Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

Thorsten-4
Hi,
my desktop is mate on a Thinkpad T480s. Under preferences
system->preferences->view->Window you can activate "Programmkomposit der
Fensterverwaltung aktivieren" in english "Activate program composite
window management". You can get a preview of your windows with key
ALT-TAB.

If I activate this, the preview is OK. But the X-Server create a lot of
errors per second like this:

[237861.491] (EE) modeset(0): Failed to get GBM bo for flip to new
front.
[237861.491] (EE) modeset(0): present flip failed

It could be a bug. But how I proceed? Where is the bug, or how can I
configure that right?

regards Thorsten

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

Thorsten-4
Hi,

if nobody has a answer or idea. Can somebody tell me which debian
package has the error? Is it a mate error or the x-server? I want to
report the bug.

Thorsten

On 02.06.19 12:30, Thorsten wrote:

> Hi,
> my desktop is mate on a Thinkpad T480s. Under preferences
> system->preferences->view->Window you can activate "Programmkomposit
> der Fensterverwaltung aktivieren" in english "Activate program
> composite window management". You can get a preview of your windows
> with key ALT-TAB.
>
> If I activate this, the preview is OK. But the X-Server create a lot
> of errors per second like this:
>
> [237861.491] (EE) modeset(0): Failed to get GBM bo for flip to new front.
> [237861.491] (EE) modeset(0): present flip failed
>
> It could be a bug. But how I proceed? Where is the bug, or how can I
> configure that right?
>
> regards Thorsten
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:54:28 +0200
Thorsten <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Thorsten,

>if nobody has a answer or idea. Can somebody tell me which debian
>package has the error?

A very cursory internet search resulted in this;
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1645553
(I'm surprised you couldn't find this yourself)
with a pointer to;
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=909041

RedHat seems to have possible workarounds(1).  No activity on Debian, it
seems.

(1) I can't test, as I don't have the problem here - different DE,
hardware, etc.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
My limbs are like palm trees swaying in the breeze
Mirage - Siouxsie & The Banshees

attachment0 (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

Thorsten Nicklaus
Hi Brad,

that is exactly what I am looking for. Could not explain why my search
where so unprofessional.

I have to see whats happen

Thank you

On 06.06.19 13:18, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:54:28 +0200
> Thorsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Thorsten,
>
>> if nobody has a answer or idea. Can somebody tell me which debian
>> package has the error?
> A very cursory internet search resulted in this;
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1645553
> (I'm surprised you couldn't find this yourself)
> with a pointer to;
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=909041
>
> RedHat seems to have possible workarounds(1).  No activity on Debian, it
> seems.
>
> (1) I can't test, as I don't have the problem here - different DE,
> hardware, etc.
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 18:20:38 +0200
Thorsten Nicklaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Thorsten,

>that is exactly what I am looking for. Could not explain why my search
>where so unprofessional.

What I found was the first hit here.  It can depend on exact search
terms, and which search engine one uses, obviously.  In case you're
interested, I use DuckDuckGo rather than google.  There's far less
pushing of sponsored material to the top of the list for a start.

>Thank you

My pleasure.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Well I don't want you to think I'm being obscene
Fish - The Damned

attachment0 (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 07:33:13PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 18:20:38 +0200
> Thorsten Nicklaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Thorsten,
>
> >that is exactly what I am looking for. Could not explain why my search
> >where so unprofessional.
>
> What I found was the first hit here.  It can depend on exact search
> terms, and which search engine one uses, obviously.
...and who the search engine thinks you are [1]...

>                                                     In case you're
> interested, I use DuckDuckGo rather than google.  There's far less
> pushing of sponsored material to the top of the list for a start.

...although this won't happen with DuckDuckGo, because they try
to avoid that.

[1] A friend of mine, biologist, heavily relying on Google search
   for her work, once told me that when she worked from home, the
   search results for exactly the same terms turned up totally
   different results (somehow less related to biology, she felt).
   Once I explained her how that works, I think Google has one
   user less and DDG one more :-)

Cheers
-- t

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

John Hasler-3
> A friend of mine, biologist, heavily relying on Google search for her
>work, once told me that when she worked from home, the search results
>for exactly the same terms turned up totally different results (somehow
>less related to biology, she felt).  Once I explained her how that
>works, I think Google has one user less and DDG one more :-)

I've tried the Duck.  Great idea, but it's inadequate.  Just block
Google's cookies and scripts and it works fine.  They don't rank stuff
higher for money: their predecessors got caught doing that and it's one
of the reasons Google succeeded (they have ads, of course: it's how they
pay for the service).  What their software *does* do, assuming that you
allow their cookies and script, is try to learn your preferences so that
it can take what it thinks are your interests into account when ordering
search results.  This works pretty well for the average user who is
really only interested in major league sports and celebrities.
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 03:51:20PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:

[...]

> I've tried the Duck.  Great idea, but it's inadequate.

For you, perhaps. For me, it works wonderfully: I had to
adapt my queries a bit, but knowing that DDG hasn't the
"context knowledge" I learnt how to.

> Just block Google's cookies and scripts and it works fine [...]

I don't even want to feed them the info that I'm looking
for something. They are far too powerful for my taste,
dominating the ad industry, the search engine, the client
and the mobile.

Cheers
-- t

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

John Hasler-3
I wrote:
> Just block Google's cookies and scripts and it works fine [...]

tomas writes:
> I don't even want to feed them the info that I'm looking
> for something.

Since I'm anonymous[1] to them the only use they can make of that
information is to note that someone has shown interest in the item and
perhaps rank it higher when someone else looks for it.  Why should I
object to that?

> They are far too powerful for my taste, dominating the ad industry,
> the search engine, the client and the mobile.

Since their ads never result in me buying anything (actually I rarely
even see them), I'm costing them money by using their search engine.


[1] Yes, they could track my (dynamic) ip and/or "fingerprint" my
system.  They won't.  I'm not worth it to them.
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

Nicholas Geovanis-2
On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 4:46 PM John Hasler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since their ads never result in me buying anything (actually I rarely
even see them), I'm costing them money by using their search engine.

Well not really costing them anything. Their costs are amortized over so many other
transactions, and their profit margins built-in. 
And don't forget to take depreciation into account :-)
At compound depreciation interest, they wrote off the cost of each server against their corporate
income taxes in about 5 years.

--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

Paul Sutton-2
In reply to this post by John Hasler-3


On 06/06/2019 21:51, John Hasler wrote:

>> A friend of mine, biologist, heavily relying on Google search for her
>> work, once told me that when she worked from home, the search results
>> for exactly the same terms turned up totally different results (somehow
>> less related to biology, she felt).  Once I explained her how that
>> works, I think Google has one user less and DDG one more :-)
>
> I've tried the Duck.  Great idea, but it's inadequate.  Just block
> Google's cookies and scripts and it works fine.  They don't rank stuff
> higher for money: their predecessors got caught doing that and it's one
> of the reasons Google succeeded (they have ads, of course: it's how they
> pay for the service).  What their software *does* do, assuming that you
> allow their cookies and script, is try to learn your preferences so that
> it can take what it thinks are your interests into account when ordering
> search results.  This works pretty well for the average user who is
> really only interested in major league sports and celebrities.
>
Thanks for the tip here on blocking google cookies and scripts,  not
quite sure how to do that, so I will look in to it.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/zleap/
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

tomas@tuxteam.de
In reply to this post by John Hasler-3
On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 04:46:26PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Just block Google's cookies and scripts and it works fine [...]
>
> tomas writes:
> > I don't even want to feed them the info that I'm looking
> > for something.

[...]

> Since their ads never result in me buying anything (actually I rarely
> even see them), I'm costing them money by using their search engine.

That's at least what you think.

> [1] Yes, they could track my (dynamic) ip and/or "fingerprint" my
> system.  They won't.  I'm not worth it to them.

They do. That's at their business model's very heart.

Cheers
-- t

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with Mate in Buster on T480s

Greg Wooledge
In reply to this post by John Hasler-3
On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 03:51:20PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> What their software *does* do, assuming that you
> allow their cookies and script, is try to learn your preferences so that
> it can take what it thinks are your interests into account when ordering
> search results.  This works pretty well for the average user who is
> really only interested in major league sports and celebrities.

In my experience, it works pretty well for technical users too, as it
learns that yes, I want the computer-techie version of this term, or
the medical-industry version, rather than the sports-and-celebs version.