Question about blocked package to testing

Question about blocked package to testing

Elías Alejandro
Hello all
I have a question about a package which have a delayed transition
to testing. Gpick package has fixed under unstable a bug related with
python3 migration but it's blocked because of regression.[1]
-Do you know how to fix this regression block? How can I test
 under a local environment?
-Should I do a new upload version to fix it? or just fix it under salsa?
-Under build system it's fine [2] but with salsa-ci pipeline[3] it fails.
 Do you know why?

[1] https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=gpick
[2] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=gpick
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/elias-guest/gpick/pipelines/120059

Thanks for your valuable help.

Best regards.
Elías Alejandro

Re: Question about blocked package to testing

Thibaut Paumard-8
Dear Elias,

Le 03/04/2020 à 02:50, Elías Alejandro a écrit :
> Hello all
> I have a question about a package which have a delayed transition
> to testing. Gpick package has fixed under unstable a bug related with
> python3 migration but it's blocked because of regression.[1]
> -Do you know how to fix this regression block? How can I test
>  under a local environment?

You can (and probably should) build your package using sbuild and
configure it to run autopkgtest after build.

when sbuild is set-up, you can also run autopkgtest manually in its schroot.

Your test tries to open a display. This is not possible on the build and
test infrastructure (the machines are headless). You have two options:

  - skip this test ;

  - run this test within a virtual X server. I do this in Yorick. See:

https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/yorick/-/blob/master/debian/tests/control

The test depends on package xvfb and the test command is wrapped in a
call to xvfb-run.

> -Should I do a new upload version to fix it? or just fix it under salsa?

You need to upload it.

> -Under build system it's fine [2] but with salsa-ci pipeline[3] it fails.
>  Do you know why?

Is the test run during build ?

> [1] https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=gpick
> [2] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=gpick
> [3] https://salsa.debian.org/elias-guest/gpick/pipelines/120059

Regards, Thibaut.

Re: Question about blocked package to testing

Robin Gustafsson
Hi Elías,

> -Under build system it's fine [2] but with salsa-ci pipeline[3] it fails.
>  Do you know why?

The error in the build output [1] implies that GPICK_BUILD_DATE is
expected, but not found, among the environment variables. You probably
have it set in your local environment, but it's not being set
automatically and thus it's not being set in the CI pipeline.

I'm not so sure that the status in buildd should be interpreted as
proof of a successful (automated) build. The QA page states that it
was "Not built on buildd" [2] because you uploaded it pre-built.

> How can I test under a local environment?

I find sbuild [3] to be very helpful. It'll probably produce the same
error for you locally.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/elias-guest/gpick/-/jobs/631212#L1178
[2] https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=gpick
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild

Regards,
Robin

Re: Question about blocked package to testing

Elías Alejandro
Dear Thibaut,
On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 09:08:00AM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:

> Dear Elias,
>
> You can (and probably should) build your package using sbuild and
> configure it to run autopkgtest after build.
>
> when sbuild is set-up, you can also run autopkgtest manually in its schroot.
>
> Your test tries to open a display. This is not possible on the build and
> test infrastructure (the machines are headless). You have two options:
>
>   - skip this test ;
>
>   - run this test within a virtual X server. I do this in Yorick. See:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/yorick/-/blob/master/debian/tests/control
>
> The test depends on package xvfb and the test command is wrapped in a
> call to xvfb-run.
>
> > -Should I do a new upload version to fix it? or just fix it under salsa?
>
> You need to upload it.
>
> > -Under build system it's fine [2] but with salsa-ci pipeline[3] it fails.
> >  Do you know why?
>
> Is the test run during build ?

After building process with sbuild, but I've found what the problem is. Thanks!
Within the next hours I'll upload a new version fixing this issues.
Thanks again!

Best regards.
Elías Alejandro

Re: Question about blocked package to testing

Elías Alejandro
Hi Robin,
On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 09:46:34AM +0200, Robin Gustafsson wrote:

> Hi Elías,
>
> > -Under build system it's fine [2] but with salsa-ci pipeline[3] it fails.
> >  Do you know why?
>
> The error in the build output [1] implies that GPICK_BUILD_DATE is
> expected, but not found, among the environment variables. You probably
> have it set in your local environment, but it's not being set
> automatically and thus it's not being set in the CI pipeline.
>
> I'm not so sure that the status in buildd should be interpreted as
> proof of a successful (automated) build. The QA page states that it
> was "Not built on buildd" [2] because you uploaded it pre-built.

Yeap, I've fixed GPICK_BUILD_DATE value and now it works fine.

> > How can I test under a local environment?
>
> I find sbuild [3] to be very helpful. It'll probably produce the same
> error for you locally.

sbuild helped me to test and finally fix this issue. Thanks a lot!

Best regards.
Elías Alejandro