you plan to access it and from what location?
50000 GB of data looks enormous to transfer over the Internet on daily basis.
2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
I don't think there are any kind of storage service available for that kind of storage demand and costs a few tenners.
50 TB is no joke and even basic calculation gives values around $1300 per month.
I don't know the whole picture of your use case, but I think it would be much cheaper in a long run to self-host it on premises. Even with high availability solution.
3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
it will not suddenly close down the next day.
Basically, you have to stick with one of major companies, like Google, Amazon, CloudFlare, Microsoft.
Otherwise, there is no guarantee that your data will vanish one day with the company, but even then, once your data is uploaded into cloud it could become a hostage at any time in the future.
Please advise.

Thank you.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 5:03 PM Alexander V. Makartsev
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15.02.2019 11:44, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?
>
> Here are some important factors to consider:
>
> 1. Personal/non-commercial use.
>
> Out of pure interest, what kind of data do plan to store? How often do you plan to access it and from what location?
> 50000 GB of data looks enormous to transfer over the Internet on daily basis.

Hi Alexander,

Basically personal data. I don't intend to access the data in the
Cloud often. Just want to park it permanently in the Cloud. Maybe I
can access the Cloud from anywhere in the world?

> 2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
> super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
> from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
>
> I don't think there are any kind of storage service available for that kind of storage demand and costs a few tenners.
> 50 TB is no joke and even basic calculation gives values around $1300 per month.

USD$1300 per month is more than half or 50% of the monthly salary of a
typical university graduate in Singapore. So I don't think I will be
able to afford to pay USD$1300 per month just for cloud storage alone.

> I don't know the whole picture of your use case, but I think it would be much cheaper in a long run to self-host it on premises. Even with high availability solution.
>
> 3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
> it will not suddenly close down the next day.
>
> Basically, you have to stick with one of major companies, like Google, Amazon, CloudFlare, Microsoft.
> Otherwise, there is no guarantee that your data will vanish one day with the company, but even then, once your data is uploaded into cloud it could become a hostage at any time in the future.

Noted above sentence with thanks.

> Please advise.
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> With kindest regards, Alexander.
>
> ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
> ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
> ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
> ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀

===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===⠀

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Georgi Naplatanov
On 2/15/19 8:44 AM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?
>
> Here are some important factors to consider:
>
> 1. Personal/non-commercial use.
> 2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
> super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
> from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
> 3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
> it will not suddenly close down the next day.

Hi Turritopsis,

https://www.hetzner.com has offers for storage up to 10TB for € 39.90
per month without VAT. Maybe it'll worth to ask them if they can provide
50TB for your needs.

https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box

Kind regards
Georgi

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Adam Weremczuk

It could make sense to sign up for Google Enterprise subscription:

https://gsuite.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/pricing.html

5 users will cost you 5 x £20 = £100 per month and give 5 accounts with
unlimited storage in a trusted and reliable place.

AFAIK there is upload speed cap in place so it may take you many days to
complete the initial push.

Moving forward I would recommend rsync or similar for differential data
updates.

Not sure why you've posted your question to this list though?

Thanks,
Adam

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Adam Weremczuk
Actually even a cheaper "Business" plan offers unlimited storage for 5
or more users.

So you might spend as little as $50 per month:

https://gsuite.google.com/intl/en_us/pricing.html

My links are for UK and US.

Edit the URL to browse different regions.

On 15/02/19 09:34, Adam Weremczuk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It could make sense to sign up for Google Enterprise subscription:
>
> https://gsuite.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/pricing.html
>
> 5 users will cost you 5 x £20 = £100 per month and give 5 accounts
> with unlimited storage in a trusted and reliable place.
>
> AFAIK there is upload speed cap in place so it may take you many days
> to complete the initial push.
>
> Moving forward I would recommend rsync or similar for differential
> data updates.
>
> Not sure why you've posted your question to this list though?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Curt
On 2019-02-15, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Basically personal data. I don't intend to access the data in the
> Cloud often. Just want to park it permanently in the Cloud. Maybe I
> can access the Cloud from anywhere in the world?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Glacier

 Glacier has two costs, one for storage and one for retrieval.  Uploading data
 to Glacier is free. Storage pricing is simple: it currently costs 0.4 cents per
 gigabyte per month, which is 82% cheaper than S3 Standard.

 In 2016, AWS revised their retrieval pricing model.[16] The new model bases
 the retrieval fee on the number of gigabytes retrieved. This can amount to a
 99% price cut for users who perform only one glacier retrieval in a month. At
 the same time, AWS introduced new methods of retrieval that take different
 amounts of time. An expedited retrieval costs one cent per request and three
 cents per gigabyte, and can retrieve data in one to five minutes. A standard
 retrieval costs five cents per thousand requests and one cent per gigabyte, and
 takes three to five hours. A bulk retrieval costs 2.5 cents per thousand
 requests and 0.25 cents per gigabyte, and takes seven to twelve hours. AWS also
 introduced provisioned capacity for expedited retrievals, each unit of which
 costs $100 per month and guarantees at least three expedited retrievals every
 five minutes, and up to 150 MB/s of retrieval bandwidth. Without provisioned
 capacity, expedited retrievals are done on a capacity available basis.

Happy storage.

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Adam Weremczuk
The upload volume is currently capped at 750GB per day:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/172541?hl=en

So it would take you about 67 days to push to a single account and about
14 days if you split the data into 5 even chunks and push simultaneously
to 5 accounts.

You would need a very fast internet connection to go much faster with
any provider anyway.

On 15/02/19 09:48, Adam Weremczuk wrote:

> Actually even a cheaper "Business" plan offers unlimited storage for 5
> or more users.
>
> So you might spend as little as $50 per month:
>
> https://gsuite.google.com/intl/en_us/pricing.html
>
> My links are for UK and US.
>
> Edit the URL to browse different regions.
>

> On 15/02/19 09:34, Adam Weremczuk wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It could make sense to sign up for Google Enterprise subscription:
>>
>> https://gsuite.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/pricing.html
>>
>> 5 users will cost you 5 x £20 = £100 per month and give 5 accounts
>> with unlimited storage in a trusted and reliable place.
>>
>> AFAIK there is upload speed cap in place so it may take you many days
>> to complete the initial push.
>>
>> Moving forward I would recommend rsync or similar for differential
>> data updates.
>>
>> Not sure why you've posted your question to this list though?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adam

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Hi Georgi,

Thank you for sharing.

I will bookmark the link.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 5:33 PM Georgi Naplatanov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/15/19 8:44 AM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?
> >
> > Here are some important factors to consider:
> >
> > 1. Personal/non-commercial use.
> > 2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
> > super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
> > from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
> > 3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
> > it will not suddenly close down the next day.
> >

> Hi Turritopsis,
>

> https://www.hetzner.com has offers for storage up to 10TB for € 39.90
> per month without VAT. Maybe it'll worth to ask them if they can provide
> 50TB for your needs.
>
> https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box
>
> Kind regards
> Georgi

===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Dan Ritter-4
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?
>
> Here are some important factors to consider:
>
> 1. Personal/non-commercial use.
> 2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
> super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
> from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
> 3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
> it will not suddenly close down the next day.

50TB is a lot of data. Do you actually have it right now, or are
you projecting into the future? How are you storing it?

-dsr-

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Edwin Pers-2
On Fri, Feb 15, 2019, 1:44 AM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <[hidden email] wrote:
Hi,

Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?
 -snip-

I haven't seen backblaze mentioned here - 6$/mo for unlimited cold storage. Files are accessible from a browser, and they can ship you hard drives in a disaster recovery situation.

-ed

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 10:10 PM Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?
> >
> > Here are some important factors to consider:
> >
> > 1. Personal/non-commercial use.
> > 2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
> > super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
> > from the National University of Singapore in 2007.
> > 3. Cloud storage provider must not be a fly-by-night company, that is,
> > it will not suddenly close down the next day.
> >

> 50TB is a lot of data. Do you actually have it right now, or are
> you projecting into the future? How are you storing it?

Using external portable USB hard drives.

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Noted with thanks.

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 6:04 PM Adam Weremczuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The upload volume is currently capped at 750GB per day:
>
> https://support.google.com/a/answer/172541?hl=en
>
> So it would take you about 67 days to push to a single account and about
> 14 days if you split the data into 5 even chunks and push simultaneously
> to 5 accounts.
>
> You would need a very fast internet connection to go much faster with
> any provider anyway.
>

> On 15/02/19 09:48, Adam Weremczuk wrote:
> > Actually even a cheaper "Business" plan offers unlimited storage for 5
> > or more users.
> >
> > So you might spend as little as $50 per month:
> >
> > https://gsuite.google.com/intl/en_us/pricing.html
> >
> > My links are for UK and US.
> >
> > Edit the URL to browse different regions.
> >

> > On 15/02/19 09:34, Adam Weremczuk wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It could make sense to sign up for Google Enterprise subscription:
> >>
> >> https://gsuite.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/pricing.html
> >>
> >> 5 users will cost you 5 x £20 = £100 per month and give 5 accounts
> >> with unlimited storage in a trusted and reliable place.
> >>
> >> AFAIK there is upload speed cap in place so it may take you many days
> >> to complete the initial push.
> >>
> >> Moving forward I would recommend rsync or similar for differential
> >> data updates.
> >>
> >> Not sure why you've posted your question to this list though?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Adam

===BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE===

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

===END EMAIL SIGNATURE===

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

andy smith-10

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 01:08:01PM +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 10:10 PM Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 50TB is a lot of data. Do you actually have it right now, or are
> > you projecting into the future? How are you storing it?
>
> Using external portable USB hard drives.

What then are your goals for cloud storage? The main issue you are
facing is that 50TB is a pretty huge amount of personal user data by
today's standards, so any commercial offering is going to be expensive.

If all you require is access to your data when you are out and about,
and you do currently have always-on Internet at home, you could build a
cheap server, attach your existing USB storage to it, and serve it with
owncloud or something.

Downsides:

- USB storage kind of sucks

- Now you are a sysadmin, congrats

- Maybe your domestic Internet service provider isn't up to the task of
  serving a lot of data

Upsides:

- Access to your data from where you have Internet for a relatively
  modest one off purchase and some sysadmin work.

- Your personal data can stay physically where it is, so no months-long
  upload session.

Depending on what your actual use case is there are many other reasons
why this may not be suitable.

If I had 50TB of valuable personal data I'd also be worrying about how
it's backed up.

Cheers,
Andy

https://bitfolk.com/ -- No-nonsense VPS hosting

GnuBee: freedom-respecting Network Attached Storage (was: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data)

Ben Finney-3
Andy Smith <[hidden email]> writes:

> If all you require is access to your data when you are out and about,
> and you do currently have always-on Internet at home, you could build
> a cheap server, attach your existing USB storage to it, and serve it
> with owncloud or something.

This sometimes goes by the (IMO stupidly misleading) name of “personal
cloud”, but “cloud” is a useless word for all of this. It's simply an
always-on server for file storage and maybe some other services.

When the primary purpose is network-attached file storage, as the
original poster is requesting, the term to search for is Network
Attached Storage (NAS).

In other words, it's what used to be quite normal for many people,
before the internet was centralised :-) and is a great step to
re-decentralising the net [0]. One downside is, as pointed out earlier,
you must (yourself, or convince someone else to) take on the job of
system administrator for your network.

There is a good free-software-respecting hardware solution for building
a bare-bones server for running at a home or small office, the GnuBee
<URL:https://www.crowdsupply.com/gnubee/>.

It runs a full-blown GNU+Linux operating system under your full control,
so you could set it up to also run services along the line of nextCloud
or the like.

[0] <URL:https://www.economist.com/special-report/2018/06/28/how-to-fix-what-has-gone-wrong-with-the-internet>
    <URL:https://www.wired.co.uk/article/tim-berners-lee-reclaim-the-web>

--
 \      “Every valuable human being must be a radical and a rebel, for |
  `\      what he must aim at is to make things better than they are.” |
Ben Finney

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

celejar
On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:52:55 -0000 (UTC)
Curt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-02-15, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Basically personal data. I don't intend to access the data in the
> > Cloud often. Just want to park it permanently in the Cloud. Maybe I
> > can access the Cloud from anywhere in the world?
> >

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Glacier

Depending on how often / how fast the storage will need to be accessed,
C14 can be cheaper:

https://www.online.net/en/c14#pricing

Celejar

Re: Please Recommend Affordable and Reliable Cloud Storage for 50 TB of Data

celejar
On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 14:03:14 +0500
"Alexander V. Makartsev" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15.02.2019 11:44, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you recommend affordable and reliable cloud storage for 50 TB of data?
> >
> > Here are some important factors to consider:

> > 2. Must be affordable, since I am unemployed most of the time and have
> > super low levels of income for the past 12 years since I graduated
> > from the National University of Singapore in 2007.

> I don't think there are any kind of storage service available for that
> kind of storage demand and costs a few tenners.
> 50 TB is no joke and even basic calculation gives values around $1300
> per month.

Much cheaper services are available, e.g., Wasabi, for $250:

https://wasabi.com/pricing/

Celejar

12