PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

Marc Shapiro-3
At some point in the past I was having sound issues which I traced to
pulseaudio.  I uninstalled pulseaudio and everything was fine.  Then
Firefox decided to require pulseaudio and my sound (in Firefox) went away.

I reinstalled pulseaudio and eventually got it working (I thought).
Well, it was working for me, but not for my wife and daughter,
apparently.  Both of them have recently let me know that they have been
without sound for an indeterminate period of time.

This morning, I went to my wife's login and ran:

pulseaudio --kill

rm ~/.config/pulse

pulseaudio --start

And that worked.  There were some warnings about not being able to find
the cookie file, which was understandable since I had just rm'd the
configuration directory.  But pulseaudio recreated the directory and
needed files and seems to be happy.  At least I am able to get sound
from the command line, as well as from Firefox.

When I tried to do the same thing under my daughter's login, however, I
get the warnings about the cookie file and ~/.config/pulse is NOT
recreated, so still no sound anywhere.  I have checked the permissions
of my daughter's  ~/.config/pulse directory and it is 644 with her user
as owner and group.  That matches ~/.config in my home directory and my
wife's.

So why does pulseaudio not create the files it needs, like it did for me
and my wife?  Is there something else that I am missing? Any help will
be appreciated.

Marc

Re: PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

Wellington Terumi Uemura
Have you check your system log?
What dmesg tell you?

Em 9 de jul de 2017 03:36, "Marc Shapiro" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
[...]

Marc

Re: PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

Wilko Fokken
On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 11:35:42PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> This morning, I went to my wife's login and ran:
>
> pulseaudio --kill
>
> rm ~/.config/pulse
>
> pulseaudio --start
>
> And that worked.
>
> When I tried to do the same thing under my daughter's login, however, I get
> the warnings about the cookie file and ~/.config/pulse is NOT recreated, so
> still no sound anywhere.  I have checked the permissions of my daughter's
> ~/.config/pulse directory and it is 644 with her user as owner and group.
> That matches ~/.config in my home directory and my wife's.
>

> So why does pulseaudio not create the files it needs, like it did for me and
> my wife?  Is there something else that I am missing? Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> Marc

Moin Marc,

my /etc/passwd:
- - - - - - - -
pulse:x:113:121:PulseAudio daemon,,,:/var/run/pulse:/bin/false

my /etc/group:
- - - - - - - -
audio:x:29:pulse,my_userid
pulse:x:121:my_userid
pulse-access:x:122:my_userid

my pulseaudio refresh (if no sound):
- - - - - - - - - - -
pulseaudio --kill && alsamixer -c0

make sure 'pulseaudio' is loaded only once
(check with 'ps ax | grep pulseaudio')

Wilko

[...]

I found out why ~/.config/pulse was not recreated under my daughter's login.  Her ~/home/ directory had a .pulse directory and a .pulse-cookie file (from an even older installation?).  Once I deleted them starting pulseaudio properly recreated ~/.config/pulse in my daughter's ~/home/ directory.  Unfortunately, still no sound for her.  My wife and I are both getting sound under our logins.

On 07/09/2017 05:52 AM, Wellington Terumi Uemura wrote:
Have you check your system log?
What dmesg tell you?

What should I be looking for in the logs?  I did not see anything that looked relevant in dmesg.

On 07/09/2017 11:33 AM, Wilko Fokken wrote:
my /etc/passwd:
- - - - - - - -
pulse:x:113:121:PulseAudio daemon,,,:/var/run/pulse:/bin/false

my /etc/group:
- - - - - - - -
audio:x:29:pulse,my_userid
pulse:x:121:my_userid
pulse-access:x:122:my_userid

my pulseaudio refresh (if no sound):
- - - - - - - - - - -
pulseaudio --kill && alsamixer -c0

make sure 'pulseaudio' is loaded only once
(check with 'ps ax | grep pulseaudio')

Wilko
Usually, all three of us are logged in all the time, so pulseaudio is running under each of our logins:

~$ ps ax | grep pulseaudio
 3029 ?        S<l    0:07 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
 3065 ?        S<l    0:06 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
 3121 ?        S<l    0:19 pulseaudio --start
 4303 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep pulseaudio

Marc

Re: PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

Curt
On 2017-07-09, Marc Shapiro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At some point in the past I was having sound issues which I traced to
> pulseaudio.  I uninstalled pulseaudio and everything was fine.  Then
> Firefox decided to require pulseaudio and my sound (in Firefox) went away.
>
> I reinstalled pulseaudio and eventually got it working (I thought).
> Well, it was working for me, but not for my wife and daughter,
> apparently.  Both of them have recently let me know that they have been
> without sound for an indeterminate period of time.
>
> This morning, I went to my wife's login and ran:
>
> pulseaudio --kill
>
> rm ~/.config/pulse
>
> pulseaudio --start
>
> And that worked.  There were some warnings about not being able to find
> the cookie file, which was understandable since I had just rm'd the
> configuration directory.  But pulseaudio recreated the directory and
> needed files and seems to be happy.  At least I am able to get sound
> from the command line, as well as from Firefox.
>

> When I tried to do the same thing under my daughter's login, however, I
> get the warnings about the cookie file and ~/.config/pulse is NOT
> recreated, so still no sound anywhere.  I have checked the permissions
> of my daughter's  ~/.config/pulse directory and it is 644 with her user
> as owner and group.  That matches ~/.config in my home directory and my
> wife's.

The wiki suggests (for missing playback devices):

$ rm -r ~/.config/pulse /tmp/pulse-*
$ pulseaudio --kill
$ pulseaudio --start

https://wiki.debian.org/PulseAudio

I suppose you've verified in a mixer program and/or pavucontrol that all
is as should be.

> So why does pulseaudio not create the files it needs, like it did for me
> and my wife?  Is there something else that I am missing? Any help will
> be appreciated.

I don't have a ~/.config/pulse/ directory myself; I suppose in my case
pulse gets its config from /etc/pulse.

BTW, as it would appear that ~/.config/pulse/ is a directory and
not a file (unless I'm wrong in which case I'm wrong) I don't see how your
'rm ~/.config/pulse' command worked. But I guess I'm wrong because
certainly you would have noticed "rm: cannot remove 'pulse/': Is a
directory".

Or maybe during the redaction of your post you left out the '-r' flag by
inadvertence.

--
“Yeah yeah.” --Sidney Morgenbesser's retort to a speaker who said that although
there are many cases in which two negatives make a positive, he knew of no case
in which two positives made a negative.

Re: PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

Wellington Terumi Uemura
Some error related. Try to create another user and see if this user has
sound or not, if it has you can migrate the account so you avoid all
this mess.

On 07/14/2017 02:09 AM, Curt wrote:

> On 2017-07-09, Marc Shapiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> At some point in the past I was having sound issues which I traced to
>> pulseaudio.  I uninstalled pulseaudio and everything was fine.  Then
>> Firefox decided to require pulseaudio and my sound (in Firefox) went away.
>>
>> I reinstalled pulseaudio and eventually got it working (I thought).
>> Well, it was working for me, but not for my wife and daughter,
>> apparently.  Both of them have recently let me know that they have been
>> without sound for an indeterminate period of time.
>>
>> This morning, I went to my wife's login and ran:
>>
>> pulseaudio --kill
>>
>> rm ~/.config/pulse
>>
>> pulseaudio --start
>>
>> And that worked.  There were some warnings about not being able to find
>> the cookie file, which was understandable since I had just rm'd the
>> configuration directory.  But pulseaudio recreated the directory and
>> needed files and seems to be happy.  At least I am able to get sound
>> from the command line, as well as from Firefox.
>>

>> When I tried to do the same thing under my daughter's login, however, I
>> get the warnings about the cookie file and ~/.config/pulse is NOT
>> recreated, so still no sound anywhere.  I have checked the permissions
>> of my daughter's  ~/.config/pulse directory and it is 644 with her user
>> as owner and group.  That matches ~/.config in my home directory and my
>> wife's.
>>
> The wiki suggests (for missing playback devices):
>
> $ rm -r ~/.config/pulse /tmp/pulse-*
> $ pulseaudio --kill
> $ pulseaudio --start
I have not done 'rm -r  /tmp/pluse*' (the only such directory is empty),
but I have done the rest under each of the three logins in the
appropriate /home/ directories for each login.  My wife and I each get
sound, but my daughter still gets silence.
> https://wiki.debian.org/PulseAudio
>
> I suppose you've verified in a mixer program and/or pavucontrol that all
> is as should be.
Yes, I've checked both alsamixer and pavucontrol.  Everything looks the
same under all three logins.

>> So why does pulseaudio not create the files it needs, like it did for me
>> and my wife?  Is there something else that I am missing? Any help will
>> be appreciated.
> I don't have a ~/.config/pulse/ directory myself; I suppose in my case
> pulse gets its config from /etc/pulse.
>
> BTW, as it would appear that ~/.config/pulse/ is a directory and
> not a file (unless I'm wrong in which case I'm wrong) I don't see how your
> 'rm ~/.config/pulse' command worked. But I guess I'm wrong because
> certainly you would have noticed "rm: cannot remove 'pulse/': Is a
> directory".
>
> Or maybe during the redaction of your post you left out the '-r' flag by
> inadvertence.
Correct.  The -r should have been included.

BTW, I solved the problem of the directory and files not being
recreated.  My daughter had a .pulse sub-directory in her /home/
directory which prevented the new directory and files from being
created.  Deleting that directory allowed the new directory and files to
be created, but my daughter still gets no sound.

Marc

Re: PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

Jörg-Volker Peetz-3
Maybe, the output of "pactl info" can shed some light?

Regards,
jvp.

On 2017-07-16, Marc Shapiro <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I suppose you've verified in a mixer program and/or pavucontrol that all
>> is as should be.
> Yes, I've checked both alsamixer and pavucontrol.  Everything looks the
> same under all three logins.

Have you unmuted all columns in alsamixer for user daughter (green 00
under each column)? Have you tried turning up the volume (because there
exists some kind of "no sound below a volume cutoff" bug).

What output is shown, if any, in the pavucontrol Applications panel when
playing, or attempting to play, a wav file? What output is shown in the
application itself? It isn't clear to me by what means you're verifying
that your daughter has no sound. mplayer, vlc, aplay, browser? All of
the above? Warnings? Error messages? Clues?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting

--
“We’ll sit around talking about the good old days, when we wished that we were dead.”
--Samuel Beckett, speculating on the nature of the afterlife.

Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote on 07/17/17 10:06:
> Maybe, the output of "pactl info" can shed some light?

Or try "pacmd dump-volumes".

Regards,
jvp.

Re: PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

Jimmy Johnson-8
On 07/16/2017 03:18 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> On 07/14/2017 02:09 AM, Curt wrote:

>> Or maybe during the redaction of your post you left out the '-r' flag by
>> inadvertence.
> Correct.  The -r should have been included.
>
> BTW, I solved the problem of the directory and files not being
> recreated.  My daughter had a .pulse sub-directory in her /home/
> directory which prevented the new directory and files from being
> created.  Deleting that directory allowed the new directory and files to
> be created, but my daughter still gets no sound.

Hi Marc,

I have pulse installed on a lot of computers, more than 50 systems
installed for many year without problem, why do you think your daughter
is having this problem?  It seems to me something is wrong with the
basic system install.
Is audio the only problem or are there other problems too?

If audio is the only problem I would remove pulse and all it's files,
run deborphan and clean the system up and then reinstall pulse and vlc
or gstreamer, I use gstreamer but vlc is the default install and works too.

Good luck!
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - KDE 4.13.2 - Intel G3220 - EXT4 at sda1
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

Felix Miata-3
Marc, maybe if you compare the output from alsa-info.sh[1] of your daughter's PC
to the other two you could spot a package omission or some discrepancy? If you
can't, maybe run pastebinit for us to see it?

[1] https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/