Python

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python

Kris G
Hi,

I am considering switching over to Debian from Fedora. I was wondering if Debian Jessie has python pre installed? Or does it have to be installed via the terminal as an apt-get?

I apologise if this is a silly question?

Regards.

Sent from my iPhone
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python

Lisi Reisz
On Saturday 08 July 2017 13:06:29 Kris G wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am considering switching over to Debian from Fedora. I was wondering if
> Debian Jessie has python pre installed? Or does it have to be installed via
> the terminal as an apt-get?
>
> I apologise if this is a silly question?
>
> Regards.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Why are you thinking of causing yourself problems by installing Jessie (Old
Stable, soon out of support) when the current Stable is Stretch?

To answer your question:

lisi@Eros:~$ aptitude show python
Package: python
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Multi-Arch: allowed
Version: 2.7.9-1
Priority: standard
Section: python
Maintainer: Matthias Klose <[hidden email]>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 696 k
Depends: python2.7 (>= 2.7.9-1~), libpython-stdlib (= 2.7.9-1)
PreDepends: python-minimal (= 2.7.9-1)
Suggests: python-doc (= 2.7.9-1), python-tk (>= 2.7.9-1~)
Conflicts: python-central (< 0.5.5), python-central (< 0.5.5), python
Breaks: update-manager-core (< 0.200.5-2), update-manager-core (< 0.200.5-2)
Replaces: python-dev (< 2.6.5-2), python-dev (< 2.6.5-2)
Provides: python-ctypes, python-email, python-importlib, python-profiler,
python-wsgiref, python:any
Description: interactive high-level object-oriented language (default version)
 Python, the high-level, interactive object oriented language, includes an
extensive class library
 with lots of goodies for network programming, system administration, sounds
and graphics.

 This package is a dependency package, which depends on Debian's default
Python version (currently
 v2.7).
Homepage: http://www.python.org/

Tags: devel::interpreter, devel::lang:python, implemented-in::c,
implemented-in::python,
      interface::commandline, role::metapackage, role::program, scope::utility

lisi@Eros:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
8.8
lisi@Eros:~$

Lisi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python

tomas@tuxteam.de
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 02:33:26PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Saturday 08 July 2017 13:06:29 Kris G wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am considering switching over to Debian from Fedora. I was wondering if
> > Debian Jessie has python pre installed? Or does it have to be installed via
> > the terminal as an apt-get?
> >
> > I apologise if this is a silly question?
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
>
> Why are you thinking of causing yourself problems by installing Jessie (Old
> Stable, soon out of support) when the current Stable is Stretch?
>
> To answer your question:

...and to complement Lisi's answer:

> lisi@Eros:~$ aptitude show python
> Package: python
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: no
> Multi-Arch: allowed
> Version: 2.7.9-1
> Priority: standard
            ^^^^^^^^

Priority "standard" means that when you do a normal, boring install
process, this package will get in. See [1] for details.

If you want to browse what packages are available, which priority
status they have, etc. have a look at packages.debian.org [2]
(BTW: I've needed a similar resource for RedHat/CentOS at a
customer's site: does such a beast exist?)

Besides, if you select a desktop environment, you'll get a graphical
package manager, so you won't really need to do apt-get from a
terminal.

That said, people around here tend to like terminals. Once one
discovers how to throw things together like Lego blocks, there is
no way back. It's addictive. I have the suspicion that it taps
directly into the brain's dopamine receptors. Be careful :-)

Enjoy

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-priority
[2] https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
- -- tomás
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAllg4ucACgkQBcgs9XrR2kYrBgCfV1Rhl3HDIZZ8LLdBpohdPY7Q
duQAn008LNqUog9D5+B1qr6xyJo9nrfl
=/TNF
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python

John Hasler-3
In reply to this post by Kris G
Kris G writes:
> I am considering switching over to Debian from Fedora. I was wondering
> if Debian Jessie has python pre installed? Or does it have to be
> installed via the terminal as an apt-get?

If you mean the Python run-time packages needed by packages that are
written in Python, don't worry about it.  The dependency system will see
to it that what you need is there when you need it (besides, as others
have pointed out, Python is Standard anyway).  If you mean a Python
development environment you may want to install something like
python-django depending on what you want to do.
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA