Processed: severity of 818217 is grave

Debian Bug Tracking System
Processing commands for [hidden email]:

> severity 818217 grave
Bug #818217 [src:xastir] xastir: Jasper removal
Severity set to 'grave' from 'important'
> thanks
Stopping processing here.

818217: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=818217
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact [hidden email] with problems

Re: Processed: severity of 818217 is grave

David A Aitcheson
Moritz,

This problem was reported upstream and has been worked on.

Additionally it IS NOT a Xastir problem; it is a "Jasper is not going to be available" problem.

The SOLUTION is for people to learn how to pull Xastir from CVS and build on each platform that they use.

Why? Because it is ALREADY FIXED in the CVS available source code.

Also note that Xastir is a HAM RADIO OPERATOR USE ONLY program.

The Xastir team has _many Wiki's_ and numerous people willing to help those that ask for it nicely.

Moritz, whatever version you are using is no longer valid unless you pulled it from CVS since 1800 UTC today (01June2016). Yes, the development is that active.

The developers DO NOT create any packages for any distributions at all; the packages in the distributions are done by those that volunteer time out of very busy schedules.

David Aitcheson - KB3EFS

Colin,

Is a process available to "kill" this bug so that Non-Hams do not get all choked up about the issue? The issue was resolved in CVS with-in a week to two weeks after initial report and has been extensively tested in Debian and Ubuntu (and others via emulators) along with numerous derivatives of each on a multitude of platforms.

Dave KB3EFS

On 06/01/2016 12:51 PM, Debian Bug Tracking System wrote:
Processing commands for [hidden email]:

severity 818217 grave
Bug #818217 [src:xastir] xastir: Jasper removal
Severity set to 'grave' from 'important'
thanks
Stopping processing here.

Re: Processed: severity of 818217 is grave

Iain R. Learmonth-2
Hi David,

On 02/06/16 02:20, David A Aitcheson wrote:
> This problem was reported upstream and has been worked on.

When can we expect a new stable release, or would you like us to package
a development snapshot?

When Debian is released, we commit to maintaining all the software
released with it for at least 3 years. This is great for those using
Xastir (and other software) in emergency situations where lives may
depend on its correct operation but for us developers it can be
problematic to maintain development snapshots (or even worse, snapshots
that just happened to be the HEAD of a VCS tree on the day we did the
packaging) where the "release" has not seen testing before being packaged.

It's great that Xastir sees active development but it is also important
that we have stable software in Debian, not just the "latest" software.

Thanks,
Iain.

Re: Processed: severity of 818217 is grave

Colin Tuckley-2
On 02/06/16 02:20, David A Aitcheson wrote:

> Colin,
>
> Is a process available to "kill" this bug so that Non-Hams do not get
> all choked up about the issue? The issue was resolved in CVS with-in a
> week to two weeks after initial report and has been extensively tested
> in Debian and Ubuntu (and others via emulators) along with numerous
> derivatives of each on a multitude of platforms.

Yes, it's simple, the Xastir team need to produce a RELEASE!

Debian does not work from CVS grabs, because they are by definition not
tested - they are just a particular bunch of files that are reproducible
because they are controlled. Debian is a 'production' environment and
only uses tested and released software.

Is it really too much trouble for you guys to produce a tarball of the
sources which you know to be consistent and tested each time you reach a
milestone in the software development?

I see on SF that you did one last year for 2.0.7 since the 2.0.6 release
in 2014, why not do another now if you have reached a development milestone?

73, Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  +44(0)1223 830814  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
Debian Developer   |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x38C9D903

Re: Processed: severity of 818217 is grave

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 06/02/2016 03:20 AM, David A Aitcheson wrote:
> This problem was reported upstream and has been worked on.

But it has not been resolved yet in the Debian package which is the whole point.

> Additionally it IS NOT a Xastir problem; it is a "Jasper is not going to be available" problem.

Yes, but that is still a problem with Xastir in Debian because it build-depends on a library
which is no longer maintained and therefore a potential security problem. This is why Debian
is removing this library and any other package depending on Jasper is getting a bug report
to remind the maintainers to work on it.

> The SOLUTION is for people to learn how to pull Xastir from CVS and build on each platform that they use.
>
> Why? Because it is ALREADY FIXED in the CVS available source code.

How is this relevant? The only thing that is of concern for Debian is the version currently in Debian.

> Also note that Xastir is a HAM RADIO OPERATOR USE ONLY program.

Completely missing the point. Debian is concerned of the security of all packages we are shipping,
not just the popular ones unlike other distributions. If a package does not have the release criteria,
it will be removed from testing. Period.

> The Xastir team has _many Wiki's_ and numerous people willing to help those that ask for it nicely.

Again, completely irrelevant.

> Moritz, whatever version you are using is no longer valid unless you pulled it from CVS since 1800 UTC today (01June2016). Yes, the development is that active.

Moritz is not using anything. He is concerned about security, that's what he is doing in Debian. He
couldn't care less about what you are doing in your upstream project.

> The developers DO NOT create any packages for any distributions at all; the packages in the distributions are done by those that volunteer time out of very busy
> schedules.

You think Moritz doesn't know that? Did anyone here ever claim the opposite?

> My suggestion to you, provided you are a Licensed Ham Radio Operator is that you join the Xastir mailing list / reflector at
> http://xastir.org/mailman/listinfo/xastir and also read over the Wiki's available via Xastir.org.

Again, you are completely missing the point. Moritz is not a user. He is concerned about security
in Debian. The current state of Xastir in Debian makes it unfit for release which is why this
bug report exists in the first place.

Please don't accuse others of ignorance when clearly you're the one who is being ignorant since
you apparently don't understand why this bug report was filed in the first place.

> David Aitcheson - KB3EFS

Adrian Glaubitz - DL7YZ

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz