RFS: hearts-0.1-1 -- The classic Hearts card game for the GNOME desktop

RFS: hearts-0.1-1 -- The classic Hearts card game for the GNOME desktop

Sander Marechal
Hello,

I am the developer of Hearts for GNOME (http://www.gnome-hearts.org) and
I just packaged the upcoming 0.1 release for Debian. I am looking for a
sponsor who is willing to check and upload the package for me.

Hearts is an implementation of the classic card game for the GNOME
desktop, featuring configurable rulesets and editable computer opponents
to satisfy widely diverging playing styles. Hearts is Free Software,
released under the GNU General Public License  and should be able to run
on any computer that can run the GNOME desktop.

Features:

* Various rulesets with configurable options
* Multiple computer opponents with differing styles of play
* Drag & drop adding of new opponents
* Easy creation and modification of opponents through Lua scripting

Known bugs and missing features:

* Undo/redo not implemented yet (the buttons are greyed out)
* I haven't tested it in pbuilder on sid yet. debootstrapping sid is
broken at the moment (see #369928). Other people have tested it with a
version of sid that was a few days older and that worked. pbuilding it
in ubuntu dapper also works correctly.

Download:

http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/hearts_0.1.orig.tar.gz
http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/hearts_0.1-1.dsc
http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/hearts_0.1-1.diff.gz
http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/hearts_0.1-1_source.build
http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/hearts_0.1-1_source.changes

Thanks in advance,

--
Sander Marechal
http://www.gnome-hearts.org

Re: RFS: hearts-0.1-1 -- The classic Hearts card game for the GNOME desktop

Eddy Petrișor
On 6/5/06, Sander Marechal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am the developer of Hearts for GNOME (http://www.gnome-hearts.org) and
> I just packaged the upcoming 0.1 release for Debian. I am looking for a
> sponsor who is willing to check and upload the package for me.

You could take care of this warning, first thing (just looked over the
build log)

"W: hearts source: newer-standards-version 3.7.2.0"

Generally that would mean just bumping the standards version, but you
should check.

> http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/hearts_0.1-1_source.build

EddyP

James Westby wrote:

> On (05/06/06 14:10), Eddy Petri??or wrote:
>> You could take care of this warning, first thing (just looked over the
>> build log)
>>
>> "W: hearts source: newer-standards-version 3.7.2.0"
>>
>> Generally that would mean just bumping the standards version, but you
>> should check.
>
> That warning is the other way round, the standards version defined in
> debian/control is newer that the latest lintian knows about. It is a
> false positive in this case, as Lintian has not been updated to
> recognise the latest version.

Yes, I have the same thing. Unfortunately I cannot update lintian or
linda. I built the source package on ubuntu dapper. Lintian/linda
ultimately depend on glibc and I get a version conflict between debian's
glibc and ubuntu's glibc if I try installing them manually.

> I would say remove
>
> DEB_TAR_SRCDIR                  := hearts-0.1
> DEB_AUTO_CLEANUP_RCS            := yes

Done.

> from debian/rules. (I think the second is unecessary). You could also
> put a statement something like
>
> The Debian packaging is (C) 2006, Sander Marechal <[hidden email]>
> and is licensed under the GPL version 2 or later, see above.
>
> in debian/copyright.

Done. The files on my website have been re-uploaded. Thanks for the
suggestions.

James Westby wrote:
> [To the rest of the list, I was one of the people that built the package
> in pbuilder and it worked fine]

Debootstrapping sid works again now dpkg 1.13.21 is in the ftp archives.
I just pbuilt hearts-0.1 successfully on sid myself.

Any other comments on the package? Anyone willing to sponsor the upload?
Thanks in advance,

--
Sander Marechal
http://www.gnome-hearts.org

Re: RFS: hearts-0.1-1 -- The classic Hearts card game for the GNOME desktop

Paul Cupis
Sander Marechal wrote:
> I am the developer of Hearts for GNOME (http://www.gnome-hearts.org) and
> I just packaged the upcoming 0.1 release for Debian. I am looking for a
> sponsor who is willing to check and upload the package for me.

I wonder if you have considered calling the source/binary packages
"gnome-hearts" instead of "hearts".

Any Gnome people have an opinion on this?

Paul Cupis wrote:
> Sander Marechal wrote:
>> I am the developer of Hearts for GNOME (http://www.gnome-hearts.org) and
>> I just packaged the upcoming 0.1 release for Debian. I am looking for a
>> sponsor who is willing to check and upload the package for me.
>
> I wonder if you have considered calling the source/binary packages
> "gnome-hearts" instead of "hearts".

I have doubting whether I should call it hearts or gnome-hearts for some
time actually. There's two reasons why I finally picked hearts.

1) I didn't wan't people to think that hearts is some kind of official
gnome project, who all seem to have their packages prefixed with gnome-

2) There is currently no package in the archives named hearts. There
exists an older hearts game for KDE [1] but it has not been actively
developed for over two years and it's not in the debian archives. (OT: I
reimplemented KDE Hearts' AI in my game and dubbed him Luis, after the
KDE Hearts developer).

> Any Gnome people have an opinion on this?
I'd like to know, is there is a package name convention for official and
unofficial gnome packages?

Anyway, I'm perfectly willing to rename the package to gnome-hearts if
that is the consensus.

[1] http://hearts.luispedro.org/

Paul Cupis wrote:

> Sander Marechal wrote:
>> Paul Cupis wrote:
>>> I wonder if you have considered calling the source/binary packages
>>> "gnome-hearts" instead of "hearts".
>> I have doubting whether I should call it hearts or gnome-hearts for some
>> time actually. There's two reasons why I finally picked hearts.
>
> Indeed, and the khearts developers was asked as a result of this very
> mailing list to change the name from hearts to khearts.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00126.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00130.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00399.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00400.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00409.html

Good points. I will change the package (and upstream as well while I'm
at it) to gnome-hearts. I'll post again when I have re-uploaded the package.

Sander Marechal wrote:
> Paul Cupis wrote:
>> Sander Marechal wrote:
 >>>

>>> I have doubting whether I should call it hearts or gnome-hearts for some
>>> time actually. There's two reasons why I finally picked hearts.
>>
>> Indeed, and the khearts developers was asked as a result of this very
>> mailing list to change the name from hearts to khearts.
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00126.html
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00130.html
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00399.html
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00400.html
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/05/msg00409.html
>
> Good points. I will change the package (and upstream as well while I'm
> at it) to gnome-hearts. I'll post again when I have re-uploaded the
> package.

I have updated the package and the upstream sources. The package name is
now gnome-hearts_0.1 and installs in the gnome-hearts directory.
Documentation, .desktop files, etcetera have all been adjusted
accordingly. The only thing I haven't adjusted is my subversion path
(I'll do that after I release gnome-hearts-0.1 when current users don't
need the old svn links anymore). Here are the new links for the debian
package:

http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1.orig.tar.gz
http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1.dsc
http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1.diff.gz
http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1_source.build
http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1_source.changes

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sander Marechal wrote:

> I have updated the package and the upstream sources. The package name is
> now gnome-hearts_0.1 and installs in the gnome-hearts directory.
> Documentation, .desktop files, etcetera have all been adjusted
> accordingly. The only thing I haven't adjusted is my subversion path
> (I'll do that after I release gnome-hearts-0.1 when current users don't
> need the old svn links anymore). Here are the new links for the debian
> package:
>
> http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1.orig.tar.gz
> http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1.dsc
> http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1.diff.gz
> http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1_source.build
> http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1_source.changes
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.

I've made an update to the man page (I forgot to change hearts in
gnome-hearts in there) and rebuilt the package. Please re-download if
you were looking at the previous version. Thanks :-)

--
Sander Marechal
http://www.gnome-hearts.org

Re: RFS: hearts-0.1-1 -- The classic Hearts card game for the GNOME desktop

Rene Engelhard

Am Montag, 5. Juni 2006 13:10 schrieb Eddy Petrişor:
> You could take care of this warning, first thing (just looked over the
> build log)
>
> "W: hearts source: newer-standards-version 3.7.2.0"
>
> Generally that would mean just bumping the standards version, but you
> should check.

It also would help if you actually read what is wriiten there. *Newer*. 2.7.2
*is* the newest one. That you actually use some older lintian that doesn't
know abouit it yet is something else, but... ;)

Regards,

Rene
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 : :' : http://www.debian.org | http://people.debian.org/~rene/
   `-   Fingerprint: 41FA F208 28D4 7CA5 19BB  7AD9 F859 90B0 248A EB73

Re: RFS: hearts-0.1-1 -- The classic Hearts card game for the GNOME desktop

Margarita Manterola
On 6/7/06, Sander Marechal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1.orig.tar.gz
> > http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1.dsc
> > http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1.diff.gz
> > http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1_source.build
> > http://www.jejik.com/files/hearts/temp/gnome-hearts_0.1-1_source.changes

Why are the (upstream) ChangeLog, NEWS and TODO files empty?

The REDME installed in /usr/share/doc/gnome-hearts/README is
irrelevant for Debian.

For the rest, it looks good.  I'd be willing to sponsor it.

--
Besos,
Marga

Re: RFS: hearts-0.1-1 -- The classic Hearts card game for the GNOME desktop

Sander Marechal
Margarita Manterola wrote:
I haven't really gotten round to writing the NEWS and TODO. I propbably
should though. They are there because the GNU autotools require them.

The ChangeLog is empty because I haven't figured out a way to fill it
yet. I am using Subversion for my upstream project. What I would like to
have is that Subversion generates a ChangeLog automatically from the log
messages attached to each commit. You wouldn't happen to know how to do
that by chance?

> The REDME installed in /usr/share/doc/gnome-hearts/README is
> irrelevant for Debian.

True.

> For the rest, it looks good.  I'd be willing to sponsor it.

Thanks for the offer :-) But I don't need sponsoring at this time.
Josselin Mouette has added me to the pkg-gnome group so I can manage my
packages on their Alioth Subversion repository and have better
integration with the other gnome packages (mainly gnome-games and it's
dependencies). He and the other DD's on pkg-gnome can sponsor my uploads.

Thanks for the offer though, and for the tips above. I'll fix them
before my first release.

--
Sander Marechal