Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card

Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card

Jiangsu Kumquat
I want to get a good fast Debian compatible card for 1080p.

I was looking at this page...

Best Graphics Cards 2020 - Top Gaming GPUs for the Money | Tom's Hardware

However, I think most or all of those cards won't work that great for Linux because of compatibility issues.

Can you recommend a good card for me to use? I play windows games in Debian with wine.

I tend to prefer AMD cards, but Nvidia cards are okay I guess as long as they work well with Debian.

Thanks!!

_________________
PrivacyTools - Encryption and tools to protect against global mass surveillance - https://www.privacytools.io - https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/
More secure, more flexible, and completely free video conferencing. Go ahead, video chat with the whole team. In fact, invite everyone you know. Jitsi Meet is a fully encrypted, 100% open source video conferencing solution that you can use all day, every day, for free — with no account needed.

Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card

Henning Follmann
On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 05:20:33AM -0600, Jiangsu Kumquat wrote:

> I want to get a good fast Debian compatible card for 1080p.
>
> I was looking at this page...
>
> Best Graphics Cards 2020 - Top Gaming GPUs for the Money | Tom's Hardware
> https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html
>
> However, I think most or all of those cards won't work that great for Linux
> because of compatibility issues.
>
> Can you recommend a good card for me to use? I play windows games in Debian
> with wine.
>
> I tend to prefer AMD cards, but Nvidia cards are okay I guess as long as
> they work well with Debian.
>
> Thanks!!

I do not know about GPU and I do not care. For my purpose any simple card
does the jobe well enough.
However when it comes to reviews with linux in mind
https://www.phoronix.com
might be a good start.

my $0.02

-H

Henning Follmann           | [hidden email]

Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

Kenneth Parker-2
I couldn't help noticing your .sig reference to Jitsi.  There were threads about it, as a good replacement for Zoom.  Also, there is a strong need in another online community that I belong to.

How is your experience with a "room" with, say about 10 people in it with some using Video, but others preferring Audio only?

Thank you and best regards,

Kenneth Parker

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020, 7:21 AM Jiangsu Kumquat <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alexander V. Makartsev
On 25.04.2020 16:20, Jiangsu Kumquat wrote:
[...]

I highly recommend Nvidia-based cards, if you don't mind closed-source drivers.
Many (Most?) games with Linux-native ports officially support only Nvidia by game developers. I think, this is because of the drivers, their quality and stability.
AMD-based card will usually work too, but (as long as I can remember) quality of their drivers were something to be desired and drivers for Linux are under heavy development, but they are open-source.
In case of Proton\WINE, you could get mixed results, because some games (via DXVK) will work better with Nvidia and some are better with AMD. "Better" here as in "less graphical glitches, more performance and stability."
To play modern games in 1080p 60fps with high graphics settings you would want minimum GTX1660 or better with 6Gb VRAM or more.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card

nito
On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 18:58:45 +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

> On 25.04.2020 16:20, Jiangsu Kumquat wrote:
> > I want to get a good fast Debian compatible card for 1080p.
> >
> > […]
> >
> > However, I think most or all of those cards won't work that great for
> > Linux because of compatibility issues.
> >
> > Can you recommend a good card for me to use? I play windows games in
> > Debian with wine.
> >
> > I tend to prefer AMD cards, but Nvidia cards are okay I guess as long
> > as they work well with Debian.
>
> I highly recommend Nvidia-based cards, if you don't mind closed-source
> drivers.
> Many (Most?) games with Linux-native ports officially support only
> Nvidia by game developers. I think, this is because of the drivers,
> their quality and stability.
Many games officially recommend the proprietary drivers, though with any
recent AMD-GPUs (as in: supported by AMDGPU instead of radeon) I've never
needed them (some Phoronix benchmarks even seem to indicate, that AMDGPU
often but not always even works better than AMDGPU-PRO).
With NVidia cards the open source noveau driver will not be sufficient for
gaming though.

I can't complain about the AMDGPU driver more than any of the other graphic
drivers. In fact I tend to find AMDGPU easier to handle than the proprietary
NVidia drivers.
As far as I heard, for stability you should not use a GPU that was just
released some months prior, though. The drivers need some time.

> AMD-based card will usually work too, but (as long as I can remember)
> quality of their drivers were something to be desired and drivers for
> Linux are under heavy development, but they are open-source.

If choosing a AMD GPU for gaming I'd recommend to atleast use kernel 5.4 from
backports, as afaik there were some (for gaming) signinficant improvements
after 5.0.

> In case of Proton\WINE, you could get mixed results, because some games
> (via DXVK) will work better with Nvidia and some are better with AMD.
> "Better" here as in "less graphical glitches, more performance and
> stability."
> To play modern games in 1080p 60fps with high graphics settings you
> would want minimum GTX1660 or better with 6Gb VRAM or more.

If you want to achieve the highest of high gaming performance, Nvidia cards
currently offer better (and more expensive) hardware.
If you are happy with (just) decent performance Nvidia vs AMD probably doesn't
matter too much and is mostly game dependent.

Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card

tv.debian@googlemail.com
On 25/04/2020 19:28, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

> On 25.04.2020 16:20, Jiangsu Kumquat wrote:
>> I want to get a good fast Debian compatible card for 1080p.
>>
>> I was looking at this page...
>>
>> Best Graphics Cards 2020 - Top Gaming GPUs for the Money | Tom's Hardware
>> https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html
>>
>> However, I think most or all of those cards won't work that great for
>> Linux because of compatibility issues.
>>
>> Can you recommend a good card for me to use? I play windows games in
>> Debian with wine.
>>
>> I tend to prefer AMD cards, but Nvidia cards are okay I guess as long
>> as they work well with Debian.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> _________________
>> PrivacyTools - Encryption and tools to protect against global mass
>> surveillance - https://www.privacytools.io -
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/
>> --
>> More secure, more flexible, and completely free video conferencing. Go
>> ahead, video chat with the whole team. In fact, invite everyone you
>> know. Jitsi Meet is a fully encrypted, 100% open source video
>> conferencing solution that you can use all day, every day, for free —
>> with no account needed.
>> https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/
>>
> I highly recommend Nvidia-based cards, if you don't mind closed-source
> drivers.
> Many (Most?) games with Linux-native ports officially support only
> Nvidia by game developers. I think, this is because of the drivers,
> their quality and stability.
> AMD-based card will usually work too, but (as long as I can remember)
> quality of their drivers were something to be desired and drivers for
> Linux are under heavy development, but they are open-source.
> In case of Proton\WINE, you could get mixed results, because some games
> (via DXVK) will work better with Nvidia and some are better with AMD.
> "Better" here as in "less graphical glitches, more performance and
> stability."
> To play modern games in 1080p 60fps with high graphics settings you
> would want minimum GTX1660 or better with 6Gb VRAM or more.

Hi, I have two kids and myself playing all kind of games on Steam
mainly, with protonplay (Steam customized Wine version), on regular
Wine, or standalone version (like GOG versions). All of us use AMD cards
and we could not be happier, I would not go back to dealing with Nvidia
drivers for anything. We used "Polaris10" generation cards (like RX570
and RX580), "Vega10" generation (Vega RX 56), and currently "Navy10"
(5700XT).
With Debian Stable you might have to use backports packages for optimal
performances with the latest generation of GPU, but any
Polaris/Vega/RadeonVII should work fine. Here we run Debian Unstable for
the gaming/multimedia machines and everything just works without the use
of any proprietary drivers (aside from the firmware provided by the
non-free Debian "firmware-amd-graphics" package.

For game specific compatibility reports the "protondb" website maintains
a good database [1], but it is only valid for Steam "Protonplay"
platform. Of course there are many native games which run great with
Debian and an AMD card, if you have a few specific titles in mind feel
free to ask.

Hope it helps.

[1] https://www.protondb.com/

Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card

Steven Mainor
I have to second the AMD cards. Their Open source drivers have improved
by leaps and bounds over the last couple years. I honestly believe the
open source drivers have even surpassed the closed source Nvidia ones
now.

I know that in the past AMD drivers provided a worse experience because
they were under developed but that simply isn't the case anymore in my
opinion. And at least for me supporting a company that absolutely
refuses to cooperate with open source communities (Nvidia) when there is
a good alternative like AMD is hard to justify.

---
Steven Mainor

On 2020-04-26 05:46, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> With Debian Stable you might have to use backports packages for
> optimal performances with the latest generation of GPU, but any
> Polaris/Vega/RadeonVII should work fine. Here we run Debian Unstable
> for the gaming/multimedia machines and everything just works without
> the use of any proprietary drivers (aside from the firmware provided
> by the non-free Debian "firmware-amd-graphics" package.
>
> For game specific compatibility reports the "protondb" website
> maintains a good database [1], but it is only valid for Steam
> "Protonplay" platform. Of course there are many native games which run
> great with Debian and an AMD card, if you have a few specific titles
> in mind feel free to ask.
>
> Hope it helps.
>

> [1] https://www.protondb.com/

Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

Dan Purgert
On Apr 25, 2020, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> I couldn't help noticing your .sig reference to Jitsi.  There were threads
> about it, as a good replacement for Zoom.  Also, there is a strong need in
> another online community that I belong to.
>
> How is your experience with a "room" with, say about 10 people in it with
> some using Video, but others preferring Audio only?

I tried it locally (with a LOCAL instance running) and it worked quite
nicely for half a dozen PCs / laptops around the house.  The only thing
I happen to be missing is the PSTN bridge ... but I haven't found one
that's stupid expensive (for an individual) to get started.

But wifey and family settled on Zoom before all the issues started
cropping up, and getting the "not techy" people to move would be far too
painful (read: wife doesn't even want to ask if they wanna try).

--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1  E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860

Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

Nicolas George-4
Dan Purgert (12020-04-27):
> I tried it locally (with a LOCAL instance running) and it worked quite
> nicely for half a dozen PCs / laptops around the house.

Oh, interesting.

Have you found a good set of instructions to set it up on a Debian?
People I know have been looking for and did not find.

  Nicolas George

Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

Russell L. Harris-2
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:54:46PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
>Dan Purgert (12020-04-27):
>> I tried it locally (with a LOCAL instance running) and it worked quite
>> nicely for half a dozen PCs / laptops around the house.
>
>Oh, interesting.
>
>Have you found a good set of instructions to set it up on a Debian?
>People I know have been looking for and did not find.

I do not have the URL, but Jitsi has a YouTube video which takes you
step-by-step through a server installation on Debian.  It is a nice
presentation; I have used it with success.

Beware:  the real jitsi is jitsi.org.  If you search for "jitsi", you
may end up on the web site of a "ww1.jitsi.com" (note that "ww1" is
not a typo).

Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

der.hans
Am 25. Apr, 2020 schwätzte Kenneth Parker so:

moin moin,

> I couldn't help noticing your .sig reference to Jitsi.  There were threads
> about it, as a good replacement for Zoom.  Also, there is a strong need in
> another online community that I belong to.
>
> How is your experience with a "room" with, say about 10 people in it with
> some using Video, but others preferring Audio only?

My experience with jitsi is that it's missing moderation tools. This has
been with meet.jit.si and with a paid for 8x8 account.

For a private event the password feature is probably sufficient as only
invetees will have the meeting URL and password.

Everyone can kick everyone, so open meetings ( where the password also had
to be distributed ) can easily be taken over by a troll. Also when kicked,
a troll need only hit return to rejoin the meeting.

Technically, it has worked well for my small meetings and for presenting
at and attending LibrePlanet. But in the era of zoombombing, I want
proactive moderation tools.

A local group has been running a Big Blue Button instance for years. In
addition to passwords for meeting rooms, BBB has a waiting room where
attendees need moderator approval to join a meeting. Also, only the
moderator can kick people out. Once kicked, trolls can rejoin, but are in
the waiting room.

BBB does have an 'All users join as moderators' setting if you prefer
meeting anarchy :).

The local group is running BBB on a home cable connection in the US and
has had a dozen people at a time in meetings. Most do not use video, so
not sure how it would work if everyone turns on their cameras.

Additionally, BBB was built for classroom use and ties into Moodle.

Last week I found Big Blue Meeting has hosted BBB accounts starting at
$40/month. I paid for an account and have been happy with it during the
small amount of testing thus far.

https://www.BigBlueMeeting.com/

ciao,

der.hans

--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  “If you think good design is expensive, you should look at the cost of
#  bad design.” – Ralf Speth

Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

Dan Ritter-4
Dan Purgert wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2020, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> > I couldn't help noticing your .sig reference to Jitsi.  There were threads
> > about it, as a good replacement for Zoom.  Also, there is a strong need in
> > another online community that I belong to.
> >
> > How is your experience with a "room" with, say about 10 people in it with
> > some using Video, but others preferring Audio only?
>
> I tried it locally (with a LOCAL instance running) and it worked quite
> nicely for half a dozen PCs / laptops around the house.  The only thing
> I happen to be missing is the PSTN bridge ... but I haven't found one
> that's stupid expensive (for an individual) to get started.

If I recall correctly, all that's needed is a SIP account with a
PSTN bridge company, so you might find that voip.ms or 8x8 or
any number of other companies might fill that need for a
reasonable price.

-dsr-

Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

Nicolas George-4
Russell L. Harris (12020-04-27):
> I do not have the URL, but Jitsi has a YouTube video which takes you
> step-by-step through a server installation on Debian.  It is a nice
> presentation; I have used it with success.

Is it the one you were thinking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KR0AhDZF2A

? If so, that is not a tutorial on installing a piece of software, that
is a tutorial on opening access to my computer to people I do not trust
much. No, thanks.

If Jitsi is really Libre Software, then it should be installable from
sources. This is the tutorial I am looking for.

  Nicolas George

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:53:39PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:

>Russell L. Harris (12020-04-27):
>> I do not have the URL, but Jitsi has a YouTube video which takes you
>> step-by-step through a server installation on Debian.  It is a nice
>> presentation; I have used it with success.
>
>Is it the one you were thinking about:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KR0AhDZF2A
>
>? If so, that is not a tutorial on installing a piece of software, that
>is a tutorial on opening access to my computer to people I do not trust
>much. No, thanks.
>
>If Jitsi is really Libre Software, then it should be installable from
>sources. This is the tutorial I am looking for.
>
>Regards,
>
>--
>  Nicolas George

As to "...opening access to [your] computer...", what do you mean?

The tutorial shows how to install jitsi from a Debian package.

At this time the package is not in the Debian archive, but if you have
the expertise you can create your own Debian package from the source,
which is available in github.

Do you not understand that jitsi is open source?

What kind of tutorial are you expecting to find?

RLH

Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

Nicolas George-4
Russell L. Harris (12020-04-27):
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KR0AhDZF2A

> As to "...opening access to [your] computer...", what do you mean?
>
> The tutorial shows how to install jitsi from a Debian package.

I we are indeed referring to the same video, it tells how to add an APT
source. Installing a package not from the distribution is risky because
bogus dependencies could block important upgrades. Adding a source does
that, and much worse: the new repository could override any system
package.

> At this time the package is not in the Debian archive, but if you have
> the expertise you can create your own Debian package from the source,
> which is available in github.

I know people, who I know are very skilled, failed to install this from
source, because of pletoric dependencies and/or languages with NIH
distribution schemes. So unless you did, please do not act as if it was
easy.

--
  Nicolas George

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 01:09:54AM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:

>Russell L. Harris (12020-04-27):
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KR0AhDZF2A
>
>> As to "...opening access to [your] computer...", what do you mean?
>>
>> The tutorial shows how to install jitsi from a Debian package.
>
>I we are indeed referring to the same video, it tells how to add an APT
>source. Installing a package not from the distribution is risky because
>bogus dependencies could block important upgrades. Adding a source does
>that, and much worse: the new repository could override any system
>package.
>
>> At this time the package is not in the Debian archive, but if you have
>> the expertise you can create your own Debian package from the source,
>> which is available in github.
>
>I know people, who I know are very skilled, failed to install this from
>source, because of pletoric dependencies and/or languages with NIH
>distribution schemes. So unless you did, please do not act as if it was
>easy.
>
>--
>  Nicolas George

There indeed is an element of risk in installing a package which does
not come from the Debian repository.  And, indeed, some packages are
not in the Debian repository because of incompatibilities with other
packages.  And creating a Debian package truly is more difficult than
is installing a package which someone else has created; I did not
claim otherwise.

With terms such as "bogus" and "pletoric" (sic; I presume you mean
"plethoric") you are implying malice and incompetence on the part of
jitsi.  Do you have evidence for such accusation?

Commonsense dictates that a conferencing server be run on dedicated
hardware, rather than on a computer which is vital to local
operations.  In this day of the "smartphone", surplus computers are
abundant and are priced cheaply.  As I stated, by following the video,
I successfully installed Jitsi on an old desktop running Debian 9 (or
perhaps it was Debian 10), and I successfully used the server for
video conferencing.

RLH

On Apr 27, 2020, Nicolas George wrote:
> Dan Purgert (12020-04-27):
> > I tried it locally (with a LOCAL instance running) and it worked quite
> > nicely for half a dozen PCs / laptops around the house.
>
> Oh, interesting.
>
> Have you found a good set of instructions to set it up on a Debian?
> People I know have been looking for and did not find.

Just followed the quickstart guide on their github page.  Basically it
was these handful of steps:

1. added the repo -- deb https://download.jitsi.org stable/
2. added the jitsi signing key -- EF8B479E2DC1389C
3. apt-get update && apt-get install jitsi-meet
4. whacked the config file because the STUN service didn't behave
properly for jitsi-videobridge or one of the other components.
5. followed the security things (dole out username & password for
meeting creation -- anyone can technically spin one up, but they're
stuck in a waiting room til I open it).

NOTE -- I'm running it on Buster.

On Apr 27, 2020, Dan Ritter wrote:
> [...]
> If I recall correctly, all that's needed is a SIP account with a
> PSTN bridge company, so you might find that voip.ms or 8x8 or
> any number of other companies might fill that need for a
> reasonable price.

That might be exactly what I was looking for -- all my (admittedly very
few) DDG searches picked up *business* style providers -- so $40 or $50
to get started, then $49.95 / month for 5 lines and blahblah (if paid
for a year in advance) that probably make a ton of sense for an office;
but not so much for a guy goofing around for 3-6 months tops.

Thanks for the suggestions!

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:53:39PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:

[...]

> If Jitsi is really Libre Software, then it should be installable from
> sources. This is the tutorial I am looking for.

Sigh. LMDDgIFY

Jitsi home page:

  https://jitsi.org/

List of projects:

  https://jitsi.org/projects/

I guess the talk here goes arount Jitsi videobridge (or is it
Jitsi desktop? You tell me). Anyway, Jitsi videobridge is here:

  https://jitsi.org/jitsi-videobridge/

There's a link to a source code repo (alas, github).

Have fun. And report here. Yes, it's free software (Videobridge is Apache 2.0).

Cheers
-- t