Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie
Following recent 'buster' move to 'stable' I got wild psychedelic colors
on my XFCE desktop, making it nearly impossible to read anything
on-screen.

Normally I'd have display set for 1024x768.  I've found I can get normal
color on the GUI if I switch to 1600x900.  However, even then, if I switch
to console (F1-F6) or if the screensaver comes on, on return the
psychedelic colors are back.  If I log out / log in to the desktop, normal
colors return with the 1600x900 setting only.

AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7.  ASUSTEK A68HM-K motherboard.
firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree are installed.

Is this a bug?  Is there a fix? I'd like to get my normal colors and
normal resolution back.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

bw-2

>Following recent 'buster' move to 'stable' I got wild psychedelic colors
>on my XFCE desktop, making it nearly impossible to read anything
>on-screen.
>
>Normally I'd have display set for 1024x768.  I've found I can get normal
>color on the GUI if I switch to 1600x900.  However, even then, if I
>switch to console (F1-F6) or if the screensaver comes on, on return the
>psychedelic colors are back.  If I log out / log in to the desktop,
>normal colors return with the 1600x900 setting only.
>
>AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7.  ASUSTEK A68HM-K motherboard.
>firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree are installed.
>
>Is this a bug?  Is there a fix? I'd like to get my normal colors and
>normal resolution back.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like a bug.  Sorry for breaking your thread, but just wanted to say
thanks.

I don't have a solution but like Psychedelic GUI occasionally.

Much appreciated.

Good Luck,
bw

p.s. When the flashback is over, you can check certain log files and find
out of it was a real Psychedelic event, or just some botched upgrade
thing.

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Charlie Kravetz-2
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 17:52:43 -0400
[hidden email] wrote:

>Following recent 'buster' move to 'stable' I got wild psychedelic colors
>on my XFCE desktop, making it nearly impossible to read anything
>on-screen.
>
>Normally I'd have display set for 1024x768.  I've found I can get normal
>color on the GUI if I switch to 1600x900.  However, even then, if I switch
>to console (F1-F6) or if the screensaver comes on, on return the
>psychedelic colors are back.  If I log out / log in to the desktop, normal
>colors return with the 1600x900 setting only.
>
>AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7.  ASUSTEK A68HM-K motherboard.
>firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree are installed.
>
>Is this a bug?  Is there a fix? I'd like to get my normal colors and
>normal resolution back.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Try a different theme. The switch from GTK-2 to GTK-3 results in a mess
if the wrong theme is used.

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 17:52:43 -0400
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>Following recent 'buster' move to 'stable' I got wild psychedelic colors
>>on my XFCE desktop, making it nearly impossible to read anything
>>on-screen.
>>
>>Normally I'd have display set for 1024x768.  I've found I can get normal
>>color on the GUI if I switch to 1600x900.  However, even then, if I
>> switch
>>to console (F1-F6) or if the screensaver comes on, on return the
>>psychedelic colors are back.  If I log out / log in to the desktop,
>> normal
>>colors return with the 1600x900 setting only.
>>
>>AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7.  ASUSTEK A68HM-K motherboard.
>>firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree are installed.
>>
>>Is this a bug?  Is there a fix? I'd like to get my normal colors and
>>normal resolution back.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>>

> Try a different theme. The switch from GTK-2 to GTK-3 results in a mess
> if the wrong theme is used.

Thanks. :)  Using GTK-ChTheme (which says it's for GTK+ 2, but I don't see
a similar utility for GTK+ 3) I switched to Xfce 4.4 but got no
improvement.  Should I be approaching this theme change some other way?

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Charlie Kravetz-2
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:22:55 -0400
[hidden email] wrote:

>> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 17:52:43 -0400
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>>Following recent 'buster' move to 'stable' I got wild psychedelic colors
>>>on my XFCE desktop, making it nearly impossible to read anything
>>>on-screen.
>>>
>>>Normally I'd have display set for 1024x768.  I've found I can get normal
>>>color on the GUI if I switch to 1600x900.  However, even then, if I
>>> switch
>>>to console (F1-F6) or if the screensaver comes on, on return the
>>>psychedelic colors are back.  If I log out / log in to the desktop,
>>> normal
>>>colors return with the 1600x900 setting only.
>>>
>>>AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7.  ASUSTEK A68HM-K motherboard.
>>>firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree are installed.
>>>
>>>Is this a bug?  Is there a fix? I'd like to get my normal colors and
>>>normal resolution back.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>>>

>> Try a different theme. The switch from GTK-2 to GTK-3 results in a mess
>> if the wrong theme is used.
>>

>Thanks. :)  Using GTK-ChTheme (which says it's for GTK+ 2, but I don't see
>a similar utility for GTK+ 3) I switched to Xfce 4.4 but got no
>improvement.  Should I be approaching this theme change some other way?

You have the right idea, however, perhaps try adwaita, which is a GTK-3
specific theme.

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:22:55 -0400
> [hidden email] wrote:

>>> Try a different theme. The switch from GTK-2 to GTK-3 results in a mess
>>> if the wrong theme is used.
>>>

>>Thanks. :)  Using GTK-ChTheme (which says it's for GTK+ 2, but I don't
>> see
>>a similar utility for GTK+ 3) I switched to Xfce 4.4 but got no
>>improvement.  Should I be approaching this theme change some other way?
>>

> You have the right idea, however, perhaps try adwaita, which is a GTK-3
> specific theme.

Thanks, Charles - I switched to adwaita, but no joy.  Perhaps we're on the
wrong track?  All is well; I switch to console and return or screensaver
blanks the screen; and when the GUI screen is redrawn, it's as though it
has shifted to a different color palette.  Windows and dialog boxes, etc.,
have their expected shapes, likewise with swirls in the
background/wallpaper, but colors are now lime green, magenta, etc.,
instead of calming blue, and many fonts become blurry or ragged.  How is
that even possible?  Restarting the desktop does restore the expected
colors (but only if set for 1600x900).

Is there a simple "redraw screen" command (like Ctrl-L at the console)
that might work at the desktop, without requiring logout/login?

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:22:55 -0400
> [hidden email] wrote:

>>> Try a different theme. The switch from GTK-2 to GTK-3 results in a mess
>>> if the wrong theme is used.
>>>

>>Thanks. :)  Using GTK-ChTheme (which says it's for GTK+ 2, but I don't
>> see
>>a similar utility for GTK+ 3) I switched to Xfce 4.4 but got no
>>improvement.  Should I be approaching this theme change some other way?
>>

> You have the right idea, however, perhaps try adwaita, which is a GTK-3
> specific theme.

Whoa!  I tried to take screenshots so folks could see what I've been
trying to describe. Shot of normal screen turns out as expected.  Shot of
psychedelic screen turns out ... identical to shot of normal screen!!!  In
other words, what's present in graphic memory space is not the same as
what's being transmitted to my display/monitor, sometimes.  Where's Rod
Serling when we need him...? :)

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Alexander V. Makartsev

[hidden email] wrote:

[...]

What display/monitor do you use? Do you connect it using HDMI cable?
I remember another list user was asking same question with identical symptoms sometime ago.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie
> On 13.07.2019 12:44, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> You have the right idea, however, perhaps try adwaita, which is a GTK-3
>>> specific theme.
>>>
>> Whoa!  I tried to take screenshots so folks could see what I've been
>> trying to describe. Shot of normal screen turns out as expected.  Shot
>> of
>> psychedelic screen turns out ... identical to shot of normal screen!!!
>> In
>> other words, what's present in graphic memory space is not the same as
>> what's being transmitted to my display/monitor, sometimes.  Where's Rod
>> Serling when we need him...? :)
>>

> What display/monitor do you use? Do you connect it using HDMI cable?
> I remember another list user was asking same question with identical
> symptoms sometime ago.
>
> --
> With kindest regards, Alexander.

Thanks -- the brand is AOC, connected via VGA cable, there's a DVI port on
the card but no HDMI one.  (If I plug an HDMI converter in via USB, would
that work?)

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Joe Rowan
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 04:14:52 -0400
[hidden email] wrote:

> >> Whoa!  I tried to take screenshots so folks could see what I've
> >> been trying to describe. Shot of normal screen turns out as
> >> expected.  Shot of
> >> psychedelic screen turns out ... identical to shot of normal
> >> screen!!! In
> >> other words, what's present in graphic memory space is not the
> >> same as what's being transmitted to my display/monitor,
> >> sometimes.  Where's Rod Serling when we need him...? :)
> >>

> > What display/monitor do you use? Do you connect it using HDMI cable?
> > I remember another list user was asking same question with identical
> > symptoms sometime ago.
> >
> > --
> > With kindest regards, Alexander.
> >
> Thanks -- the brand is AOC, connected via VGA cable, there's a DVI
> port on the card but no HDMI one.  (If I plug an HDMI converter in
> via USB, would that work?)

It should, but the DVI from a computer ought to work into an HDMI
monitor, though of course it needs an adaptor plug. I've done that
before.

This sounds like a graphics driver problem, so the DVI may also be
affected, but maybe not. The colour encoding is very different from VGA.

Joe

[hidden email] wrote:

[...]

This is the original thread I was talking about. [1]
See if there are any pointers that could resolve your issue.

Personally, I don't have much experience with AMD graphics (which is sadly notorious for lacking good support on Linux), but
I would try to use different AMD drivers (use "AMDGPU" instead of "radeon" or vice versa).
You can check what driver you currently using with this command:
    $ inxi -Gxxxz

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/12/msg00203.html

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Sb, 13 iul 19, 04:14:52, [hidden email] wrote:

> Thanks -- the brand is AOC, connected via VGA cable

I've seen such interesting effects when a VGA cable was not connected
properly.

You might want to check the cable and connection at both ends.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie

>>> What display/monitor do you use? Do you connect it using HDMI cable?
>>> I remember another list user was asking same question with identical
>>> symptoms sometime ago.
>>>
>>> --
>>> With kindest regards, Alexander.
>>>
>> Thanks -- the brand is AOC, connected via VGA cable, there's a DVI port
>> on
>> the card but no HDMI one.  (If I plug an HDMI converter in via USB,
>> would
>> that work?)
>>
> This is the original thread I was talking about. [1]
> See if there are any pointers that could resolve your issue.
>
> Personally, I don't have much experience with AMD graphics (which is
> sadly notorious for lacking good support on Linux), but
> I would try to use different AMD drivers (use "AMDGPU" instead of
> "radeon" or vice versa).
> You can check what driver you currently using with this command:
>     $ inxi -Gxxxz
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/12/msg00203.html
>
> --
> With kindest regards, Alexander.

Thanks for the tip.  Looks like a lot of information here but I don't
really understand it.  Xorg seems to have unloaded the radeon driver...?

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: N/A
           bus ID: 00:01.0 chip ID: 1002:130f
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,vesa
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon resolution: 1600x900~N/A
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6
           compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

Where would I find "AMDGPU" and how would I get Xorg to use it?

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie
> On Sb, 13 iul 19, 04:14:52, [hidden email] wrote:
>> >
>> Thanks -- the brand is AOC, connected via VGA cable
>
> I've seen such interesting effects when a VGA cable was not connected
> properly.
>
> You might want to check the cable and connection at both ends.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser

Thanks - I recall that situation, too, from earlier days. :)  VGA cable is
tightly in place at both ends.  It's curious that this weirdness happened
immediately following the move of 'buster' to 'stable'.

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Felix Miata-3
[hidden email] composed on 2019-07-13 18:07 (UTC-0400):

> Thanks for the tip.  Looks like a lot of information here but I don't
> really understand it.  Xorg seems to have unloaded the radeon driver...?

> Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] vendor: ASUSTeK
> driver: N/A
>            bus ID: 00:01.0 chip ID: 1002:130f
>            Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,vesa
>            unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon resolution: 1600x900~N/A
>            OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6
>            compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

> Where would I find "AMDGPU" and how would I get Xorg to use it?

These should cover it:
apt purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu firmware-amd-graphics

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie

>> > What display/monitor do you use? Do you connect it using HDMI cable?
>> > I remember another list user was asking same question with identical
>> > symptoms sometime ago.
>> >
>> > --
>> > With kindest regards, Alexander.
>> >
>> Thanks -- the brand is AOC, connected via VGA cable, there's a DVI
>> port on the card but no HDMI one.  (If I plug an HDMI converter in
>> via USB, would that work?)
>>

> It should, but the DVI from a computer ought to work into an HDMI
> monitor, though of course it needs an adaptor plug. I've done that
> before.
>
> This sounds like a graphics driver problem, so the DVI may also be
> affected, but maybe not. The colour encoding is very different from VGA.
>
> --
> Joe

I found a DVI cable - turns out the display / monitor has a DVI connection
but not an HDMI one - and hooked it up.  Again, no joy - so I guess we've
narrowed the problem down to the driver...?

On 14.07.2019 4:20, Felix Miata wrote:
[hidden email] composed on 2019-07-13 18:07 (UTC-0400):

Thanks for the tip.  Looks like a lot of information here but I don't
really understand it.  Xorg seems to have unloaded the radeon driver...?

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: N/A
           bus ID: 00:01.0 chip ID: 1002:130f
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,vesa
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon resolution: 1600x900~N/A
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6
           compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

Where would I find "AMDGPU" and how would I get Xorg to use it?
These should cover it:
apt purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu firmware-amd-graphics
To install "firmware-amd-graphics" package is a good suggestion.
But chances are high that removal of *-ati and *-radeon packages will also remove Desktop Environment, because those packages are part of "xserver-xorg-video-all" package.
I'd suggest a less radical approach and simply "tell" the system what driver to use via modprobe config files. [1]

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie
> On 14.07.2019 4:20, Felix Miata wrote:
>> [hidden email] composed on 2019-07-13 18:07 (UTC-0400):
>>
>>> Thanks for the tip.  Looks like a lot of information here but I don't
>>> really understand it.  Xorg seems to have unloaded the radeon
>>> driver...?
>>> Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] vendor: ASUSTeK
>>> driver: N/A
>>>            bus ID: 00:01.0 chip ID: 1002:130f
>>>            Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,vesa
>>>            unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon resolution: 1600x900~N/A
>>>            OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa
>>> 18.3.6
>>>            compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
>>> Where would I find "AMDGPU" and how would I get Xorg to use it?
>> These should cover it:
>> apt purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
>> apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu firmware-amd-graphics
> To install "firmware-amd-graphics" package is a good suggestion.
> But chances are high that removal of *-ati and *-radeon packages will
> also remove Desktop Environment, because those packages are part of
> "xserver-xorg-video-all" package.
> I'd suggest a less radical approach and simply "tell" the system what
> driver to use via modprobe config files. [1]

Thanks. :)  I find old files in /etc/modprobe.d:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  154 Nov 29  2016 amd64-microcode-blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   23 Apr 28  2011 i915-kms.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  154 May 15  2017 intel-microcode-blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   51 May 10  2014 modesetting.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  292 Aug  3  2012 nvidia-kernel-common.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  119 Nov 12  2013 oss-compat.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   27 Jan 19  2014 radeon-kms.conf

...I find radeon-kms.conf contains: "options radeon modeset=-1".  Is that
likely where my problem, or part of my problem, is coming from?

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Felix Miata-3
Alexander V. Makartsev composed on 2019-07-14 11:48 (UTC+0500):

> Felix Miata wrote:

> To install "firmware-amd-graphics" package is a good suggestion.
> But chances are high that removal of *-ati and *-radeon packages will
> also remove Desktop Environment, because those packages are part of
> "xserver-xorg-video-all" package.
> I'd suggest a less radical approach and simply "tell" the system what
> driver to use via modprobe config files. [1]

Someone who has only a recent AMD GPU has no need for every DDX still provided by
Xorg, which is all the -all metapackage exists to bloat the installation with.
That metapackage typically prevents use of the often best available FOSS DDX,
modesetting, by Intel, AMD and NVidia GPUs.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Felix Miata-3
[hidden email] composed on 2019-07-14 03:02 (UTC-0400):

> I find old files in /etc/modprobe.d:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  154 Nov 29  2016 amd64-microcode-blacklist.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   23 Apr 28  2011 i915-kms.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  154 May 15  2017 intel-microcode-blacklist.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   51 May 10  2014 modesetting.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  292 Aug  3  2012 nvidia-kernel-common.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  119 Nov 12  2013 oss-compat.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   27 Jan 19  2014 radeon-kms.conf

> ...I find radeon-kms.conf contains: "options radeon modeset=-1".  Is that
> likely where my problem, or part of my problem, is coming from?

It certainly would not surprise me. I had no luck searching a meaning for -1
there. What I would do is archive them, remove them all, and reboot. Of your 7, I
only have 2, and only radeon-kms-conf, which is ancient, applies to AMD hardware.
What it contains (1 rather than -1) I'm sure has long ago been made default,
obsoleting it.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

123