Preparing the next linux-2.6 2.6.17 upload: ABI bump?

Preparing the next linux-2.6 2.6.17 upload: ABI bump?

Frederik Schueler-2
Hello,

we have several changes pending which require an ABI bump, or at least
would cause the next upload to go through NEW:

- xen images
- merge of amd64 k8 and p4 flavours into one generic
- smp-alternatives for amd64, dropping the UP flavours
- change default compiler to gcc-4.1 for some architectures

I would like to schedule the upload for Wednesday, 9th August.
This should leave enough time to implement and test all changes
apropriately.

Please post other changes you want to implement, which require an ABI
bump or will cause the package to go through NEW (eg new flavours).

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG

Re: Preparing the next linux-2.6 2.6.17 upload: ABI bump?

Maximilian Attems-3
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 11:18:35AM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:

> we have several changes pending which require an ABI bump, or at least
> would cause the next upload to go through NEW:
>
> - xen images
> - merge of amd64 k8 and p4 flavours into one generic
> - smp-alternatives for amd64, dropping the UP flavours
> - change default compiler to gcc-4.1 for some architectures
  - bigmem image for 686

> I would like to schedule the upload for Wednesday, 9th August.
> This should leave enough time to implement and test all changes
> apropriately.

cool.

--
maks

Re: Preparing the next linux-2.6 2.6.17 upload: ABI bump?

Thiemo Seufer
Frederik Schueler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have several changes pending which require an ABI bump, or at least
> would cause the next upload to go through NEW:
>
> - xen images
> - merge of amd64 k8 and p4 flavours into one generic
> - smp-alternatives for amd64, dropping the UP flavours
> - change default compiler to gcc-4.1 for some architectures

- Hopefully a SGI Origin kernel

Thiemo

Re: Preparing the next linux-2.6 2.6.17 upload: ABI bump?

Martin Michlmayr
* Frederik Schueler <[hidden email]> [2006-08-01 11:18]:
> Please post other changes you want to implement, which require an ABI
> bump or will cause the package to go through NEW (eg new flavours).

New IOP32x flavour on ARM.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

Re: Preparing the next linux-2.6 2.6.17 upload: ABI bump?

Bastian Blank
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 04:06:59PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Frederik Schueler <[hidden email]> [2006-08-01 11:18]:
> > Please post other changes you want to implement, which require an ABI
> > bump or will cause the package to go through NEW (eg new flavours).
> New IOP32x flavour on ARM.

Please try to find a way to reduce the build time for arm if you want to
add new images. Currently it needs more than 40 hours.

Bastian

--
Each kiss is as the first.
                -- Miramanee, Kirk's wife, "The Paradise Syndrome",

Re: Preparing the next linux-2.6 2.6.17 upload: ABI bump?

Martin Michlmayr
* Bastian Blank <[hidden email]> [2006-08-01 14:41]:
> > > Please post other changes you want to implement, which require an ABI
> > > bump or will cause the package to go through NEW (eg new flavours).
> > New IOP32x flavour on ARM.
>
> Please try to find a way to reduce the build time for arm if you want to
> add new images. Currently it needs more than 40 hours.

I'm working on dropping the nslu2 flavour but that'll probably take a
few weeks.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/