Problem with pxe-Installation

Frank Weißer-4
Hello,

during Summer I set up a new edu9 server. Now, after updating to 9.6, i
wanted to set up a workstation via pxe boot. That failed because of
problems with using the archive mirror.

Indeed, on konsole 4, I found the last two wget instructions:
wget ... http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/Release...
ends in
INFO: mirror does not have any suite symlinks

And next
wget ... http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/Release...
results in
Warning **: mirror does not support the specified release (stretch)

On my produktiv system 9.6 installation on the same notebook works.

Where do I start to look?

readU
Frank

Re: Problem with pxe-Installation

Wolfgang Schweer-3
On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 03:58:29PM +0100, Frank Weißer wrote:
> during Summer I set up a new edu9 server. Now, after updating to 9.6, i
> wanted to set up a workstation via pxe boot.

You just have to run 'debian-edu-pxe-install' to update the PXE build
environment after the point release.

Wolfgang

Re: Problem with pxe-Installation

Frank Weißer-4
Hello Wolfgang

Wolfgang Schweer:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 03:58:29PM +0100, Frank Weißer wrote:
>> during Summer I set up a new edu9 server. Now, after updating to 9.6, i
>> wanted to set up a workstation via pxe boot.
>
> You just have to run 'debian-edu-pxe-install' to update the PXE build
> environment after the point release.

running
 > debian-edu-pxe-install
didn't solve the problem. AFAIR I never ran it on my productiv system
and pxe-install is working nevertheless.
Trying i386 instead of amd64 didn't help too.

readU
Frank

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 10:48:51AM +0100, Frank Weißer wrote:
> AFAIR I never ran it on my productiv system and pxe-install is working
> nevertheless.

Correct, maybe the following could be of help.

Please check /etc/environment on the main server:

Run 'cat /etc/environment', the content should be:

http_proxy=http://webcache:3128
ftp_proxy=http://webcache:3128
https_proxy=http://webcache:3128

Maybe the content is corrupted (webcache:3128 missing).

Run '/usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/update-proxy-from-wpad' to fix
it.

Run 'debian-edu-pxeinstall' to regenerate
the /etc/debian-edu/www/debian-edu-install.dat file

This file should now contain the right proxy settings.

Wolfgang

Re: Problem with pxe-Installation

Frank Weißer-4
Moin Wolfgang,Wolfgang Schweer:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 10:48:51AM +0100, Frank Weißer wrote:
>> AFAIR I never ran it on my productiv system and pxe-install is working
>> nevertheless.
>
> Correct, maybe the following could be of help.
>
> Please check /etc/environment on the main server:
>
> Run 'cat /etc/environment', the content should be:
>
> http_proxy=http://webcache:3128
> ftp_proxy=http://webcache:3128
> https_proxy=http://webcache:3128
>
> Maybe the content is corrupted (webcache:3128 missing).
>
> Run '/usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/update-proxy-from-wpad' to fix
> it.
>
> Run 'debian-edu-pxeinstall' to regenerate
> the /etc/debian-edu/www/debian-edu-install.dat file
>
> This file should now contain the right proxy settings.

that did the trick. But my productiv system still misses those Entries
and works ???

However: Weekend for now!

Thanks a lot so far.

readU
Frank

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 01:39:10PM +0100, Frank Weißer wrote:
> > Run 'debian-edu-pxeinstall' to regenerate
> > the /etc/debian-edu/www/debian-edu-install.dat file
> >
> > This file should now contain the right proxy settings.
> >

> that did the trick. But my productiv system still misses those Entries and
> works ???

An explanation would be that the content has been correct at
installation time (when the /etc/debian-edu/www/debian-edu-install.dat
file had been generated), but got corrupted later, maybe after reboots.

This shouldn't happen any more with the Debian Edu Buster release.

Wolfgang