Proposition: Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian

Proposition: Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian

patrick.dreier
Dear Woman and Man!

Please Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian.

With kind Greetings!

Re: Proposition: Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian

Paul Wise via nm
On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:57 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian.

Mozilla Firefox is available in Debian, the package name is firefox-esr.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Proposition: Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian

The Wanderer
On 2019-07-14 at 22:03, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:57 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Please Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian.
>
> Mozilla Firefox is available in Debian, the package name is
> firefox-esr.

That's the ESR version. I read this as being a request to include the
"release" version, i.e., mainline non-ESR.

My understanding is that that's a nonstarter for one reason and another,
but I don't recall all the specifics involved.

--
   The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man.         -- George Bernard Shaw

Re: Proposition: Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian

Russ Allbery-2
The Wanderer <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 2019-07-14 at 22:03, Paul Wise wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:57 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Please Insert Mozilla Firefox Release in Debian.

>> Mozilla Firefox is available in Debian, the package name is
>> firefox-esr.

> That's the ESR version. I read this as being a request to include the
> "release" version, i.e., mainline non-ESR.

> My understanding is that that's a nonstarter for one reason and another,
> but I don't recall all the specifics involved.

It's there, it's the firefox package.  It's just not included in stable
releases because it doesn't get security support for the lifetime of
stable, so doesn't meet our stable guarantees.

--
Russ Allbery ([hidden email])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>