Re: First time Debian unstable "sid" (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion

Re: First time Debian unstable "sid" (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion

Fadi Osman
Hi All,

I suppose you're both talking about sid - and not stretch...

Anyway, Carlos, I have good news for you - pbbuttonsd should work now (PowerBook hotkeys including CD eject + ambient light + normally wake up from sleep).

I have already described the quick fix in a post a few minutes ago, but here is a quick summary:

- install back pbbuttonsd if you had removed it. (sudo apt-get install pbbuttonsd)
==> the thing is, this might turn your screen dark again. So you'll need to do some typing in the dark to restart it (to restart in nomodeset)
==> or you can try these commands (in the dark):
==> sudo service pbbuttonsd --full-restart
==> bbcmd config TAG_LCDBRIGHTNESS 90
- uncomment LCD_Brightness=90 in /etc/pbbuttonsd.cnf
- set pbbuttonsd to start after lightdm by modifying /etc/init.d/pbbuttonsd and adding "lightdm" to the end of the "Required-Start:".
I have also commented out "LCD_FadingSpeed=448" in /etc/pbbuttonsd.cnf - but this is more a question of personal preference.

Richard, you can fix the crazy dimming issue by setting LCD_AutoAdjust=off (maybe you have an issue with your ambient light sensor).

About docky - it uses mono - so be careful about it - it might take up some resources - and might break.

Why don't you use a Panel instead? ( you can set it to auto minimize). This won't be as nice as docky - but will be (much) faster.
To do that, right-click on the Panel - and select "Create New Panel", then you can add items in it.

And yes, If you install different desktops you can switch using the login screen - you should have an icon somewhere to let you choose.

Enjoy your PowerBooks with Debian!

Best Regards,
Fadi.

 Objet: Re: First time Debian stretch  (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion
 À: "Carlos" <[hidden email]>, "PowerPC List Debian" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Dimanche 21 mai 2017, 20h51

 Hei Carlos, guys, Fadi, all,

 super that you installed so
 well + made lot of experience.
 i think you
 can install synapse as dock, or docky , if available;
 for sound , probably you would need to
 blacklist (eg. outcommenting)
 all lines in
 /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local.conf
 and
 snd-powermac if it is still in /etc/modules

 me too made some experience
 today on powerbook g4 with radeon graphics
 went from debian squeeze (no 3d ) to stretch -
 a bit too big of an upgrade
 went from
 lubuntu precise (no 3d aceeleration, no sound, pretty
 stable)
 to  lubuntu trusty tahr (no 3d, no
 sound, had to pass Linux
 video=radeonfb:1024x768-32 at yaboot to get to
 desktop)
 to lubuntu xenial aka stretch? (3d
 available, no sound > cleared with
 the
 solution above, but the dimming plays crazy, so after some
 time the
 computer would totally dim down ;
 my keyboard layout is german mac
 nodeadkeys, so probably with another layout the
 keys might work and the
 dimming would not
 occur? --

 for making the
 @sign for email etc. i had to pass this option for german

 keyboard

 1.create file inside userdirectory

     ~/.Xmodmap

 2. pass this into the file

 clear Mod4
 keycode 134 = ISO_Level3_Shift
 add Mod4 = Super_L

 3. activate ~/.Xmodmap by typing

     xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

 4. this would remap the Right
 Command key (apple key) to act as AltGr

     The
 "@" is on the "G" key. Under OSX, we
 print it using ALT+g

 actually then Right AppleKey + G would finally
 bring "@"

 I am not fully satisfied with result from
 Lubuntu so i will try with
 Debian anew,
 possibly.

 Cheers,
 Richard

 Am 21.05.17 19:24, schrieb
 Carlos:
 > Hello guys,
 >
 > I installed Debian
 stretch successfully.

 > Now I have a couple of question.
 >
 > To install Debian
 wasn't a problem. First I tried to install it from a USB
 key. Don't work. I think it’s a OpenFirmware issue,
 because in OF, the key wasn't shown.

 > At startup, I always
 have to press RETURN to start booting.

 What have I got to do, to boot in Linux automatically?

 > I installed Debain
 three times with three different desktop environments:
 > 1. Xfce
 > 2. LXDE
 > 3. MATE
 >
 > On Xfce
 > + A dock is
 available out of the box
 > + You can
 search all applications
 > - trackpad
 movment is stuttering like hell (e. g. if you are holding
 alt on MacOS X bootup to select startup volume -> if you
 there trying to use the trackpad, it feels exactly the
 same)
 > - A clock & date system
 preference isn't available

 > On LXDE
 > + clock &
 date system preference is available
 > +
 trackpad movment is a little bit better as under Xfce
 > - a dock isn't available
 > - you can't search all applications
 >
 > On MATE:
 > + clock & date system preference is
 available
 > - a dock isn't
 available
 > - you can't search all
 applications
 > - trackpad movement is
 hyper-sensitive, very nervous

 > I have set the CPU to power-saving.
 Because yesterday the fan was on full speed, then the
 PowerBook shuts down. Then I have installed pSensor to look
 at the temperatures. But it seems there is only a sensor for
 the HDD? Funny thing, today the HDD sensor is gone, not
 shown ...

 > It's
 a pleasrue to use Synaptic. And it also wasn't a problem
 to install the wireless driver. But instead of vi, I have
 used gedit. Because it's easier to use for me. And about
 the PowerPC Wiki from Fadi. I haven't copied the lines,
 I only put contrib behind main.

 > The brightness keys for the display
 don't work. Sound also not working.

 Any ideas how to fix this?

 > Wake up from sleep also don’t work.
 >
 > There should also be
 a mate-cpufreq-applet to switch between the different CPU
 settings.
 > Any ideas where I could find
 this applet?

 > And
 on MATE, on the top right, the clock, there is also a
 temperature symbol.
 > Is it possible to
 add more cities? Because my city isn't in that list.

 > Is it possible to
 install different desktop environments?

 If yes, how to switch between the different environments
 then?

 > About
 searching for applications:
 > At the
 moment I pick a MacApp and search on http://alternativeto.net/ for an
 alternative.
 > Is there a better way to
 search for applications?

 > On Evolution to configure mail: At the
 moment it’s not going to work … I don’t know why.

 > Thanks in advance
 > Carlos

Re: First time Debian unstable "sid" (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion

Fadi Osman
Oh.

My mistake - just tested it - cannot wake up from suspend (sleep) induced using Logout => Suspend.

I'll try to investigate.

 Objet: Re: First time Debian unstable "sid" (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion
 À: "Carlos" <[hidden email]>, "PowerPC List Debian" <[hidden email]>, "Richard Kuenz" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Jeudi 25 mai 2017, 18h37

 Hi All,

[...]

 a écrit :

  Objet: Re: First time Debian
 stretch  (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion
  À: "Carlos" <[hidden email]>,
 "PowerPC List Debian" <[hidden email]>
  Date: Dimanche 21 mai 2017, 20h51

  Hei Carlos, guys, Fadi, all,

  super that you installed so
> [...]

  available out of the box
  > + You can
  search all applications
  > - trackpad
  movment is stuttering like hell (e. g.
 if you are holding
  alt on MacOS X bootup to select
 startup volume -> if you
  there trying to use the trackpad, it
 feels exactly the
  same)
  > - A clock & date system
  preference isn't available

  > On LXDE
  > + clock &
  date system preference is available
  > +
  trackpad movment is a little bit
 better as under Xfce
  > - a dock isn't available
  > - you can't search all
 applications

  > On MATE:
  > + clock & date system
 preference is
  available
  > - a dock isn't
  available
  > - you can't search all
  applications
  > - trackpad movement is
  hyper-sensitive, very nervous

  > I have set the CPU to
 power-saving.
  Because yesterday the fan was on full
 speed, then the
  PowerBook shuts down. Then I have
 installed pSensor to look
  at the temperatures. But it seems
 there is only a sensor for
  the HDD? Funny thing, today the HDD
 sensor is gone, not
  shown ...

  > It's
  a pleasrue to use Synaptic. And it
 also wasn't a problem
  to install the wireless driver. But
 instead of vi, I have
  used gedit. Because it's easier to use
 for me. And about
  the PowerPC Wiki from Fadi. I haven't
 copied the lines,
  I only put contrib behind main.

  > The brightness keys for the
 display
  don't work. Sound also not working.

  Any ideas how to fix this?

  > Wake up from sleep also don’t
 work.

  > There should also be
  a mate-cpufreq-applet to switch
 between the different CPU
  settings.
  > Any ideas where I could find
  this applet?

  > And
  on MATE, on the top right, the clock,
 there is also a
  temperature symbol.
  > Is it possible to
  add more cities? Because my city isn't
 in that list.

  > Is it possible to
  install different desktop
 environments?

  If yes, how to switch between the
 different environments
  then?

  > About
  searching for applications:
  > At the
  moment I pick a MacApp and search on
 http://alternativeto.net/ for an
  alternative.
  > Is there a better way to
  search for applications?

  > On Evolution to configure mail:
 At the
  moment it’s not going to work … I
 don’t know why.

  > Thanks in advance
  > Carlos

Re: First time Debian unstable "sid" (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 05/25/2017 06:37 PM, Fadi Osman wrote:
> I suppose you're both talking about sid - and not stretch...

There is no Debian Stretch for powerpc (anymore). It's limited
to Debian sid (unstable) now for the foreseeable future.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: First time Debian unstable "sid" (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion

richard kuenz-3
ok,
i found a dvd here labeled "pppc64-el stretch (powerpc)" sure  i must
have made some error

labeling
but on imac g5

i cannot boot this as i am used to by typing in open firwmare

boot cd:,(backslash)install(backslash)yaboot

On 05/27/2017 12:54 PM, Richard Kuenz wrote:
> i found a dvd here labeled "pppc64-el stretch (powerpc)" sure  i must have made some error
>
> labeling
> but on imac g5
>
> i cannot boot this as i am used to by typing in open firwmare

That's because that image is for PPC64 Little Endian while your PowerMac G5
is PPC64 Big Endian. It's also a much older architecture. Debian's ppc64el
port is POWER8 while your PowerMac G5 ppc64 is POWER5.

This will never work.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz