Re: Bug#905793: Why does the Installer formats given swap

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#905793: Why does the Installer formats given swap

Herbert Kaminski
Am Thu, 9 Aug 2018 14:14:15 -0400
schrieb [hidden email] (Lennart Sorensen):

> [...]
> Well 99.9% of installs don't have another linux on the system,
       ^^^^^
Interesting. How did you get that figure?

Regards,
  Herbert

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#905793: Why does the Installer formats given swap

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 08/10/2018 10:08 AM, Herbert Kaminski wrote:
> Am Thu, 9 Aug 2018 14:14:15 -0400
> schrieb [hidden email] (Lennart Sorensen):
>
>> [...]
>> Well 99.9% of installs don't have another linux on the system,
>        ^^^^^
> Interesting. How did you get that figure?

It's most certainly a hyperbole, but I think it's not too far fetched
to assume that the number of users who are installing multiple Linux
distributions in parallel on the same machine is rather negligible.

So, I'm not sure whether that's a usecase worth supporting given
the fact that there are also potential issues you can run into
when sharing a swap partition among multiple Linux distributions
on the same disk.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#905793: Why does the Installer formats given swap

Lennart Sorensen
In reply to this post by Herbert Kaminski
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:08:52AM +0200, Herbert Kaminski wrote:
> Am Thu, 9 Aug 2018 14:14:15 -0400
> schrieb [hidden email] (Lennart Sorensen):
>
> > [...]
> > Well 99.9% of installs don't have another linux on the system,
>        ^^^^^
> Interesting. How did you get that figure?

Totally made it up. :)

I suspect I guessed low in fact.

--
Len Sorensen

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#905793: Why does the Installer formats given swap

Herbert Kaminski
Am Fri, 10 Aug 2018 11:00:31 -0400
schrieb [hidden email] (Lennart Sorensen):

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:08:52AM +0200, Herbert Kaminski wrote:
> > Am Thu, 9 Aug 2018 14:14:15 -0400
> > schrieb [hidden email] (Lennart Sorensen):
> >  
> > > [...]
> > > Well 99.9% of installs don't have another linux on the system,  
> >        ^^^^^
> > Interesting. How did you get that figure?  
>
> Totally made it up. :)

OK, so I assume there is no feedback about who installed what and how
and when and where ;-)

Why I care at all: In the past, I used to test the Debian installer on
my main computer as it was the only one with up to date hardware, and I
had on it my working OS and a spare installation, and one or two DI
test installations. I found it quite annoying that after each test
the UUID of the swap changed, so I stopped testing DI.

BTW the 5 people in the world having more than one installation on the
same machine presumably know well how to avoid the potential problems of
shared swap.

Regards
  Herbert

--

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#905793: Why does the Installer formats given swap

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 08/11/2018 01:56 AM, Herbert Kaminski wrote:
> Why I care at all: In the past, I used to test the Debian installer on
> my main computer as it was the only one with up to date hardware, and I
> had on it my working OS and a spare installation, and one or two DI
> test installations. I found it quite annoying that after each test
> the UUID of the swap changed, so I stopped testing DI.

What's wrong with using a virtual machine for that? Why test d-i
on real hardware? On a VM, you'd just throw away the image afterwards.

> BTW the 5 people in the world having more than one installation on the
> same machine presumably know well how to avoid the potential problems of
> shared swap.

That's fine. But software has to adjust for the needs of 99.99% of its
users and not to 5 people who have an exotic usecase.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913