Proposed removals of Debian GNOME packages

Proposed removals of Debian GNOME packages

Jeremy Bicha-5
Because it doesn't do good much good to change the Vcs without doing
an upload to push that metadata upload out and because there's not
much point in uploading something we might remove soon, I've found
several packages I'm proposing we remove from Debian.

- esound (raise the bugs to Serious?) [1]
- gconf-editor (no rdeps, we really want to discourage gconf use)
- gconfmm2.6 (RC bugs filed today) [2]
- gnome-icon-theme-extras (no rdeps, many icons are in
adwaita-icon-theme, several really old phone icons like the Nexus One)
- gnome-search-tool (no rdeps, all decent file browsers offer search)
- alleyoop (removed from Testing)
- gnome-hearts (removed from Testing)
- gtetrinet

A few others have already been removed recently:
- gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
- gnome-python-desktop
- hamster-applet (we orphaned it a while ago, upstream has split it
into separate projects with different names)
- libunique3
- pygtksourceview

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=pkg-gnome-maintainers@...;tag=esd-removal
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=pkg-gnome-maintainers@...;tag=gconfmm

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: Proposed removals of Debian GNOME packages

Simon McVittie-7
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 at 22:57:43 -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> - esound (raise the bugs to Serious?) [1]

If we want to remove that, raising the bug severities would be a
prerequisite. (We should certainly either remove it or orphan it.)

> - gconf-editor (no rdeps, we really want to discourage gconf use)

On one hand, we want to kill off gconf altogether; on the other hand,
as long as gconf hasn't been fully removed, perhaps it makes sense to
have its editor too?

    smcv

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Simon McVittie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 at 22:57:43 -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
>> - esound (raise the bugs to Serious?) [1]
>
> If we want to remove that, raising the bug severities would be a
> prerequisite. (We should certainly either remove it or orphan it.)

Yes. In this case, I meant starting with raising the bug severity to
allow esound to be removed from Testing. And then removal from
Unstable can follow once there aren't any rdeps. That takes a while
for libraries but we were able to remove libunique3 from both Testing
and Unstable this year.

>> - gconf-editor (no rdeps, we really want to discourage gconf use)
>
> On one hand, we want to kill off gconf altogether; on the other hand,
> as long as gconf hasn't been fully removed, perhaps it makes sense to
> have its editor too?

That makes sense, as long as the list of gconf-using packages in
Testing is so long, it doesn't really help us much to drop
gconf-editor early.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: Proposed removals of Debian GNOME packages

Paul Wise via nm
On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

> That makes sense, as long as the list of gconf-using packages in
> Testing is so long, it doesn't really help us much to drop
> gconf-editor early.

Is there a guide for moving from GTK+ 2 and gconf to GTK+ 3 and GSettings?

Is there a recommended method for migrating user settings to GSettings?

I've commit access to FoxtrotGPS upstream and I'd like to port it.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Paul Wise wrote:

> Is there a guide for moving from GTK+ 2 and gconf to GTK+ 3 and GSettings?

PS: it might be a good idea to get such a guide onto d-d-a at some
point, probably via DevNews:

https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Paul Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a guide for moving from GTK+ 2 and gconf to GTK+ 3 and GSettings?

To be clear, we aren't dropping gtk2 from Buster. However, I think
there's a reasonable chance that gtk2 won't be installed *by default*
in Debian GNOME. These removals are move about old GNOME2 libraries
but I believe moving to gtk3 will help there still.

> Is there a recommended method for migrating user settings to GSettings?

Sure, try this:
https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/ch34.html

for gtk2 → gtk3, see
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/migrating.html

and can I assume you saw this notice?

Jeremy

On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 21:01 -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

> To be clear, we aren't dropping gtk2 from Buster.

I'm aware of that, but I think migrating off GTK+ 2 is the way to go.

> Sure, try this:
> https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/ch34.html
>
> for gtk2 → gtk3, see
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/migrating.html

Thanks for the links.

> and can I assume you saw this notice?
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/10/msg00299.html

Yes, but FoxtrotGPS doesn't use any of those libraries and
the list of removals in that mail doesn't include gconf.