RFS: firefox-greasemonkey

Michael Spang
Package name    : firefox-greasemonkey
Version         : 0.6.4
Upstream Author : Aaron Boodman
URL             : http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
License         : No restrictions
Description     : firefox extension which enables customization of webpages with user scripts

Greasemonkey allows users of the Firefox web browser to create or download
user scripts which  modify the content or behavior of web sites. It
provides a
powerful way to personalize the web. The scripts are written in
Javascript and
have access to many of Firefox's features. A large collection of
prewritten scripts
can be found at userscripts.org

RFP: #325246
ITP: #341915

The package is available at
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/greasemonkey/

Thanks!
Michael Spang

Re: RFS: firefox-greasemonkey

Kari Pahula-2
owner 325246 michael spang <[hidden email]>
retitle 325246 ITP: firefox-greasemonkey -- firefox extension which enables customization of webpages with user scripts
merge 325246 341915
thank you

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:27:35PM -0500, Michael Spang wrote:
> RFP: #325246
> ITP: #341915

I hope you don't mind that I merged those.  It's customary to retitle
an RFP and set owner to yourself when changing an RFP to an ITP.

BTW, could you shorten the short description a bit?  60 characters or
shorter was the recommendation, IIRC.

For example:
firefox extension for customizing webpages with user scripts

Re: RFS: firefox-greasemonkey

Mike-15
Kari Pahula wrote:

> I hope you don't mind that I merged those. It's customary to retitle
>
>an RFP and set owner to yourself when changing an RFP to an ITP.
>
>BTW, could you shorten the short description a bit?  60 characters or
>shorter was the recommendation, IIRC.
>
>For example:
>firefox extension for customizing webpages with user scripts

That's fine; didn't catch that bit on the wnpp page. The package has the
description "firefox extension for user scripts." The long description
was from the ITP and was changed for the actual package.

Michael Spang wrote:

> Package name    : firefox-greasemonkey
> Version         : 0.6.4
> Upstream Author : Aaron Boodman
> URL             : http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
> License         : No restrictions
> Description     : firefox extension which enables customization of
> webpages with user scripts
>
> Greasemonkey allows users of the Firefox web browser to create or
> download
> user scripts which  modify the content or behavior of web sites. It
> provides a
> powerful way to personalize the web. The scripts are written in
> Javascript and
> have access to many of Firefox's features. A large collection of
> prewritten scripts
> can be found at userscripts.org

I posted this back in December of 2005. Are any sponsors who missed the
original interested?
The ITP is #341915 and the package is at
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/greasemonkey/

Thanks!
Michael Spang

Re: RFS: firefox-greasemonkey

Don Armstrong
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Michael Spang wrote:

> Michael Spang wrote:
>
> > Package name    : firefox-greasemonkey
> > Version         : 0.6.4
> > Upstream Author : Aaron Boodman
> > URL             : http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
> > License         : No restrictions
> > Description     : firefox extension which enables customization of
> > webpages with user scripts
> >
> > Greasemonkey allows users of the Firefox web browser to create or
> > download
> > user scripts which  modify the content or behavior of web sites. It
> > provides a
> > powerful way to personalize the web. The scripts are written in
> > Javascript and
> > have access to many of Firefox's features. A large collection of
> > prewritten scripts
> > can be found at userscripts.org
>
> I posted this back in December of 2005. Are any sponsors who missed the
> original interested?
> The ITP is #341915 and the package is at
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/greasemonkey/
I actually was looking at this earlier, so I'm interested in
sponsoring it... I'll take a look at your packages in just a bit.

Don Armstrong

--
I now know how retro SCOs OSes are. Riotous, riotous stuff. How they
had the ya-yas to declare Linux an infant OS in need of their IP is

http://www.donarmstrong.com              http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Re: RFS: firefox-greasemonkey

Don Armstrong-2
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Don Armstrong wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Michael Spang wrote:
> > Michael Spang wrote:
> >
> > > Package name    : firefox-greasemonkey
> > > Version         : 0.6.4
> > > Upstream Author : Aaron Boodman
> > > URL             : http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
> > > License         : No restrictions
> > > Description     : firefox extension which enables customization of
> > > webpages with user scripts
> > >
> > > Greasemonkey allows users of the Firefox web browser to create or
> > > download
> > > user scripts which  modify the content or behavior of web sites. It
> > > provides a
> > > powerful way to personalize the web. The scripts are written in
> > > Javascript and
> > > have access to many of Firefox's features. A large collection of
> > > prewritten scripts
> > > can be found at userscripts.org
> >
> > I posted this back in December of 2005. Are any sponsors who missed the
> > original interested?
> > The ITP is #341915 and the package is at
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/greasemonkey/
>
> I actually was looking at this earlier, so I'm interested in
> sponsoring it... I'll take a look at your packages in just a bit.
Ok, a couple of major/minor issues:

1) You're just providing the xpi file instead of building it from the
individual source packages which are present in the upstream source.
You need to write your own makefile/installer which builds the xpi
instead or installs it to the proper location.

Don't forget to include whatever is building the .xpt xpcom files too.

2) The short description should be a bit more verbose, your ITP
description is much better than the one in control.

3) You should be using debhelper 5 with appropriate compat levels.

Don Armstrong

--
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved
by brute strength and ignorance.

Don Armstrong wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Don Armstrong wrote:
>

>Ok, a couple of major/minor issues:
>
>1) You're just providing the xpi file instead of building it from the
>individual source packages which are present in the upstream source.

As far as I can see, releases are distributed only as XPInstall archives.
The upstream source is kept only in CVS, which seems suboptimal
to me. Especially since cvs seems to hang if I attempt anything other than
a checkout from this repository while using the provided guest account.
I understand that not having the idl files for the XPCOM components is a
concern with this approach. Are there any other reasons why this is a
problem?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Michael Spang wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> >1) You're just providing the xpi file instead of building it from
> >the individual source packages which are present in the upstream
> >source.
>
> As far as I can see, releases are distributed only as XPInstall
> archives. The upstream source is kept only in CVS, which seems
> suboptimal to me.

That happens quite a bit in the cases of upstreams who aren't used to
dealing with distributions, unfortunatly. I suggest you communicate
with them and request that they also distribute tarballs of the source
when they make a release.

> Especially since cvs seems to hang if I attempt anything other than
> a checkout from this repository while using the provided guest
> account.

That's fine, you can make that the orig.tar.gz

> I understand that not having the idl files for the XPCOM components
> is a concern with this approach. Are there any other reasons why
> this is a problem?

1) You can't easily patch any of the files in the xpi

2) You're not directly distributing the source

3) Upstream's build process is totally different from yours.

4) Security fixes are very, very difficult to do because of #1-3.

Don Armstrong

--
"People selling drug paraphernalia ... are as much a part of drug
trafficking as silencers are a part of criminal homicide."

Don Armstrong wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Michael Spang wrote:
>
> That's fine, you can make that the orig.tar.gz

Easier said than done ;-). The guest account apparently doesn't
have permission to check out or update to the 0.6.4 tag. I don't
think using the current HEAD is a good idea, either, since it
doesn't appear to be in a releasable state.

$ cvs status -v install.rdf
File: install.rdf       Status: Up-to-date

   Existing Tags:
        v0_6_4                          (revision: 1.25.2.13)

$ cvs update -r v0_6_4
cvs update: User 'guest' cannot access
cvs update: User 'guest' cannot access chrome
cvs update: User 'guest' cannot access chromeFiles
cvs update: User 'guest' cannot access components
cvs update: User 'guest' cannot access content
cvs update: User 'guest' cannot access idl
cvs update: User 'guest' cannot access locale
cvs update: User 'guest' cannot access perl
cvs [update aborted]: no such tag v0_6_4

>1) You can't easily patch any of the files in the xpi
>
>2) You're not directly distributing the source

The indirection caused by the XPI is indeed problematic
in some cases. Perhaps I should just extract it? The layout
of the CVS tree is identical to the one in the XPI. The repository
just has numerous empty directories. I could grab the .idl files
from the CVSWEB interface and add those so that everything is present.

>3) Upstream's build process is totally different from yours.

Well, the difference in the processes is due to a difference in
requirements. They need
only to zip everything up into an XPI, letting each Firefox handle
installation. A debian
package needs to handle the installation the extension's components to
Firefox's extension
tree since Firefox obviously cannot be used to do so. Also, I haven't
seen any evidence of
build infrastructure, so this will always be the case until that changes
(really, there are
no build scripts whatsoever in cvs). Perhaps they do everything
manually? Not that there's
much to build, since everything is in JavaScript.

>4) Security fixes are very, very difficult to do because of #1-3.

Point taken. I will see what I can do, but my options are quite limited
at the moment without help from upstream. I'll send an email to the
greasemonkey
mailing lists to see if anything can be done.

Thanks!
Michael Spang

Re: RFS: firefox-greasemonkey

Mike-15
After following the suggestion from a user of the greasemonkey
mailing lists to try checking out the v0_6 branch, I finally have
something to work with. No word yet on why I can't sync to any
of the tags. Anyway, this provides me with a source to build a new
.orig.tar.gz from, so I can begin converting. This branch actually
does have a tiny shell script to build the XPI, so I guess there was
one after all. I didn't catch it in the attic while browsing CVSWEB.

Michael Spang