Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Thomas Goirand-3
Hi,

FYI, I intend to push the below packages to jessie-backports, as part of
the upload of OpenStack Liberty:

alabaster contextlib2 kazoo python-cachetools python-cffi python-cliff
python-crank python-ddt python-docker python-eventlet python-git
python-gitdb python-hypothesis python-ldap3 python-mock python-mysqldb
python-pathlib python-repoze.who python-setuptools python-smmap
python-unicodecsv python-urllib3 requests routes ryu sphinx sqlalchemy
turbogears2 unittest2 zzzeeksphinx

If you maintain one of the above packages and want to manage the bpo
upload yourself, please let me know ASAP. All of them are already built
and ready on my laptop, I'm waiting for a few more OpenStack packages to
migrate to Stretch, and I'll press the Enter key.

As I already bloged about it, and that I am also sending a mail here, I
will *not* send individual emails to maintainers: it would take too long
to do that, and a broadcast of the type I'm hereby doing is probably
more efficient. I hope everyone understands it.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Piotr Ożarowski-2
[Thomas Goirand, 2015-11-23]
> FYI, I intend to push the below packages to jessie-backports, as part of
> the upload of OpenStack Liberty:
>
> alabaster contextlib2 kazoo python-cachetools python-cffi python-cliff
> python-crank python-ddt python-docker python-eventlet python-git
> python-gitdb python-hypothesis python-ldap3 python-mock python-mysqldb
> python-pathlib python-repoze.who python-setuptools python-smmap
> python-unicodecsv python-urllib3 requests routes ryu sphinx sqlalchemy
> turbogears2 unittest2 zzzeeksphinx

please follow the right procedure at least with packages I maintain.
(I want too see debdiff and have enough time to check it, that includes
sending it to the right email, f.e. [hidden email]).

About sqlalchemy - Sandro is already working on it AFAICT, so you can
skip this one.

> As I already bloged about it, and that I am also sending a mail here, I
> will *not* send individual emails to maintainers: it would take too long

so my packages are out of limits for you

> to do that, and a broadcast of the type I'm hereby doing is probably
> more efficient. I hope everyone understands it.

I don't
evil general Piotr

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Daniele Tricoli
Hello Thomas,

On Monday, November 23, 2015 09:20:40 AM Thomas Goirand wrote:
> If you maintain one of the above packages and want to manage the bpo
> upload yourself, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks for backporting python-urllib3 and requests. If you did not have to
make changes on the packaging to please go ahead, otherwise a debdiff will be
very appreciated! :)

Please also consider that currently python-etcd is broken by the unbundling
logic and we are working on it with upstream:

    https://github.com/kennethreitz/requests/issues/2870

My plan was to backport requests when we was sure that unbundling logic was
completely fine, but python-etcd is not in Jessie so we should not have
problems right now.

Anyway I will backport requests again when upstream issue 2870 will be fixed.

Kind regards,

--
 Daniele Tricoli 'eriol'
 https://mornie.org

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Dmitry Shachnev-3
Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 09:20:40AM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FYI, I intend to push the below packages to jessie-backports, as part of
> the upload of OpenStack Liberty:
>
> alabaster contextlib2 kazoo python-cachetools python-cffi python-cliff
> python-crank python-ddt python-docker python-eventlet python-git
> python-gitdb python-hypothesis python-ldap3 python-mock python-mysqldb
> python-pathlib python-repoze.who python-setuptools python-smmap
> python-unicodecsv python-urllib3 requests routes ryu sphinx sqlalchemy
> turbogears2 unittest2 zzzeeksphinx
I will appreciate if you backport Sphinx because I was recently asked about
the same [1]. You will maybe also want to backport sphinx-rtd-theme ≥ 0.1.8-2,
where the dh_sphinxdoc experience was greatly improved.

You will also definitely have to do some changes like reverting the jquery
dependency bump made in 1.3.1-7 — Sphinx works with previous jquery versions,
but it had some issues with browser supports, that's why the dependency was
bumped.

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/805430  (please close it in the upload)

--
Dmitry Shachnev

On 11/23/2015 09:32 AM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

> [Thomas Goirand, 2015-11-23]
>> FYI, I intend to push the below packages to jessie-backports, as part of
>> the upload of OpenStack Liberty:
>>
>> alabaster contextlib2 kazoo python-cachetools python-cffi python-cliff
>> python-crank python-ddt python-docker python-eventlet python-git
>> python-gitdb python-hypothesis python-ldap3 python-mock python-mysqldb
>> python-pathlib python-repoze.who python-setuptools python-smmap
>> python-unicodecsv python-urllib3 requests routes ryu sphinx sqlalchemy
>> turbogears2 unittest2 zzzeeksphinx
>
> please follow the right procedure at least with packages I maintain.

Would you mind explicitly tell what you call "the right procedure"? As
much as I know, it's not mandatory to do anything but uploading to
backports. I've wrote this message is just out of courtesy.

> (I want too see debdiff and have enough time to check it

None of the packages listed include any difference from Sid, they are
just rebuilt with my key without change.

> that includes
> sending it to the right email, f.e. [hidden email]).

As I wrote, that's too much work to write individual mails, and here,
you know already, so what do you need to know more?

> About sqlalchemy - Sandro is already working on it AFAICT, so you can
> skip this one.

Ok. Let's hope he's finished soon then. What's the blocker, ATM? FYI, I
will not treat this as a blocker for my upload, so if he's not done
before me, I'll upload SQLAlchemy to jessie-backports anyway. Then of
course, you can re-upload corrections if you see fit. Let's hope you'll
take this the correct way (ie: I do not intend any offense by uploading
first, it's just that I don't think waiting is necessary), and don't
make such a deal.

>> As I already bloged about it, and that I am also sending a mail here, I
>> will *not* send individual emails to maintainers: it would take too long
>
> so my packages are out of limits for you

Could you care to explain what you mean here?

I deny the fact that these are *your* packages btw, and like it or not,
they will appear in backports, as I need them. There's nothing which can
prevent me from doing so, unless you want to backport them yourself
first of course (which would be more than welcome).

> I don't

I'm not surprised by the type of reaction I'm seeing from you again.
Maybe you could consider switching to a more positive attitude, like I
just saw from Daniele Tricoli? He's fine with me uploading first, then
he may take over later if he needs. Why not?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

On 11/23/2015 12:34 PM, Daniele Tricoli wrote:

> Hello Thomas,
>
> On Monday, November 23, 2015 09:20:40 AM Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> If you maintain one of the above packages and want to manage the bpo
>> upload yourself, please let me know ASAP.
>
> Thanks for backporting python-urllib3 and requests. If you did not have to
> make changes on the packaging to please go ahead, otherwise a debdiff will be
> very appreciated! :)
>
> Please also consider that currently python-etcd is broken by the unbundling
> logic and we are working on it with upstream:
>
>     https://github.com/kennethreitz/requests/issues/2870
>
> My plan was to backport requests when we was sure that unbundling logic was
> completely fine, but python-etcd is not in Jessie so we should not have
> problems right now.
>
> Anyway I will backport requests again when upstream issue 2870 will be fixed.
>
> Kind regards,

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If you can maintain a backport requests & urllib3 yourself, that's
perfect. This is exactly the type of reaction I was expecting from
package maintainers, and it's a lot more positive than the reaction from
Piotr.

So let's do what you suggested: if I don't see your package in
jessie-backports, I'll upload, and then you can take over as it pleases you.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

On 11/23/2015 01:44 PM, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> I will appreciate if you backport Sphinx because I was recently asked about
> the same [1].

Cool.

> You will maybe also want to backport sphinx-rtd-theme ≥ 0.1.8-2,
> where the dh_sphinxdoc experience was greatly improved.

As much as I could see, I don't need sphinx-rtd-theme in backports.

> You will also definitely have to do some changes like reverting the jquery
> dependency bump made in 1.3.1-7 — Sphinx works with previous jquery versions,
> but it had some issues with browser supports, that's why the dependency was
> bumped.

There's already a version 1.11.3+dfsg-4~bpo8+1 of jquery in backports,
which is the one I also need for my other packages. So I don't think
that one is a blocker.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Piotr Ożarowski-2
[Thomas Goirand, 2015-11-23]
> > please follow the right procedure at least with packages I maintain.
>
> Would you mind explicitly tell what you call "the right procedure"? As
> much as I know, it's not mandatory to do anything but uploading to
> backports. I've wrote this message is just out of courtesy.

1) build in jessie
2) test in jessie
3) send current maintainer debdiff and a note that you plan to upload it
   to backports

but you're right 3) is not valid...

http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/ contains:

| Inform the Maintainer
|
| It is a good idea to contact the maintainer of the package in Debian
| prior to your upload to let them know or even share ideas and common
| pitfalls (like special dependencies)"

is "only" in "Best Practice" section. I was mislead by the
backports.debian.org domain change (s/net/org/) few years ago.

I will close all bugs reported against packages with bpo in version.
(yay! I'm RC-bug free again!)

I chose 1 (one!) package¹ and it FTBFS so you failed to do 1) and I'm
guessing you didn't do 2) as well (how could you test a package that
doesn't build?)

> > (I want too see debdiff and have enough time to check it
>
> None of the packages listed include any difference from Sid, they are
> just rebuilt with my key without change.

I'm very good at guessing and I guessed that you did exactly that!

I don't blame you that much, it's not possible to check 150 packages
correctly. You're doing a good job with openstack anyway given the
amount of work for one person. I just expect more from MY packages (and
it doesn't matter much if they're in Ubuntu or in backports where I'm
not officially maintaining them)

Anyway, I documented what you need to change in order to do backport
in the changelog and hope your will fix it before uploading.

> Ok. Let's hope he's finished soon then. What's the blocker, ATM? FYI, I
> will not treat this as a blocker for my upload, so if he's not done

That is exactly the reason I react fast and without any sugar to your
help. I know you do what you want and when you want

> course, you can re-upload corrections if you see fit. Let's hope you'll
> take this the correct way (ie: I do not intend any offense by uploading
> first, it's just that I don't think waiting is necessary), and don't
> make such a deal.

oh, so you will do something I told you not to do and hope I will not
take it the wrong way?

> >> As I already bloged about it, and that I am also sending a mail here, I
> >> will *not* send individual emails to maintainers: it would take too long

oh, right, you bloged about it. It's all right then.

> > so my packages are out of limits for you
>
> Could you care to explain what you mean here?

it means I ask you (as that's all I can do) to not upload packages I
maintain.

[¹] OK, OK, I chose the one I knew needs changes in Jessie, I'm evil
evil general Piotr

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Vincent Bernat-3
 ❦ 23 novembre 2015 09:20 +0100, Thomas Goirand <[hidden email]> :

> alabaster contextlib2 kazoo python-cachetools python-cffi python-cliff
> python-crank python-ddt python-docker python-eventlet python-git
> python-gitdb python-hypothesis python-ldap3 python-mock python-mysqldb
> python-pathlib python-repoze.who python-setuptools python-smmap
> python-unicodecsv python-urllib3 requests routes ryu sphinx sqlalchemy
> turbogears2 unittest2 zzzeeksphinx

For python-cffi, its upload will break other packages in stable. This
has been discussed on IRC a few months ago. I don't remember
exactly. It will break snimpy, but not silently, so I'll upload a new
version in backports. It will break python-cryptography silently (will
happily coinstall but will crash on run). But some people wanted to have
a backport for it.

I can manage the backport of python-hypothesis myself, but I think you
will be faster than me, so go ahead.
--
Keep it right when you make it faster.

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Sandro Tosi-6
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Piotr Ożarowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> About sqlalchemy - Sandro is already working on it AFAICT, so you can
> skip this one.

gaah, sorry for not following up with this: we used that package to do
some training at work, and for various reason we cant upload the same
exact package we built here; anyway it was just a mare rebuild of
1.0.8+ds1-1 in jessie with the bpo tag appended to the pkg version. If
you want I can quickly rebuild one, or use zigo's one, Piotr just
lemme know.

regards,

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Piotr Ożarowski-2
[Sandro Tosi, 2015-11-24]
> gaah, sorry for not following up with this: we used that package to do
> some training at work, and for various reason we cant upload the same
> exact package we built here; anyway it was just a mare rebuild of
> 1.0.8+ds1-1 in jessie with the bpo tag appended to the pkg version. If
> you want I can quickly rebuild one, or use zigo's one, Piotr just
> lemme know.

there's no "zigo's one", that's the point, he hides them.
I would much more prefer you to do it (and I don't need debdiff from
you, just upload)
--
Piotr Ożarowski                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer
www.ozarowski.pl          www.griffith.cc           www.debian.org

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Sandro Tosi
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Piotr Ożarowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Sandro Tosi, 2015-11-24]
>> gaah, sorry for not following up with this: we used that package to do
>> some training at work, and for various reason we cant upload the same
>> exact package we built here; anyway it was just a mare rebuild of
>> 1.0.8+ds1-1 in jessie with the bpo tag appended to the pkg version. If
>> you want I can quickly rebuild one, or use zigo's one, Piotr just
>> lemme know.
>
> there's no "zigo's one", that's the point, he hides them.
> I would much more prefer you to do it (and I don't need debdiff from
> you, just upload)

cool, will do soon then! do you want me to push a branch to git? if
so, how would you like it to be called: 'jessie', 'bpo8', else?

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Piotr Ożarowski-2
[Sandro Tosi, 2015-11-24]
> cool, will do soon then! do you want me to push a branch to git? if
> so, how would you like it to be called: 'jessie', 'bpo8', else?

I don't have strong opinion about branch names yet. I like standards, so
I'd prefer one described in DEP but they're not compatible with git-dpm,
unfortunately.

>From the two suggested ones I prefer jessie, but if it's just rebuild,
I'm also fine if you don't push it at all.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 06:17:33PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> I will appreciate if you backport Sphinx because I was recently asked about
>> the same [1].
>
> Cool.
>
>> You will maybe also want to backport sphinx-rtd-theme ≥ 0.1.8-2,
>> where the dh_sphinxdoc experience was greatly improved.
>
> As much as I could see, I don't need sphinx-rtd-theme in backports.

OK.

>> You will also definitely have to do some changes like reverting the jquery
>> dependency bump made in 1.3.1-7 — Sphinx works with previous jquery versions,
>> but it had some issues with browser supports, that's why the dependency was
>> bumped.
>
> There's already a version 1.11.3+dfsg-4~bpo8+1 of jquery in backports,
> which is the one I also need for my other packages. So I don't think
> that one is a blocker.

Ack, I didn't notice that. Then there is a chance that you won't need any
changes (except adding a changelog entry) :)

--
Dmitry Shachnev

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Piotr Ożarowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Sandro Tosi, 2015-11-24]
>> cool, will do soon then! do you want me to push a branch to git? if
>> so, how would you like it to be called: 'jessie', 'bpo8', else?
>
> I don't have strong opinion about branch names yet. I like standards, so
> I'd prefer one described in DEP but they're not compatible with git-dpm,
> unfortunately.
>
> >From the two suggested ones I prefer jessie, but if it's just rebuild,
> I'm also fine if you don't push it at all.

great, less work for me! I've just uploaded sqlalchemy 1.0.9 to jessie
backports, it was indeed just a rebuild. Thanks Piotr!

On 11/23/2015 09:54 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>>> so my packages are out of limits for you
>>
>> Could you care to explain what you mean here?
>
> it means I ask you (as that's all I can do) to not upload packages I
> maintain.

If you don't say you'll maintain the packages in backports (which I
warmly would welcome) and at the same time tell that you don't want me
to upload to stable-backports, what other choice do I have but to ignore
you? It wouldn't be a reasonable answer to give-up uploading OpenStack
to jessie-backports just because of this.

The rest of your message is only provocation (for example, when you
write that I don't do tests, when you perfectly know I run a CI to do
functional testing). I don't think replying to it will help.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Piotr Ożarowski-2
[Thomas Goirand, 2015-11-24]
> If you don't say you'll maintain the packages in backports (which I
> warmly would welcome) and at the same time tell that you don't want me
> to upload to stable-backports, what other choice do I have but to ignore
> you?

see my first email

PS I'm getting all the emails from backports even if I wasn't the one
who uploaded so this is official after all.

On 11/24/2015 01:32 PM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Piotr Ożarowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [Sandro Tosi, 2015-11-24]
>>> cool, will do soon then! do you want me to push a branch to git? if
>>> so, how would you like it to be called: 'jessie', 'bpo8', else?
>>
>> I don't have strong opinion about branch names yet. I like standards, so
>> I'd prefer one described in DEP but they're not compatible with git-dpm,
>> unfortunately.
>>
>> >From the two suggested ones I prefer jessie, but if it's just rebuild,
>> I'm also fine if you don't push it at all.
>
> great, less work for me! I've just uploaded sqlalchemy 1.0.9 to jessie
> backports, it was indeed just a rebuild. Thanks Piotr!

Thanks for this upload.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

On 11/24/2015 07:29 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Thomas Goirand, 2015-11-24]
>> If you don't say you'll maintain the packages in backports (which I
>> warmly would welcome) and at the same time tell that you don't want me
>> to upload to stable-backports, what other choice do I have but to ignore
>> you?
>
> see my first email

Which part of it? The one where you're asking for a mail per package, or
the one where you're telling that your packages are off limit? The 2
parts are contradicting each other btw, so it's confusing.

> PS I'm getting all the emails from backports even if I wasn't the one
> who uploaded so this is official after all.

This isn't new, and it's been discussed at large. Basically, we would
all like the BTS to have the feature to select which is the maintainer
for a given suite. It is supposed to be fixed for the PPA^WBikeshed
support. In the mean time, we have to deal with it.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Re: Pushing a bunch of packages to jessie-backports

Piotr Ożarowski-2
[Thomas Goirand, 2015-11-24]
> Which part of it? The one where you're asking for a mail per package, or

debdiff of what you want to upload + time for me to check it (a week, I
will respond most probably in 24h, though)

> the one where you're telling that your packages are off limit? The 2
> parts are contradicting each other btw, so it's confusing.

this part is a response to what you wrote, see what I quoted

> > PS I'm getting all the emails from backports even if I wasn't the one
> > who uploaded so this is official after all.
>
> This isn't new, and it's been discussed at large. Basically, we would
> all like the BTS to have the feature to select which is the maintainer
> for a given suite. It is supposed to be fixed for the PPA^WBikeshed
> support. In the mean time, we have to deal with it.

until this is fixed, I consider it official Debian archive and thus
any upload of *my* package that I do not approve: a hijack