RFC: shipping a default gtkrc

Josselin Mouette
As it was recently suggested (sorry, I can't remember by whom), it is
possible to ship a default configuration for GTK+ applications
in /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, that could look like this:

        gtk-theme-name = "Clearlooks"
        gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome"

When gtk2-engines and gnome-icon-theme are not installed, these settings
will be silently ignored. Otherwise, they will be used by applications
run outside a GNOME/XFCE session. They will also be overriden by
*-settings-daemon, so this really looks harmless.

What makes it useful is:
      * that GTK+ applications should benefit of a better default look,
        even when run outside GNOME;
      * that some GNOME applications, like epiphany and evolution, make
        assumptions of what icons are available in the default icon
        theme, enforced by a dependency on gnome-icon-theme, but when
        they are run outside GNOME, the default icon theme is hicolor
        and they won't benefit of it.

Does anyone oppose to such a change?
--
 .''`.
: :' :      We are debian.org. Lower your prices, surrender your code.

Re: RFC: shipping a default gtkrc

Loïc Minier
On Thu, May 03, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> As it was recently suggested (sorry, I can't remember by whom), it is
> possible to ship a default configuration for GTK+ applications
> in /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, that could look like this:
>         gtk-theme-name = "Clearlooks"
>         gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome"
> When gtk2-engines and gnome-icon-theme are not installed, these settings
> will be silently ignored. Otherwise, they will be used by applications
> run outside a GNOME/XFCE session. They will also be overriden by
> *-settings-daemon, so this really looks harmless.
>
> What makes it useful is:
>       * that GTK+ applications should benefit of a better default look,
>         even when run outside GNOME;
>       * that some GNOME applications, like epiphany and evolution, make
>         assumptions of what icons are available in the default icon
>         theme, enforced by a dependency on gnome-icon-theme, but when
>         they are run outside GNOME, the default icon theme is hicolor
>         and they won't benefit of it.

 Yes, we received at least a couple of bug reports on the topic, such as
 #421353.

 I discussed this with Sébastien which reminded me that this is probably
 since we dropped a patch which was setting the fallback icon theme in
 gtk/gtkicontheme.c.

 However, there's now clean support for fallback-icon-theme as a
 GtkSetting, except it's empty by default (and the default
 gtk-icon-theme-name is "hicolor"); see GNOME #325546.

> Does anyone oppose to such a change?

 It's a good workaround to the bugs we receive, but instead of
 distributing a gtkrc, I preferred patching the default
 "gtk-fallback-icon-theme" which a bit better; this avoids touching the
 gtk-icon-theme-name setting, and shipping a gtkrc.

 I don't think we need Clearlooks as gtk-theme-name though.

--
Loïc Minier

Le jeudi 03 mai 2007 à 21:31 +0200, Loïc Minier a écrit :
>  I don't think we need Clearlooks as gtk-theme-name though.

It's not needed per se, but it would make things better for users of GTK
applications outside GNOME/XFCE.

--
 .''`.
: :' :      We are debian.org. Lower your prices, surrender your code.
`. `'       We will add your hardware and software distinctiveness to
  `-        our own. Resistance is futile.

Re: RFC: shipping a default gtkrc

Loïc Minier
On Thu, May 03, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> It's not needed per se, but it would make things better for users of GTK
> applications outside GNOME/XFCE.

 I fear we'll receive bugs on "missing dependency on clearlooks" and I
 don't feel it's worth adding the conffile.

--
Loïc Minier

Re: RFC: shipping a default gtkrc

Matt Good-3
Loïc Minier wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>
>> It's not needed per se, but it would make things better for users of GTK
>> applications outside GNOME/XFCE.
>>

>  I fear we'll receive bugs on "missing dependency on clearlooks" and I
>  don't feel it's worth adding the conffile.

As long as users don't see errors about Clearlooks missing I don't see
the downside.  If you think users will report a missing dependency put a
comment in the file to indicate that it's only an optional default.

I tried ion3 for a while and it was a PITA to find out how to set the
GTK theme to something decent.  Typically when I see someone using an
alternate DE they just use the ugly default GTK look.  It seems like
quite a small change that will improve the user experience.

-- Matt Good

On Thu, May 03, 2007, Matt Good wrote:
>                                 Typically when I see someone using an
> alternate DE they just use the ugly default GTK look.

 It wont get them Clearlooks installed.  In the example of the icon
 themes, we have dependencies in place already, only the environment
 needs fixing.  :-/

--
Loïc Minier