[RFR] Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage

Wolfgang Schweer-3
The official Debian Edu Blends webpage has been reworked with the
intention to serve as a basic Debian Edu landing page, see:
https://blends.debian.org/edu/

Since the former www.skolelinux.org site stopped working there has been
some redirecting taken place.
It seems that at present www.skolelinux.org is pointing to
www.skolelinux.de and www.skolelinux.no to wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu

I propose to use https://blends.debian.org/edu/ as Debian Edu /
Skolelinux homepage because it
 - makes clear that Debian Edu is a part of Debian
 - puts Debian Edu into the Debian Pure Blends context
 - contains a short overview, but also links to all relevant locations
 - is kept in Git: https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/
 - is translatable

The (de) translation has already been done, this POT file has been used:
https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/raw/master/www/edu/index.pot

After a review of the English content, translations into more languages
could be done via PO files (or hosted.weblate).

Wolfgang

Re: [RFR] Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage

Dominik George-4
Hi,

>some redirecting taken place.
>It seems that at present www.skolelinux.org is pointing to
>www.skolelinux.de and www.skolelinux.no to wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu
>
>I propose to use https://blends.debian.org/edu/ as Debian Edu /
>Skolelinux homepage because it
> - makes clear that Debian Edu is a part of Debian
> - puts Debian Edu into the Debian Pure Blends context

I strongly object here.

The main domains should NOT point somewhere that is of interest for developers and nerds. They are entry points for novice teachers, headmasters, politicians, etc. who do not care about anything like Pure Blends, Debian packages or whatever, but about a product they can use.

We are making big efforts on that end with currently great success. Please do not start throwing that over again!

> - contains a short overview, but also links to all relevant locations

> - is translatable

Same for the current website.

Thanks,
Nik

Re: [RFR] Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage

Mike Gabriel-4
Hi Wolfgang, hi Nik,

On  Fr 12 Apr 2019 13:37:55 CEST, Dominik George wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> some redirecting taken place.
>> It seems that at present www.skolelinux.org is pointing to
>> www.skolelinux.de and www.skolelinux.no to wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu
>>
>> I propose to use https://blends.debian.org/edu/ as Debian Edu /
>> Skolelinux homepage because it
>> - makes clear that Debian Edu is a part of Debian
>> - puts Debian Edu into the Debian Pure Blends context
>
> I strongly object here.
>
> The main domains should NOT point somewhere that is of interest for
> developers and nerds. They are entry points for novice teachers,
> headmasters, politicians, etc. who do not care about anything like
> Pure Blends, Debian packages or whatever, but about a product they
> can use.
>
> We are making big efforts on that end with currently great success.
> Please do not start throwing that over again!
>
>> - contains a short overview, but also links to all relevant locations
>
>> - is translatable
>
> Same for the current website.
>
> Thanks,
> Nik
I agree with Dominik on the above. The Debian Edu landing page needs
to be attractive to the given target groups.

Whereas the Techkids e.V. landing page has the potential to be (and
become more) attractive to those target groups, my sense is that the
blends.debian.org site does not fulfill that purpose (unfashioned
layout & design, no mobile device support, etc.).

The https://blends.debian.org/edu/ site has its inherent justification
as Debian Edu is a Debian Pure Blend.

But for rather marketing-like purposes, I feel that the Techkids e.V.
landing page is the more appropriate solution.

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [hidden email], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

Re: [RFR] Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage

Holger Levsen-2
On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 01:45:57PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> I agree with Dominik on the above. The Debian Edu landing page needs to be
> attractive to the given target groups.

I agree with catering for that audience, but IMO
https://blends.debian.org/edu/ could become just that.

Actually to me https://blends.debian.org/edu/ has almost the same
'marketing language' as www.skolelinux.de, but the former also has
useful links to images, documentation and about the status of the
various releases.

> But for rather marketing-like purposes, I feel that the Techkids e.V.
> landing page is the more appropriate solution.

for that page to become the official Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage I
think some technical requirements need to be met:

- sources on salsa.debian.org
- translatable

AFAIK those two features are not yet there. (Please correct me if I'm
wrong.)

Content wise I don't quite like the sponsors at the bottom of
www.skolelinux.de as it looks like these companies support Debian Edu
which at least would be total news to me.

As a minor point, I don't think www.skoleinux.org should redirect to
www.skolelinux.de, but rather vice verse.

--
tschau,
        Holger

Dance like no one's watching. Encrypt like everyone is.

Re: [RFR] Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage

Dominik George-4
Hi,

>> I agree with Dominik on the above. The Debian Edu landing page needs
>to be
>> attractive to the given target groups.
>
>I agree with catering for that audience, but IMO
>https://blends.debian.org/edu/ could become just that.

I actually don't care where the stuff is hosted, but the Debian web system has a few drawbacks (see below).

>Actually to me https://blends.debian.org/edu/ has almost the same
>'marketing language' as www.skolelinux.de

Not yet. The first sentence is "Debian Edu is a Debian Pure Blend". You have lost the described audience at that point.

> but the former also has
>useful links to images, documentation and about the status of the
>various releases.

So has the latter.

>> But for rather marketing-like purposes, I feel that the Techkids e.V.
>> landing page is the more appropriate solution.
>
>for that page to become the official Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage I
>think some technical requirements need to be met:
>
>- sources on salsa.debian.org

I don't think this is a precondition.

>- translatable

It is translatable, just not string-wise. This is the major drawback of the Debian website: For the purposes of marketing, the different websites (.de, .at, .no, etc.) will not just need to be translated on string level, but also be adjusted to the background of the country (politocally, and the like).

>Content wise I don't quite like the sponsors at the bottom of
>www.skolelinux.de as it looks like these companies support Debian Edu
>which at least would be total news to me.

In Germany, that is the case. We have not yet worked on separating the websites, as described above.

As a minor point, I don't think www.skoleinux.org should redirect to
>www.skolelinux.de, but rather vice verse.

Indeed.

All in all, I'd advocate for looking at Debian Edu and Skolelinux as two names: Debian Edu being the technical project, and Skolelinux being the supported and advertised product, which involves more than just the software. The latter can, IMHO, be independent of Debian to some extent.

I am intending to make this one topic for the (yet to be announced, but probably not too surprising) sprint in Hamburg ;).

-nik

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 03:06:05PM +0200, Dominik George wrote:

> It is translatable, just not string-wise. This is the major drawback
> of the Debian website: For the purposes of marketing, the different
> websites (.de, .at, .no, etc.) will not just need to be translated on
> string level, but also be adjusted to the background of the country
> (politocally, and the like).

Well, it's quite easy to do so. Just see the new German version (link to
skolelinux.de added without any change done to the English master file).

Wolfgang

Re: [RFR] Debian Edu / Skolelinux homepage

Wolfgang Schweer-3
Thanks for the feedback. The Blends page has been reworked some time
ago, these are the changes:
- Content rewording
- Added po4a addendum framework to allow language specific additional
  content (see de.add as example)
- Improved rendering on handheld devices
- Automatic language choice according to user system settings

Sources and READMEs are available on salsa.debian.org, see
https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/tree/master/www/edu

Wolfgang