Problem with clock

Joseph Smidt-2
Ever since I installed unstable the clock never recieves the correct time.  When I try to resync or restart the computer I get this error message:
select() /dev/rtc clock tick timed out

    Does anybody know what this error is or how I can fix it?
                                                     Joseph Smidt

       Joseph Smidt

Re: Problem with clock

Rodney D. Myers-3
On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:15:31 -0600
"Joseph Smidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ever since I installed unstable the clock never recieves the correct time.
> When I try to resync or restart the computer I get this error message:
> select() /dev/rtc clock tick timed out
>
>     Does anybody know what this error is or how I can fix it?
>                                                      Joseph Smidt

>        Joseph Smidt
>      [hidden email]
Not necessarily the answer you want, but install ntpdate, and use this;

sudo /usr/sbin/ntpdate -b -u pool.ntp.org

I run that as a script once a week, and I keep fairly accurate time.

--
Rodney D. Myers <[hidden email]>
Registered Linux User #96112

        Ben Franklin - 1759

Re: Problem with clock

marty-17
Joseph Smidt wrote:
> Ever since I installed unstable the clock never recieves the correct time.
> When I try to resync or restart the computer I get this error message:
> select() /dev/rtc clock tick timed out
>
>     Does anybody know what this error is or how I can fix it?
>                                                      Joseph Smidt

If you changed kernels, you may be missing your RTC driver.

Re: Problem with clock

anoop aryal
On Wednesday 17 May 2006 15:28, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:15:31 -0600
>
> "Joseph Smidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Ever since I installed unstable the clock never recieves the correct
> > time. When I try to resync or restart the computer I get this error
> > message: select() /dev/rtc clock tick timed out
> >
> >     Does anybody know what this error is or how I can fix it?
> >                                                      Joseph Smidt
> >
> > --
> >        Joseph Smidt
> >      [hidden email]
>
> Not necessarily the answer you want, but install ntpdate, and use this;
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/ntpdate -b -u pool.ntp.org
>
> I run that as a script once a week, and I keep fairly accurate time.

i don't recall what the -b does but you may not want to use ntpdate on a
regular basis. ntp-simple or chrony would be a better option. typically,
ntpdate should be used at startup (or the very first time you're setting up
ntp) and then let ntp slew the time while the OS is running. otherwise you
might end up with erratic jumps in time which could screw things up if you
have time sensitive apps..

--

anoop aryal

Re: Problem with clock

Rodney D. Myers-3
On Thu, 18 May 2006 11:05:36 -0500
anoop aryal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 15:28, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:15:31 -0600
> >
> > "Joseph Smidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Ever since I installed unstable the clock never recieves the correct
> > > time. When I try to resync or restart the computer I get this error
> > > message: select() /dev/rtc clock tick timed out
> > >
> > >     Does anybody know what this error is or how I can fix it?
> > >                                                      Joseph Smidt
> > >
> > > --
> > >        Joseph Smidt
> > >      [hidden email]
> >
> > Not necessarily the answer you want, but install ntpdate, and use this;
> >
> > sudo /usr/sbin/ntpdate -b -u pool.ntp.org
> >
> > I run that as a script once a week, and I keep fairly accurate time.
>
> i don't recall what the -b does but you may not want to use ntpdate on a
> regular basis. ntp-simple or chrony would be a better option. typically,
> ntpdate should be used at startup (or the very first time you're setting up
> ntp) and then let ntp slew the time while the OS is running. otherwise you
> might end up with erratic jumps in time which could screw things up if you
> have time sensitive apps..
I manually run ntpdate maybe once a week. My system clock appears to be
fairly accurate. Now that I've said that, someone will probably point
out that it isn't ;-)