Problem with Korean involving fonts and fontconfig

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem with Korean involving fonts and fontconfig

Chuck Williams-2
I'm new to i18n and font issues in Debain.  I've loaded xfonts-baekmuk
package to get Korean fonts, along with the relevant scim and uim
packages for a Korean input method.  The font files are properly
installed into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/.  dfontmgr verifies that
they are installed according to defoma.

However, fc-list does not show them installed according to fontconfig.
In fact, fc-list :lang=ko is empty.  Also, applications that use fontmgr
get an error on start-up or other early operation that does not
necessarily involve any Korean.  For example, xemacs complains at
start-up with:

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

and then complains further after the first C-x C-f with:

(1) (xim-xlib/warning) Can't get fontset resource for Input Method

I've done fc-cache -vf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi to try to get
fontconfig to recognize the baekmuk fonts.  This operation rebuilds the
cache for all the other 75dpi fonts, but ignores the baekmuk font files
without complaining.

Also, I've loaded openoffice.org-I10n-ko to get Korean fonts in
openoffice and attempted to configure things, but the Korean fonts do
not show as available in the fonts list.  Also, Tools Hangul/Hanja
conversation... menu item has appeared, but clicking it does nothing.

Can anybody provide some tips to get past these obstacles?

Thanks,

Chuck


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Korean involving fonts and fontconfig

Arne Götje (=?utf-8?q?=E9=AB=98=E7=9B=9B=E8=8F=AF?=)-2
On Sunday 14 August 2005 03:27, Chuck Williams wrote:
> I'm new to i18n and font issues in Debain.  I've loaded
> xfonts-baekmuk package to get Korean fonts, along with the relevant
> scim and uim packages for a Korean input method.  The font files are
> properly installed into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/.  dfontmgr
> verifies that they are installed according to defoma.

Try the ttf-unfonts package. The Unfonts are nicer than baekmuk. :)
And they are recognized by fontconfig.

> Also, I've loaded openoffice.org-I10n-ko to get Korean fonts in
> openoffice and attempted to configure things, but the Korean fonts do
> not show as available in the fonts list.  Also, Tools Hangul/Hanja
> conversation... menu item has appeared, but clicking it does nothing.

This depends on the font if it supports this feature or not. AFAIK the
Hangul/Hanja conversion is simply a substitution feature in OTF/TTF. If
the font doesn't support this (and I guess they don't, because it's a
lot of work to do the mapping), then the OO.o function won't work.

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <[hidden email]>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/685D1E8C
Fingerprint: 2056 F6B7 DEA8 B478 311F  1C34 6E9F D06E 685D 1E8C
Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net.   Encrypted e-mail preferred.


attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Korean involving fonts and fontconfig

Chuck Williams-2
Arne Götje (高盛華) wrote:
On Sunday 14 August 2005 03:27, Chuck Williams wrote:
  
I'm new to i18n and font issues in Debain.  I've loaded
xfonts-baekmuk package to get Korean fonts, along with the relevant
scim and uim packages for a Korean input method.  The font files are
properly installed into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/.  dfontmgr
verifies that they are installed according to defoma.
    

Try the ttf-unfonts package. The Unfonts are nicer than baekmuk. :)
And they are recognized by fontconfig.
  
Ahh, much better!
  
Also, I've loaded openoffice.org-I10n-ko to get Korean fonts in
openoffice and attempted to configure things, but the Korean fonts do
not show as available in the fonts list.  Also, Tools Hangul/Hanja
conversation... menu item has appeared, but clicking it does nothing.
    

This depends on the font if it supports this feature or not. AFAIK the 
Hangul/Hanja conversion is simply a substitution feature in OTF/TTF. If 
the font doesn't support this (and I guess they don't, because it's a 
lot of work to do the mapping), then the OO.o function won't work.
  
I've got Thunderbird, Openoffice, Xemacs, etc. all working with Korean now.  Part of this was having ttf-unfonts so that fontmanager could find Korean fonts, and part was just my discovering how to properly activate the input method in each case.  I uninstalled uim to simplify things as it isn't required to use scim.  I'm still getting the funny initial errors in xemacs, but they are not that annoying and all works after skipping past them -- will try to figure that out at a later time.  Perhaps it is emacs attempting to find fonts every language in list-input-methods.  I don't have fonts for all of them.

감사합니다,

Chuck
Cheers
Arne
  
-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]