Problem with the two audio devices

Bastian Venthur-3
Hi,

since a couple of weeks, I have two audio devices to choose for audio
output. One is "Speakers" and the other is "Analog Output" (translated
from German). The problem is, that I have to switch very often between
the two of them, depending if I have my laptop in the docking station,
the headphones in or just using it as is -- one output will produce
output and the other will not.

Before, I never had to switch anything and it always worked. Is there a
way to tell Gnome (I suspect it is a Gnome issue since it started AFAIK
with 3.8 or 3.12) to combine the two, Or at least do something
automatically? From my point of view the laptop should have only one
output device.

Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong list.

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org

Re: Problem with the two audio devices

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort-4
On 22/05/14 11:00, Bastian Venthur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since a couple of weeks, I have two audio devices to choose for audio
> output. One is "Speakers" and the other is "Analog Output" (translated
> from German). The problem is, that I have to switch very often between
> the two of them, depending if I have my laptop in the docking station,
> the headphones in or just using it as is -- one output will produce
> output and the other will not.
>
> Before, I never had to switch anything and it always worked. Is there a
> way to tell Gnome (I suspect it is a Gnome issue since it started AFAIK
> with 3.8 or 3.12) to combine the two, Or at least do something
> automatically? From my point of view the laptop should have only one
> output device.

I have exactly the same issue with my x230. When docking it, I have to manually
change the output. It was working fine with 3.8 a while ago but is now broken,
still in 3.8. Could have been a kernel regression, or pulseaudio. I haven't
investigated it yet though.

Cheers,
Emilio

Re: Problem with the two audio devices

SDA-2
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:16:11AM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:

> On 22/05/14 11:00, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since a couple of weeks, I have two audio devices to choose for audio
> > output. One is "Speakers" and the other is "Analog Output" (translated
> > from German). The problem is, that I have to switch very often between
> > the two of them, depending if I have my laptop in the docking station,
> > the headphones in or just using it as is -- one output will produce
> > output and the other will not.
> >
> > Before, I never had to switch anything and it always worked. Is there a
> > way to tell Gnome (I suspect it is a Gnome issue since it started AFAIK
> > with 3.8 or 3.12) to combine the two, Or at least do something
> > automatically? From my point of view the laptop should have only one
> > output device.
>
> I have exactly the same issue with my x230. When docking it, I have to manually
> change the output. It was working fine with 3.8 a while ago but is now broken,
> still in 3.8. Could have been a kernel regression, or pulseaudio. I haven't
> investigated it yet though.

---end quoted text---

I had this issue happen (once) too - when I plugged in my earphones
after updating Jessie on my X300 the other day. It was a toogle from one
to the other very similar to what you two refer to. Haven't had it
happen since though <shrug>.

Re: Problem with the two audio devices

Bastian Venthur-3
Since the update to gnome 3.12 the problem got more severe, since you
have to go into system settings / audio to change the audio device.
Before 3.12 you could access the audio setting by clicking on the
speaker icon on the top right.

Any chance this will get fixed? Is there any information I could provide
that could be useful to track down the problem?

Cheers,

Bastian