[Proposal-manual] About keyboard layout when installation.

[Proposal-manual] About keyboard layout when installation.

hoxp18
To: Debian Edu team

Greeting.

A proposal for the manual, installer section.

It's about keyboard layout and "C" locale installation
(in English), emphasizing the importance of
keyboard layout choice.

Section and/or Current
=======================

"Choose a keyboard keymap (the country's default is usually fine)."

Proposal
--------

"Choose a keyboard keymap (the country's default is usually fine).
Note: Even if you're installing in English text mode,
       choose your keyboard layout properly (e.g. "Japanese"),
       or you'll suffer with typing some special characters
       such like "-", "_", etc."

Background
----------

Especially, Japanese keyboard layout differs from US layout.

AND, the manual says in "Updating the software" section,

"It is also a good idea to upgrade using the C locale
  to get English output ..."

I personally do installation in English text,
with only timezone and keyboard layout settings;
"Asia/Tokyo" and "Japanese" for each.

Regards.

Re: [Proposal-manual] About keyboard layout when installation.

Wolfgang Schweer-3
Hi hoxp18,

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 06:12:23PM +0900, hoxp18 wrote:

> Section and/or Current
> =======================
>
> "Choose a keyboard keymap (the country's default is usually fine)."
>
> Proposal
> --------
>
> "Choose a keyboard keymap (the country's default is usually fine).
> Note: Even if you're installing in English text mode,
>       choose your keyboard layout properly (e.g. "Japanese"),
>       or you'll suffer with typing some special characters
>       such like "-", "_", etc."
While this is true, I'm a bit undecided. Expert users would know what to
do. In most cases a language specific GUI is wanted on the installed
system as well. So your proposal applies only to a very specific
installation for skilled users.

> Background
> ----------
>
> Especially, Japanese keyboard layout differs from US layout.

This applies also for other countries/keyboards.

> AND, the manual says in "Updating the software" section,
>
> "It is also a good idea to upgrade using the C locale
>  to get English output ..."

Yes, because we assume language specific installations.

Wolfgang

Re: [Proposal-manual] About keyboard layout when installation.

hoxp18
Dear Wolfgang Schweer,

On 5/15/19 7:46 PM, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 06:12:23PM +0900, hoxp18 wrote:
>> Section and/or Current
>> =======================
>>
>> "Choose a keyboard keymap (the country's default is usually fine)."
>>
>> Proposal
>> --------
>>
>> "Choose a keyboard keymap (the country's default is usually fine).
>> Note: Even if you're installing in English text mode,
>>        choose your keyboard layout properly (e.g. "Japanese"),
>>        or you'll suffer with typing some special characters
>>        such like "-", "_", etc."
>
> While this is true, I'm a bit undecided. Expert users would know what to
> do. In most cases a language specific GUI is wanted on the installed
> system as well. So your proposal applies only to a very specific
> installation for skilled users.

Yes, very specific.

Please forget about this. It seems I just said too much.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards.