Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Carlos-8
Hello to all,

first of, great community. This is my first post but I have read a lot of threads on this mailing list. And I’m a totally noob on Linux.

I would like to install Debian from a USB-Stick, but sadly it fails.

First off, my system requirements:

Apple PowerBook G4 1.5GHz
Model Identifier: PowerBook6,8 (February 2005)
Model Number: A1104
Boot-ROM Version: 4.9.0f0
OS: MacOS X v10.4.11

These steps I have done so far:

1. Downloaded Debian 8.8.0 non-free Firmware edition from here: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.8.0+nonfree/powerpc/iso-cd/
2. I copied the ISO to USB-Stick with this command:
sudo dd if=/Users/test/Downloads/firmware-8.8.0-powerpc-netinst.iso of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m

After I performed this command, I got:
308+1 records in
308+1 records out
323665920 bytes transferred in 27.002575 secs (11986484 bytes/sec)

And the stick appears in the Finder called „Debian/PowerPC_jessie (with lot of folders, e. g. install/yaboot)

The USB-Stick is shown in the disk utility as follows:
File system: MacOS standard (disk1s2)
Partition type: Apple_HFS (Apple partition scheme)

3. Booting the PowerBook in OpenFirmware
4. typed dev / ls and devalias

As described there: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2012/08/msg00042.html

But I don’t find the USB-Stick. I also tried this command: „boot ud:,\\:tbxi“ as described there: http://ben-collins.blogspot.de/2010/08/booting-your-ibook-g4-from-usb-stick.html

But only it appears a no stopping sign.  I also have tried a different Stick. The first one with 2GB, the second with 8GB.

Could maybe someone give me a advice, please?

Thanks in advance
Carlos

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Mathieu Malaterre-4
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Carlos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> first of, great community. This is my first post but I have read a lot of threads on this mailing list. And I’m a totally noob on Linux.
>
> I would like to install Debian from a USB-Stick, but sadly it fails.

Here is what I use:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/04/msg00081.html

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

richard kuenz-3
This helped me when i needed to boot usb

http://mintppc.org/content/installation-mintppc-92

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Mathieu Malaterre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Carlos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello to all,
>>
>> first of, great community. This is my first post but I have read a lot of threads on this mailing list. And I’m a totally noob on Linux.
>>
>> I would like to install Debian from a USB-Stick, but sadly it fails.
>
> Here is what I use:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/04/msg00081.html

Sorry about that, I meant:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/04/msg00103.html

The previous link was my first attempt. Burning the ISO directly seems
to work in a lot of cases.

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Luke-7
Hi Carlos, have you tried to write the complete OF boot path to the USB key?
Also on my PowerBook the shortcut wont run.
Bye.

But I don’t find the USB-Stick. I also tried this command: „boot ud:,\\:tbxi“ as described there: http://ben-collins.blogspot.de/2010/08/booting-your-ibook-g4-from-usb-stick.html

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Carlos-8
Mathieu,

thanks for your help.
But sadly, I don’t find anything like:
    /pci@f2000000
      /usb@18
        /disk@1

The „disk“ connected to USB I don’t find. But the LED on the USB-Stick is burning.

Any ideas?
Karl

> Am 18.05.2017 um 08:14 schrieb Mathieu Malaterre <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Mathieu Malaterre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Carlos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello to all,
>>>
>>> first of, great community. This is my first post but I have read a lot of threads on this mailing list. And I’m a totally noob on Linux.
>>>
>>> I would like to install Debian from a USB-Stick, but sadly it fails.
>>
>> Here is what I use:
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/04/msg00081.html
>
> Sorry about that, I meant:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/04/msg00103.html
>
> The previous link was my first attempt. Burning the ISO directly seems
> to work in a lot of cases.

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Carlos-8
Hello Richard,

I tried the following in the link you posted:

To do the same in OSX, do the following. First convert the .iso file to an .img file in OSX so that it can be written to a USB stick:

        hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/source.iso

After I hit return, it appears the „target.img“, but after the operation is done, the „target.img“ is disappearing.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance
Carlos

> Am 18.05.2017 um 07:24 schrieb Richard Kuenz <[hidden email]>:
>
> This helped me when i needed to boot usb
>
> http://mintppc.org/content/installation-mintppc-92
>
> On 17.05.2017 20:29, Carlos wrote:
>> Hello to all,
>>
>> first of, great community. This is my first post but I have read a lot of threads on this mailing list. And I’m a totally noob on Linux.
>>
>> I would like to install Debian from a USB-Stick, but sadly it fails.
>>
>> First off, my system requirements:
>>
>> Apple PowerBook G4 1.5GHz
>> Model Identifier: PowerBook6,8 (February 2005)
>> Model Number: A1104
>> Boot-ROM Version: 4.9.0f0
>> OS: MacOS X v10.4.11
>>

>> These steps I have done so far:
>>
>> 1. Downloaded Debian 8.8.0 non-free Firmware edition from here: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.8.0+nonfree/powerpc/iso-cd/
>> 2. I copied the ISO to USB-Stick with this command:
>> sudo dd if=/Users/test/Downloads/firmware-8.8.0-powerpc-netinst.iso of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m
>>
>> After I performed this command, I got:
>> 308+1 records in
>> 308+1 records out
>> 323665920 bytes transferred in 27.002575 secs (11986484 bytes/sec)
>>
>> And the stick appears in the Finder called „Debian/PowerPC_jessie (with lot of folders, e. g. install/yaboot)
>>
>> The USB-Stick is shown in the disk utility as follows:
>> File system: MacOS standard (disk1s2)
>> Partition type: Apple_HFS (Apple partition scheme)
>>
>> 3. Booting the PowerBook in OpenFirmware
>> 4. typed dev / ls and devalias
>>
>> As described there: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2012/08/msg00042.html
>>
>> But I don’t find the USB-Stick. I also tried this command: „boot ud:,\\:tbxi“ as described there: http://ben-collins.blogspot.de/2010/08/booting-your-ibook-g4-from-usb-stick.html
>>
>> But only it appears a no stopping sign.  I also have tried a different Stick. The first one with 2GB, the second with 8GB.
>>
>> Could maybe someone give me a advice, please?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Carlos

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Carlos-8
Hello Luke,

sadly, I don’t find the USB key.
If I type devalias, it doesn’t also appear „ud“

Does this mean, my PowerBook isn’t able to boot from USB?
Because somewhere I have read, if „ud“ doesn’t appear, no USB booting possible.

Is it a OpenFirmware „problem“?
It’s the latest 12“ PowerBook from 2005 …

Thanks in advance
Carlos

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Carlos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mathieu,
>
> thanks for your help.
> But sadly, I don’t find anything like:
>     /pci@f2000000
>       /usb@18
>         /disk@1
>
> The „disk“ connected to USB I don’t find. But the LED on the USB-Stick is burning.

When you follow the old doc:

https://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/powerpc/ch05s01.html.en#usb-boot

Do you see anything containing 'usb' string in`dev / ls` (devalias)

-M

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Carlos-8

> Am 18.05.2017 um 14:28 schrieb Mathieu Malaterre <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Carlos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Mathieu,
>>
>> thanks for your help.
>> But sadly, I don’t find anything like:
>>    /pci@f2000000
>>      /usb@18
>>        /disk@1
>>
>> The „disk“ connected to USB I don’t find. But the LED on the USB-Stick is burning.
>
> When you follow the old doc:
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/powerpc/ch05s01.html.en#usb-boot
>
> Do you see anything containing 'usb' string in`dev / ls` (devalias)
>
> -M

usb I see (e. g. usb@1b,1), but no „ disk@x“ attached to this.
The LED of the USB key is burning, also in OF. In OS X, the key automatically pops up.
In devalias no „ud“ at all.

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Linux User #330250
Hello Carlos!
Have you also tried a different USB pen drive (USB stick) yet? Some USB
devices use non-standard modes which may not be supported by Open Firmware.

Good luck,
Linux User #330250

Re: Problems installing Jessie to Powerbook from USB Stick

Carlos-8

> Am 18.05.2017 um 15:25 schrieb Linux User #330250 <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello Carlos!
> Have you also tried a different USB pen drive (USB stick) yet? Some USB devices use non-standard modes which may not be supported by Open Firmware.
>
> Good luck,
> Linux User #330250

Hello Linux User #330250,

yes I have tried two different pen drives. Non of them are working …

Regards
Carlos

Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again

Carlos-8
Hello guys,

now I have copied the ISO to a Firewire drive.

First I got an error during installation.
Then I typed „install32 video=ofonly“

This worked :-)
But now I’m hanging at „Detect and mount CD-ROM“ in the main menu of the installer.
The installer said, no CD-ROM drive found. Now he forces me to define the directory of the driver. But I don’t know this.

A also can’t open the shell. Alt+F2 don’t work.

Any advise, please

Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again

Michael Howard
On 18/05/2017 15:52, Carlos wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> now I have copied the ISO to a Firewire drive.
>
> First I got an error during installation.
> Then I typed „install32 video=ofonly“
>
> This worked :-)
> But now I’m hanging at „Detect and mount CD-ROM“ in the main menu of the installer.
> The installer said, no CD-ROM drive found. Now he forces me to define the directory of the driver. But I don’t know this.
>
> A also can’t open the shell. Alt+F2 don’t work.
>
> Any advise, please
Try leaving your USB stick in but booting from the fw drive.

Mike Howard

Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again

Fadi Osman
Hello Carlos,

about booting on USB stick , I have tried installing sid (unstable) on PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15' (radeon) and it works (somehow...).
(maybe it is the way you've written the ISO to USB drive...)

Here are the notes about the installation:
http://wiki.powerprogress.org/DebianPowerPcStartersManual#Installation_of_Debian_powerpc

Unfortunately - I think I'm having the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH issue (with radeon).

Funny thing though, everything works just after the installation - but booting the next day gets me into the black screen of death.

I'm doing the installation again this week-end, and I'll keep the logs for a successful xserver start to compare them with the logs for unsuccessful start.

Good luck,
Fadi.

 Objet: Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again
 À: [hidden email]

 please

Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again

richard kuenz-3
Fadi,

i tried Jessie on a Powerbook G4 15' (radeon) 1,67 and i could achieve
easy installation and also 3D accelleration with the help of this
section here
http://ppcluddite.blogspot.it/2012/03/installing-debian-linux-on-ppc-part-iv.html
Did not update to Sid , though.
Why, if ever, should one do that, at this point?
But i rememeber, on my Imac G5, Sid would work, but some things started
to become, strange and i reverted then. Could not remember though if it
was the Imac g5 with Nvidia or the Radeon G5 one.

Cheers,
Richard

On 19.05.2017 07:59, Fadi Osman wrote:

> Hello Carlos,
>
> about booting on USB stick , I have tried installing sid (unstable) on PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15' (radeon) and it works (somehow...).
> (maybe it is the way you've written the ISO to USB drive...)
>
> Here are the notes about the installation:
> http://wiki.powerprogress.org/DebianPowerPcStartersManual#Installation_of_Debian_powerpc
>
> Unfortunately - I think I'm having the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH issue (with radeon).
>
> Funny thing though, everything works just after the installation - but booting the next day gets me into the black screen of death.
>
> I'm doing the installation again this week-end, and I'll keep the logs for a successful xserver start to compare them with the logs for unsuccessful start.
>
> Good luck,
> Fadi.

> En date de : Jeu 18.5.17, Carlos <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>  Objet: Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again
>  À: [hidden email]
>  Date: Jeudi 18 mai 2017, 16h52
>
>  Hello guys,
>
>  now I have copied the ISO to a Firewire
>  drive.
>
>  First I got an error
>  during installation.
>  Then I typed
>  „install32 video=ofonly“
>
>  This worked :-)
>  But now I’m
>  hanging at „Detect and mount CD-ROM“ in the main menu of
>  the installer.
>  The installer said, no CD-ROM
>  drive found. Now he forces me to define the directory of the
>  driver. But I don’t know this.
>
>  A also can’t open the shell. Alt+F2 don’t
>  work.
>
>  Any advise,
>  please

Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again

richard kuenz-3
One thing i noted yesterday on my Imac G5 with Jessie,
i could not get DVD to play properly.

have installed libdvdcss2 from the deb-multimedia archive,

but VLC would play, but black screen, audio, no picture.
Gnome-Mplayer , would show video screen, but then come up with an error.
Kodi would not play the disc at all.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

On 19.05.2017 07:59, Fadi Osman wrote:

> Hello Carlos,
>
> about booting on USB stick , I have tried installing sid (unstable) on PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15' (radeon) and it works (somehow...).
> (maybe it is the way you've written the ISO to USB drive...)
>
> Here are the notes about the installation:
> http://wiki.powerprogress.org/DebianPowerPcStartersManual#Installation_of_Debian_powerpc
>
> Unfortunately - I think I'm having the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH issue (with radeon).
>
> Funny thing though, everything works just after the installation - but booting the next day gets me into the black screen of death.
>
> I'm doing the installation again this week-end, and I'll keep the logs for a successful xserver start to compare them with the logs for unsuccessful start.
>
> Good luck,
> Fadi.

> En date de : Jeu 18.5.17, Carlos <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>  Objet: Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again
>  À: [hidden email]
>  Date: Jeudi 18 mai 2017, 16h52
>
>  Hello guys,
>
>  now I have copied the ISO to a Firewire
>  drive.
>
>  First I got an error
>  during installation.
>  Then I typed
>  „install32 video=ofonly“
>
>  This worked :-)
>  But now I’m
>  hanging at „Detect and mount CD-ROM“ in the main menu of
>  the installer.
>  The installer said, no CD-ROM
>  drive found. Now he forces me to define the directory of the
>  driver. But I don’t know this.
>
>  A also can’t open the shell. Alt+F2 don’t
>  work.
>
>  Any advise,
>  please

Re: Finally I burned the ISO to CD-R

Carlos-8
Hello Fadi,

finally I burned a ISO of the non-free NetInst.ISO.
At reboot, I got an error. Then I installed the ISO again. Now it works :-)

A couple of things are not working.

1. WiFi don’t work. I think I have to install the driver.
2. No battery symbol, I have.
3. The trackpad is very slow

I have to figure that out.
But I will take a look at the link. Later I will try to install Debian from USB. Because I would like to know how to do this :-)

Best regards
Carlos

> Am 19.05.2017 um 07:59 schrieb Fadi Osman <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello Carlos,
>
> about booting on USB stick , I have tried installing sid (unstable) on PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15' (radeon) and it works (somehow...).
> (maybe it is the way you've written the ISO to USB drive...)
>
> Here are the notes about the installation:
> http://wiki.powerprogress.org/DebianPowerPcStartersManual#Installation_of_Debian_powerpc
>
> Unfortunately - I think I'm having the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH issue (with radeon).
>
> Funny thing though, everything works just after the installation - but booting the next day gets me into the black screen of death.
>
> I'm doing the installation again this week-end, and I'll keep the logs for a successful xserver start to compare them with the logs for unsuccessful start.
>
> Good luck,
> Fadi.

> En date de : Jeu 18.5.17, Carlos <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Objet: Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again
> À: [hidden email]
> Date: Jeudi 18 mai 2017, 16h52
>
> Hello guys,
>
> now I have copied the ISO to a Firewire
> drive.
>
> First I got an error
> during installation.
> Then I typed
> „install32 video=ofonly“
>
> This worked :-)
> But now I’m
> hanging at „Detect and mount CD-ROM“ in the main menu of
> the installer.
> The installer said, no CD-ROM
> drive found. Now he forces me to define the directory of the
> driver. But I don’t know this.
>
> A also can’t open the shell. Alt+F2 don’t
> work.
>
> Any advise,
> please

Re: Finally I burned the ISO to CD-R

Carlos-8
Hello Fadi,

I followed your advice and „burned“ the ISO under Jessie.
Same result: In OF, there is no disk listed tu a USB string.
There is also no „ud“ listed on devalias.
OF doesn’t see the USB key, but the LED on the key is on.
Maybe, it’s a OF issue.

Anyway, I will burn a mini.iso under Jessie again to be DFSG compliant.
I also got on booting a „Failed to start Kernel modules“ message.

Best regards
Carlos

Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm hanging again

Fadi Osman
Hi Richard,

I've been running sid for some time now - on my iMac G5 (radeon), and it works fine.

Just had an issue at one time, but, as I also got a Debian stable on the same machine, after a couple of weeks in limbo, I just chroot and did an update/upgrade and it went ok again. Suppose the issue was solved meanwhile.

I had wheezy (mintppc) on my PowerBooktill now, and as I needed to start filling in a "simple" installation manual (we would like to write a kind of starter's manual http://wiki.powerprogress.org/DebianPowerPcStartersManual), so I installed sid on it...

About the reasons why to run sid... Simple.

- We're ( PowerProgressCommunity http://www.powerprogress.org ) trying to help the Debian powerpc community by testing Debian unstable.

- We would like to use it for our future PowerPC notebook http://www.powerpc-notebook.org - we're still working on it (hardware design with Acube http://acube-systems.biz/ ) - and we're looking for people to help us (volunteers / donations).

- We would like to help people install Debian powerpc on PowerPC Macs because they're still very able machines - and we would like to show Debian community we need Debian PowerPC to become a supported release again.

- We would like to learn more about the inners of Debian.

And I can give you more reasons.... (some would sound crazy - so I'll stop here).

Best Regards,
Fadi.

 À: "Fadi Osman" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email], "Carlos" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Vendredi 19 mai 2017, 8h17

 Fadi,

 i tried Jessie on a Powerbook
 G4 15' (radeon) 1,67 and i could achieve
 easy installation and also 3D accelleration
 with the help of this
 section here
 http://ppcluddite.blogspot.it/2012/03/installing-debian-linux-on-ppc-part-iv.html
 Did not update to Sid , though.
 Why, if ever, should one do that, at this
 point?
 But i rememeber, on my Imac G5, Sid
 would work, but some things started
 become, strange and i reverted then. Could not remember
 though if it
 was the Imac g5 with Nvidia or
 the Radeon G5 one.

 Cheers,
 Richard

 On 19.05.2017 07:59, Fadi Osman wrote:
 > Hello Carlos,
 >
 > about booting on USB stick , I have tried
 installing sid (unstable) on PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15'
 (radeon) and it works (somehow...).

 (maybe it is the way you've written the ISO to USB
 drive...)

 > Here are
 the notes about the installation:
 > http://wiki.powerprogress.org/DebianPowerPcStartersManual#Installation_of_Debian_powerpc
 >
 > Unfortunately - I
 think I'm having the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH issue (with
 radeon).

 > Funny
 thing though, everything works just after the installation -
 but booting the next day gets me into the black screen of
 death.

 > I'm
 doing the installation again this week-end, and I'll
 keep the logs for a successful xserver start to compare them
 with the logs for unsuccessful start.

 > Good luck,
 > Fadi.

 > En date de : Jeu 18.5.17, Carlos <[hidden email]>
 a écrit :

 Objet: Re: Worked with a Firewire drive, but now I'm
 hanging again
 >  À: [hidden email]
 >  Date: Jeudi 18 mai 2017, 16h52
 >
 >  Hello guys,
 >
 >  now I have copied
 the ISO to a Firewire
 >  drive.
 >
 >  First I got an
 error
 >  during installation.
 >  Then I typed

 „install32 video=ofonly“

 >  This worked :-)

 But now I’m
 >  hanging at „Detect
 and mount CD-ROM“ in the main menu of
 >  the installer.

 The installer said, no CD-ROM
 >  drive
 found. Now he forces me to define the directory of the
 >  driver. But I don’t know this.
 >
 >  A also can’t open
 the shell. Alt+F2 don’t
 >  work.