Quantcast

Question for Chris: organising more meetings?

Question for Chris: organising more meetings?

Steve McIntyre
Hi Chris,

First of all, thanks for standing!

I think we've been trying to encourage people to organise more sprints
and mini-debconfs and other face-to-face meetings over the last few
years, but I'm worried that we're not getting very much traction. what
would you do to improve the situation here?

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                [hidden email]
"Every time you use Tcl, God kills a kitten." -- Malcolm Ray

Re: Question for Chris: organising more meetings?

Chris Lamb-8
Hi Steve,

> First of all, thanks for standing!

No, thank you for your kind words. :)

> we've been trying to encourage people to organise more sprints and
> mini-debconfs and other face-to-face meetings over the last few
> years, but I'm worried that we're not getting very much traction.

Organising meetups is not only difficult in itself but moreover can be
quite the thankless task with a lot of hard work that is hidden from
others. This is compounded by the skills required to run meetups, such
as liasing with venues/caterers, etc. are — how can I put this — not
generally part of the repetoire of the typical developer.

To address this, I intend to take a three-pronged approach:

Firstly, I would identify meetups that "fell through" or didn't happen
a second time due to (for example) the lack of a suitable venue. I'd
proactively look into finding alternative solutions for these to help
them get back on track.

Secondly, I would work on ensuring that the various organisation teams
are given the credit they deserve. Whilst nobody is taking their work
for granted, we should be trumpeting their effort far beyond a cursory
applause, a nod and a thanks as we leave on the final day. Conversely,
nobody is organising a meetup simply for the pat on the back at the end,
but I think we could strike a better balance here.

Lastly, I would organise some meetups myself. Hey, that's one way of
ensuring they happen, right? :)

      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb
     `. `'`      [hidden email] / chris-lamb.co.uk
       `-

Q to both: facilitating meetups (was: Question for Chris: organising more meetings?)

martin f krafft
Following the three-pronged approach Chris wants to take towards
facilitating meetups in Debian (I am replying to the message)¹ —

¹) <[hidden email]>

I have three questions to both our candidates:

In what ways do you see Debian itself being a bit of the rust on the
cogwheels making organisation harder?

Contrariwise, what do you think is already working really well?

What could be done from the side of the project to
improve/facilitate the organisation of meetups?

 .''`.   martin f. krafft <[hidden email]> @martinkrafft
: :'  :  proud Debian developer
`. `'`   http://people.debian.org/~madduck
  `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems

"prisons are built with stones of law,
 brothels with bricks of religion."
                                                    -- william blake

digital_signature_gpg.asc (1K) Download Attachment