Problem with windows-key

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem with windows-key

Roman Kreisel
Hi out there,

I just did an "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" on my
debian-unstable-box for the first time since somewhen in June. I also
switched from xserver-xfree86 to xserver-xorg.
Almost everything worked fine (for those who might be interested: minor
problems with xfree86-driver-synaptics, kmail), but i can't use my
win+something-shortcuts anymore. E.g. when i pressed "win+r", the run-dialog
was opened. Or win+x made amaroK play my songs.
Those don't work anymore, but therefore, as soon as i press the win-key, the
k-menu opens. I guess it somehow catches the key-event before the other
shortcuts can. Any idea how to change back to the old behaviour?

Regards
Roman

--
The next statement is not true.
The previous statement is true.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

Roman Kreisel
On Friday 15 July 2005 17:46, Roman Kreisel wrote:

Well... i just found out: It wasn't a kde-problem but an X.Org-Problem. I
changed from "driver \"keyboard\"" to "driver \"kbd\"" and everything works
fine now.

--
1+1=10!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

David Martínez Moreno
El Viernes, 15 de Julio de 2005 18:10, Roman Kreisel escribió:
> On Friday 15 July 2005 17:46, Roman Kreisel wrote:
>
> Well... i just found out: It wasn't a kde-problem but an X.Org-Problem. I
> changed from "driver \"keyboard\"" to "driver \"kbd\"" and everything works
> fine now.

        Hello, Roman. Could you elaborate more on this subject? I mean, which is the
difference between those two drivers?

        Best regards,


                Ender.
--
- Kyle, all those times I said you were a dumb, stupid Jew,
  well, I was wrong, you're not a Jew.
- Cartman, I *am* Jewish!
- There, there, don't be hard on yourself, Kyle.
                -- Cartman & Kyle (South Park).
--
Debian developer

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

ze phyr
> > On Friday 15 July 2005 17:46, Roman Kreisel wrote:
> > Well... i just found out: It wasn't a kde-problem but an X.Org-Problem. I
> > changed from "driver \"keyboard\"" to "driver \"kbd\"" and everything works
> > fine now.

win-key does not work for me here either. I am using kde 3.4.1 and in my
XF86Config-4, the keyboard is pc104. I did what you suggested above: to make
driver from keyboard to kbd but win-key still can't work.

Could anyone hint me on how to make win-key back to work again?


regards,


bxuef



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

David Martínez Moreno
El Martes, 19 de Julio de 2005 17:26, bxuefeng escribió:

> > > On Friday 15 July 2005 17:46, Roman Kreisel wrote:
> > > Well... i just found out: It wasn't a kde-problem but an X.Org-Problem.
> > > I changed from "driver \"keyboard\"" to "driver \"kbd\"" and everything
> > > works fine now.
>
> win-key does not work for me here either. I am using kde 3.4.1 and in my
> XF86Config-4, the keyboard is pc104. I did what you suggested above: to
> make driver from keyboard to kbd but win-key still can't work.
>
> Could anyone hint me on how to make win-key back to work again?
        Maybe pc105 will do the trick?

        Best regards,


                Ender.
--
Los sistemas me pasado los correos de las personas contradas pero los
@red.es.
                -- Jesús Sanz de las Heras (RedIRIS).
--
Debian developer

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

James Wells-2
On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:36:42PM +0200, David Martínez Moreno wrote:

> El Martes, 19 de Julio de 2005 17:26, bxuefeng escribió:
> > > > On Friday 15 July 2005 17:46, Roman Kreisel wrote:
> > > > Well... i just found out: It wasn't a kde-problem but an X.Org-Problem.
> > > > I changed from "driver \"keyboard\"" to "driver \"kbd\"" and everything
> > > > works fine now.
> >
> > win-key does not work for me here either. I am using kde 3.4.1 and in my
> > XF86Config-4, the keyboard is pc104. I did what you suggested above: to
> > make driver from keyboard to kbd but win-key still can't work.
> >
> > Could anyone hint me on how to make win-key back to work again?
>
> Maybe pc105 will do the trick?

I have a British 105-key keyboard and the Windows-key works fine (I use
Win-[1-6] to change desktop). I seem to remember it not working immediately
after the upgrade to XOrg, until I added the "nodeadkeys" variant I think. You
can do that using dpkg-reconfigure... or edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

My keyboard section looks like:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Cheers

James Wells


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

ze phyr
In reply to this post by David Martínez Moreno
On 12:36 Wed 20 Jul     , David Martínez Moreno wrote:
> El Martes, 19 de Julio de 2005 17:26, bxuefeng escribió:
> > win-key does not work for me here either. I am using kde 3.4.1 and in my
> > XF86Config-4, the keyboard is pc104. I did what you suggested above: to
> > make driver from keyboard to kbd but win-key still can't work.
> >
> > Could anyone hint me on how to make win-key back to work again?
>
> Maybe pc105 will do the trick?

I tried that in both xfree86 and xorg but nothing changed.

How did you configure your keyboard? I am using us keyboard layout and just
followed default configuration process. Are there other things I missed?

Thanks.


bxuef


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

David Martínez Moreno
El Miércoles, 20 de Julio de 2005 16:28, bxuefeng escribió:

> On 12:36 Wed 20 Jul     , David Martínez Moreno wrote:
> > El Martes, 19 de Julio de 2005 17:26, bxuefeng escribió:
> > > win-key does not work for me here either. I am using kde 3.4.1 and in
> > > my XF86Config-4, the keyboard is pc104. I did what you suggested above:
> > > to make driver from keyboard to kbd but win-key still can't work.
> > >
> > > Could anyone hint me on how to make win-key back to work again?
> >
> > Maybe pc105 will do the trick?
>
> I tried that in both xfree86 and xorg but nothing changed.
>
> How did you configure your keyboard? I am using us keyboard layout and just
> followed default configuration process. Are there other things I missed?
        Mmmm...kcontrol, Accesibility and whatever, Keyboard layout, Xkb Options,
near the end: Alt/Win key behaviour.

        Change it from none to Associate Meta to Win key, for example. This way you
might use shortcuts associated to Win key (i.e. Win-number to switch
desktops, as James said).

        Best regards,


                Ender.
--
- Kyle, all those times I said you were a dumb, stupid Jew,
  well, I was wrong, you're not a Jew.
- Cartman, I *am* Jewish!
- There, there, don't be hard on yourself, Kyle.
                -- Cartman & Kyle (South Park).
--
Debian developer

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

ze phyr
On 16:47 Wed 20 Jul     , David Martínez Moreno wrote:
> Mmmm...kcontrol, Accesibility and whatever, Keyboard layout, Xkb Options,
> near the end: Alt/Win key behaviour.
>
> Change it from none to Associate Meta to Win key, for example. This way you
> might use shortcuts associated to Win key (i.e. Win-number to switch
> desktops, as James said).

Thanks for the tip. The reason I want win-key enabled is that I want
that key brings up Desktop Menu.

Is there any way to do it?

regards,


bxuef



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with windows-key

David Martínez Moreno
El Miércoles, 20 de Julio de 2005 20:09, bxuefeng escribió:

> On 16:47 Wed 20 Jul     , David Martínez Moreno wrote:
> > Mmmm...kcontrol, Accesibility and whatever, Keyboard layout, Xkb
> > Options, near the end: Alt/Win key behaviour.
> >
> > Change it from none to Associate Meta to Win key, for example. This way
> > you might use shortcuts associated to Win key (i.e. Win-number to switch
> > desktops, as James said).
>
> Thanks for the tip. The reason I want win-key enabled is that I want
> that key brings up Desktop Menu.
>
> Is there any way to do it?
        I think that there is another option like "Use Win key to bring KDE Menu" or
something in the same menu.

        Best regards,


                Ender.
--
What was that, honey? It was bad. It had no fire, no energy, no nothing.
 So tomorrow from 5 to 7 will you PLEASE act like you have more than a
 two word vocabulary. It must be green.
                -- DJ Ruby Rhod (The Fifth Element).
--
Debian developer

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment