Raspberry Pi 4 is announced

Alan Corey
Tech specs at Element14
https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-92643/l/meet-the-new-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-with-technical-specifications?CMP=e-email-ADH-e14-NA-280619-RPITechSpec-H&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTldRNE56VTJOVGxqWldabCIsInQiOiIyMllcLzZiS2FQb1NpVWt6Q2pkamNnUTVXSThMTGtISWJMZWVRXC9XQVlOWEFLa3dSMGNIMVA4VGdpWTZTRVlhN0ZZd2t5QysrVFF1Mm80WEpjQmxZVEsya0FyeVRYcTR0Z3pPN3hTMXdzY01UNnVFN0FiTW8zRTBYYzl6SjJESmhsIn0%3D

Up to 4 GB RAM, gigbit ethernet, dual micro-HDMI, dual-band wifi,
OpenGL ES 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 2 USB 3.0 ports (+ 2 USB 2.0), Broadcom 2711,
Quad-core Cortex-A72 64-bit SoC @ 1.5 GHz

Element14 doesn't have them in stock yet but the 4 GB is listed at
$55.  Sounds like a Rock64 killer

--
-------------
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced

dalek
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 2:57 PM Alan Corey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tech specs at Element14
> https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-92643/l/meet-the-new-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-with-technical-specifications?CMP=e-email-ADH-e14-NA-280619-RPITechSpec-H&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTldRNE56VTJOVGxqWldabCIsInQiOiIyMllcLzZiS2FQb1NpVWt6Q2pkamNnUTVXSThMTGtISWJMZWVRXC9XQVlOWEFLa3dSMGNIMVA4VGdpWTZTRVlhN0ZZd2t5QysrVFF1Mm80WEpjQmxZVEsya0FyeVRYcTR0Z3pPN3hTMXdzY01UNnVFN0FiTW8zRTBYYzl6SjJESmhsIn0%3D
>
> Up to 4 GB RAM, gigbit ethernet, dual micro-HDMI, dual-band wifi,
> OpenGL ES 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 2 USB 3.0 ports (+ 2 USB 2.0), Broadcom 2711,
> Quad-core Cortex-A72 64-bit SoC @ 1.5 GHz
>
> Element14 doesn't have them in stock yet but the 4 GB is listed at
> $55.  Sounds like a Rock64 killer

      I think they have been out of stock since Monday. Sold out quickly

> --
> -------------
> No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
> Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
> cluttering up nature.
> Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced

Alan Corey
No big surprise there.  Something about 1500 more on 7/4.  I got on
the list to get emailed when they get them.  Oh well, time to get
adapters ordered, and a different power supply.  Looks like they built
it to bolt a heat sink onto, there's free space around the CPU.

The real announcement page:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

On 6/28/19, Mauricio Tavares <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 2:57 PM Alan Corey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Tech specs at Element14
>> https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-92643/l/meet-the-new-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-with-technical-specifications?CMP=e-email-ADH-e14-NA-280619-RPITechSpec-H&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTldRNE56VTJOVGxqWldabCIsInQiOiIyMllcLzZiS2FQb1NpVWt6Q2pkamNnUTVXSThMTGtISWJMZWVRXC9XQVlOWEFLa3dSMGNIMVA4VGdpWTZTRVlhN0ZZd2t5QysrVFF1Mm80WEpjQmxZVEsya0FyeVRYcTR0Z3pPN3hTMXdzY01UNnVFN0FiTW8zRTBYYzl6SjJESmhsIn0%3D
>>
>> Up to 4 GB RAM, gigbit ethernet, dual micro-HDMI, dual-band wifi,
>> OpenGL ES 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 2 USB 3.0 ports (+ 2 USB 2.0), Broadcom 2711,
>> Quad-core Cortex-A72 64-bit SoC @ 1.5 GHz
>>
>> Element14 doesn't have them in stock yet but the 4 GB is listed at
>> $55.  Sounds like a Rock64 killer
>>
>       I think they have been out of stock since Monday. Sold out quickly
>
>> --
>> -------------
>> No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? -
>> AB1JX
>> Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
>> cluttering up nature.
>> Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

--
-------------
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Rick Thomas-14
So when I buy one of these in a couple of months, do I need to buy the heatsink too?  Will the heatsink fit into the standard case?  If not, is there a case that will fit?

And, finally, is there a version of Debian that will run on one of these?  Or should I just plan on running Raspbian?

Thanks!
Rick

> On Jun 28, 2019, at 12:32 PM, Alan Corey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No big surprise there.  Something about 1500 more on 7/4.  I got on
> the list to get emailed when they get them.  Oh well, time to get
> adapters ordered, and a different power supply.  Looks like they built
> it to bolt a heat sink onto, there's free space around the CPU.
>
> The real announcement page:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
>
> On 6/28/19, Mauricio Tavares <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 2:57 PM Alan Corey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tech specs at Element14
>>> https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-92643/l/meet-the-new-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-with-technical-specifications?CMP=e-email-ADH-e14-NA-280619-RPITechSpec-H&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTldRNE56VTJOVGxqWldabCIsInQiOiIyMllcLzZiS2FQb1NpVWt6Q2pkamNnUTVXSThMTGtISWJMZWVRXC9XQVlOWEFLa3dSMGNIMVA4VGdpWTZTRVlhN0ZZd2t5QysrVFF1Mm80WEpjQmxZVEsya0FyeVRYcTR0Z3pPN3hTMXdzY01UNnVFN0FiTW8zRTBYYzl6SjJESmhsIn0%3D
>>>
>>> Up to 4 GB RAM, gigbit ethernet, dual micro-HDMI, dual-band wifi,
>>> OpenGL ES 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 2 USB 3.0 ports (+ 2 USB 2.0), Broadcom 2711,
>>> Quad-core Cortex-A72 64-bit SoC @ 1.5 GHz
>>>
>>> Element14 doesn't have them in stock yet but the 4 GB is listed at
>>> $55.  Sounds like a Rock64 killer
>>>
>>      I think they have been out of stock since Monday. Sold out quickly
>>
>>> --
>>> -------------
>>> No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? -
>>> AB1JX
>>> Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
>>> cluttering up nature.
>>> Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach
>>>

> --
> -------------
> No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
> Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
> cluttering up nature.
> Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Alan Corey
Unless you're going to overclock it (which I'm not sure is possible,
probably) you don't need a heat sink.  It will throttle (reduce speed)
if it gets hot.  A heat sink keeps it from overheating so soon so it
can run at full speed longer.  If you run cpuminer (to mine Litecoin
or Bitcoin) it will overheat a Pi very quickly and slow down, even
without overclocking, because it's so CPU-intensive.  You can run less
threads to run cooler.

What I'd like to see is a massive heat sink that dwarfs the circuit
board and becomes dominant, sort of like with Pentiums, could even
have a fan.  You'd mount the heat sink then bolt the Pi to it,
probably with heat sink compound or a heat-conductive washer.  The
connectors and wires would go wherever they ended up.  There could be
such setups as aftermarket addons.

I don't like that they continue to push the power connector to its
limits instead of going to something else like a coaxial plug like the
Rock64 uses.  I'm not sure it it's still a microusb or not.  But you
can always power through the GPIO connector.

And this uses _micro_ HDMI connectors, as opposed to the Zero which
uses _mini_ or the earlier Pis which have just a regular HDMI.  So if
you have a slew of Pis and Zeros you need 2 adapters for video.

GPIO pinout at https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-92640/l/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-gpio-pinout-with-poe-header?ICID=rpimain-smartpanel-pi4doc
I'm not sure how different it is.  The Pi GPIO has gotten to be a
defacto standard that other manufacturers also use.  I see there are
still multiple 5 volt and ground pins so they can be paralleled for
more current capability.

I welcome the 4 GB of RAM the most, I use 2 swap files and get tired
of waiting for swapping and unswapping.  Hopefully the ethernet is no
longer tied to the USB.

There is a new case and power supply, at least partly for the 2
micro-HDMIs.  A Rock64 fits into a Pi case but the power connector is
different so it needs some filing.  The cases are sort of a nuisance
because the wires dominate everything and are much heavier.

On 6/28/19, Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So when I buy one of these in a couple of months, do I need to buy the
> heatsink too?  Will the heatsink fit into the standard case?  If not, is
> there a case that will fit?
>
> And, finally, is there a version of Debian that will run on one of these?
> Or should I just plan on running Raspbian?
>
> Thanks!
> Rick
>
>> On Jun 28, 2019, at 12:32 PM, Alan Corey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No big surprise there.  Something about 1500 more on 7/4.  I got on
>> the list to get emailed when they get them.  Oh well, time to get
>> adapters ordered, and a different power supply.  Looks like they built
>> it to bolt a heat sink onto, there's free space around the CPU.
>>
>> The real announcement page:
>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

>>>      I think they have been out of stock since Monday. Sold out quickly

>> --
>> -------------
>> No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? -
>> AB1JX
>> Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
>> cluttering up nature.
>> Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

--
-------------
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

andreimpopescu
On Vi, 28 iun 19, 20:54:39, Alan Corey wrote:

> What I'd like to see is a massive heat sink that dwarfs the circuit
> board and becomes dominant, sort of like with Pentiums, could even
> have a fan.  You'd mount the heat sink then bolt the Pi to it,
> probably with heat sink compound or a heat-conductive washer.  The
> connectors and wires would go wherever they ended up.  There could be
> such setups as aftermarket addons.

The ODroid N2 is built like this.

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n2-with-4gbyte-ram/

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Alan Corey
Thank you, I hadn't looked at that.  So there's Debian for it, not
just Ubuntu?  I have 3 Raspberry Pi 3s but for a higher performance
machine I have a Rock64, which isn't entirely satisfactory.  I'll poke
around Odroid's forums a little and probably order one.  It looks more
like a car stereo and in fact it even has audio DACs.  Support for the
Rock64 is mostly in Chinese, this is Korean, we'll see.

--
-------------
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Larry Dighera

Currently, the only RPi 4B case I was able to find on-line is the
official one:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-case/

Official RPi 4B dimensions are here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/mechanical/rpi_MECH_4b_4p0.pdf

Geekworm https://geekworm.com manufactures RPi cases:

  http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/Aluminum_Case-D
  https://www.newegg.com/p/287-000E-00001

https://geekworm.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/raspberry-pi-3a-a-cnc-ultra-thin-aluminum-alloy-metal-case
  http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/Armor_Case

Geekworm indicates that they will soon announce the availability of a
Raspberry Pi Aluminum Alloy Metal Armor Cooling Case with Dual Fan on
the above page:

    "Admin
    2 days ago
    Hi, Please don't worry, we are prepare to update the armor case to
    Raspberry Pi 4 version soon. Please pay attention to our site.
    Best regards,

    Cindy"

Their 3B+ case is available here:
https://geekworm.com/collections/raspberry-pi-4 .

See photographs here:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0068/8481/9002/products/Raspberry_Pi_Armor_Case-main_600x.jpg?v=1558406333

Plastic RPi 4B cases:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/262703688/3d-printed-playstation-raspberry-pi

https://www.etsy.com/listing/212989839/3d-printed-nes-nintendo-raspberry-pi

On Sb, 29 iun 19, 02:18:44, Alan Corey wrote:
> Thank you, I hadn't looked at that.  So there's Debian for it, not
> just Ubuntu?

I'm only concerned with u-boot/Linux mainline support, as I don't like
using vendor provided images.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Rick Thomas-14

> On Jun 29, 2019, at 11:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> On Sb, 29 iun 19, 02:18:44, Alan Corey wrote:
>> Thank you, I hadn't looked at that.  So there's Debian for it, not
>> just Ubuntu?
>
> I'm only concerned with u-boot/Linux mainline support, as I don't like
> using vendor provided images.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser

Understood.  And thank you for your work!

But the question remains:  Is there a Debian version that runs on the ODroid N2?
And a second question:  Is there likely to be a Debian version for the RaspberryPi 4B?

Thanks!
Rick

On Du, 30 iun 19, 00:05:01, Rick Thomas wrote:

> > On Jun 29, 2019, at 11:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > On Sb, 29 iun 19, 02:18:44, Alan Corey wrote:
> >> Thank you, I hadn't looked at that.  So there's Debian for it, not
> >> just Ubuntu?
> >
> > I'm only concerned with u-boot/Linux mainline support, as I don't like
> > using vendor provided images.
>
> But the question remains:  Is there a Debian version that runs on the ODroid N2?
> And a second question:  Is there likely to be a Debian version for the RaspberryPi 4B?
Please note I don't speak for Debian, this is just based on experience.

Debian doesn't provide versions for specific systems, only architectures
(i.e. arm64). Support for any specific system depends entirely on
adequate support in the corresponding upstream projects (u-boot, Linux,
etc.).

In some cases you can use a vendor provided u-boot and kernel with a
Debian root. Support for (accelerated) graphics might also be possible
with vendor provided libraries.

Whether this is an acceptable compromise depends a lot on your use case
(e.g. I wouldn't use such a mixture for any system connected to the
internet).

Hope this explains,
Andrei

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Reco
        Hi.

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 12:05:01AM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

> > On Jun 29, 2019, at 11:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > On Sb, 29 iun 19, 02:18:44, Alan Corey wrote:
> >> Thank you, I hadn't looked at that.  So there's Debian for it, not
> >> just Ubuntu?
> >
> > I'm only concerned with u-boot/Linux mainline support, as I don't like
> > using vendor provided images.
>
> Understood.  And thank you for your work!
>
> But the question remains:  Is there a Debian version that runs on the ODroid N2?

In a way, yes - [1].
The following restrictions apply:

1) It's not an official Debian image, and it uses non-Debian kernel.
2) You're unlikely to get any kind of security updates to said kernel.
3) Regardless of the kernel used, you're limited to fbdev if you're
running X.
4) Wayland requires kernel version 5.1 IIRC.

If you need ODroid board you probably better getting yourself ODroid
HC2. That one actually works with Debian stretch and a kernel from the
backports.

Reco

[1] https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=33865

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Andrew M.A. Cater-2
On 28/06/2019 20:50, Rick Thomas wrote:

> So when I buy one of these in a couple of months, do I need to buy the heatsink too?  Will the heatsink fit into the standard case?  If not, is there a case that will fit?
>
> And, finally, is there a version of Debian that will run on one of these?  Or should I just plan on running Raspbian?
>
> Thanks!
> Rick
>
>> On Jun 28, 2019, at 12:32 PM, Alan Corey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No big surprise there.  Something about 1500 more on 7/4.  I got on
>> the list to get emailed when they get them.  Oh well, time to get
>> adapters ordered, and a different power supply.  Looks like they built
>> it to bolt a heat sink onto, there's free space around the CPU.
>>
>> The real announcement page:
>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

>>>      I think they have been out of stock since Monday. Sold out quickly

>> --
>> -------------
>> No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
>> Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
>> cluttering up nature.
>> Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Today, it will run Raspbian. Today it won't run stock Debian - there
isn't a dtb for it yet for the kernel.

Soon, it will run stock Debian if Gunnar and co have anything to do with
it. Potentially, you can now run stock Debian Buster on everything up to
and including 3B+

Get a heatsink, it looks as if it will need it.

All best,

Andy C

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced

Larry Dighera

Get your copy of the latest MagPi issue:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/MagPi83.pdf

wrote:

>So when I buy one of these in a couple of months, do I need to buy the heatsink too?

As the RPi 4B apparently runs much hotter than previous models, you
may want to consider an aluminum case for the Raspberry Pi 4B:
https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-4-case

The top of the aluminum case is a heat sink that is coupled to the
CPU.  Available for pre-order now, currently 30% off until the product
starts shipping in late July.

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Alan Corey
I have an aluminum case, not using it lately.  I mostly use a USB wifi adapter.  If you clone a Pi SD card it ends up on the same IP address as the original.  I couldn't get it through anybody's head at raspberry pi.org that this is a problem.  USB wifi is at least different, haven't tried 2 of them.  Possibly it only happens with Raspbian, not Debian.

Sent from my Motorola XT1527

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 1:14 PM Larry Dighera <[hidden email]> wrote:

>From the information provided in this video
https://youtu.be/26OxCwEHoTk there appears to be about a 15 dB
reduction is WiFi signal strength with the FLIRC aluminum case
installed.

If WiFi signal strength is an issue, how difficult would it be to
install an external antenna (or two)?

This review provides information comparing the RPi 3b+ to the 4B:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-4-b,6193.html
It provides heat maps (attached) and CPU thermal throttling
information:

"While running a CPU-intensive workload for 10 minutes, the processor
hit 81 degrees and began throttling down from 1.5 to 1 GHz after 3
minutes. However, the system kept bringing itself back to the full 1.5
GHzas when it dipped down to around 80 degrees, but then it would get
warm again and go down to 1 GHz. If you want to have better sustained
performance under load, consider getting an active cooler for the
Raspberry Pi 4 or, at the very least, attach a passive heat sink."

Here's an alternative plastic case:
https://www.pishop.us/product/highpi-raspberry-pi-case-for-pi4/

HIGHPI CASE FEATURE LIST
High quality ABS plastic case, designed and made in Canada
Industry-leading ease of use, rapid tool-free assembly and disassembly
Large internal volume for HATs, break-out boards, or heat sinks
Vents on three sides double as fly-through cable ports
Two-section breakout on A/V side for HAT board I/O
Large vent opposite A/V side allows GPIO ribbon cable pass-through
Micro SD card access port
Mounting option 1: two M3.5/M3/#6 screws slide into wall mounts
for easy removal, horizontal orientation with A/V side down, 40mm
spacing
Mounting option 2: four M3.5/M3/#6 screws through feet from inside for
secure mounting in any orientation, 68.3 x 38.8mm spacing
Self-adhesive rubber feet included, set of 4
Matte finish hides fingerprints
DIMENSIONS
External dimensions: 97 x 66 x 41mm
Internal volume for breakout boards: 90 x 60 x 28.8mm

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 20:54:39 -0400, Alan Corey <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Unless you're going to overclock it (which I'm not sure is possible,
>probably) you don't need a heat sink.  It will throttle (reduce speed)
>if it gets hot.  A heat sink keeps it from overheating so soon so it
>can run at full speed longer.  If you run cpuminer (to mine Litecoin
>or Bitcoin) it will overheat a Pi very quickly and slow down, even
>without overclocking, because it's so CPU-intensive.  You can run less
>threads to run cooler.
>
>What I'd like to see is a massive heat sink that dwarfs the circuit
>board and becomes dominant, sort of like with Pentiums, could even
>have a fan.  You'd mount the heat sink then bolt the Pi to it,
>probably with heat sink compound or a heat-conductive washer.  The
>connectors and wires would go wherever they ended up.  There could be
>such setups as aftermarket addons.
>
>I don't like that they continue to push the power connector to its
>limits instead of going to something else like a coaxial plug like the
>Rock64 uses.  I'm not sure it it's still a microusb or not.  But you
>can always power through the GPIO connector.
>
>And this uses _micro_ HDMI connectors, as opposed to the Zero which
>uses _mini_ or the earlier Pis which have just a regular HDMI.  So if
>you have a slew of Pis and Zeros you need 2 adapters for video.
>
>GPIO pinout at https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-92640/l/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-gpio-pinout-with-poe-header?ICID=rpimain-smartpanel-pi4doc
>I'm not sure how different it is.  The Pi GPIO has gotten to be a
>defacto standard that other manufacturers also use.  I see there are
>still multiple 5 volt and ground pins so they can be paralleled for
>more current capability.
>
>I welcome the 4 GB of RAM the most, I use 2 swap files and get tired
>of waiting for swapping and unswapping.  Hopefully the ethernet is no
>longer tied to the USB.
>
>There is a new case and power supply, at least partly for the 2
>micro-HDMIs.  A Rock64 fits into a Pi case but the power connector is
>different so it needs some filing.  The cases are sort of a nuisance
>because the wires dominate everything and are much heavier.
>

>On 6/28/19, Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So when I buy one of these in a couple of months, do I need to buy the
>> heatsink too?  Will the heatsink fit into the standard case?  If not, is
>> there a case that will fit?
>>
>> And, finally, is there a version of Debian that will run on one of these?
>> Or should I just plan on running Raspbian?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Rick

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Lennart Sorensen
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 01:50:02PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> So when I buy one of these in a couple of months, do I need to buy the heatsink too?  Will the heatsink fit into the standard case?  If not, is there a case that will fit?
>
> And, finally, is there a version of Debian that will run on one of these?  Or should I just plan on running Raspbian?

Debian almost certainly won't run.  I don't even see RPi4 support in the
linux kernel upstream yet, so Raspbian is using a patched kernel to make
it work I suspect.  Debian won't patch in support for anything that
isn't already supported upstream in the kernel.

So for now, most likely Raspbian is the only thing that will run easily
on the RPi4.

Len Sorensen

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 08:54:39PM -0400, Alan Corey wrote:
> I welcome the 4 GB of RAM the most, I use 2 swap files and get tired
> of waiting for swapping and unswapping.  Hopefully the ethernet is no
> longer tied to the USB.

I suspect it is, but since there is now USB3 at least gigabit ethernet
can actually be done.  But looking at the specs my guess appears wrong.
It claims ethernet is on the SoC and that USB 3 is done through a PCIe
link.  Only 4Gbps total for the USB ports, so certainly won't do true
USB 3 speeds but probably good enough for most uses.

Len Sorensen

Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Stefan Monnier
> Debian almost certainly won't run.

For some definition of "won't run", but you can most likely get a plain
standard Debian to work using a non-Debian kernel.

        Stefan