Re: Gnome 2.12

Gabor Gombas
On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:58:25AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Now why not give it a try instead of complaining? The new branding stuff
> in GNOME 2.12 was uploaded 3 weeks ago.

... and the new splash image in gnome-session 2.12.0-1 looks _awful_ on
my default desktop background. Unfortunately there is no setting to
replace the splash image as a regular user other than disabling the
splash sceen completely.

Gabor

Re: Gnome 2.12

Josselin Mouette
Le jeudi 03 novembre 2005 à 14:11 +0100, Gabor Gombas a écrit :
> ... and the new splash image in gnome-session 2.12.0-1 looks _awful_ on
> my default desktop background.

The default background was replaced as well.

> Unfortunately there is no setting to
> replace the splash image as a regular user other than disabling the
> splash sceen completely.

Just edit the /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image gconf key.

 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
`. `'                        [hidden email]
   `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

Re: Gnome 2.12

Gabor Gombas
On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 02:29:35PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> The default background was replaced as well.

Sorry, I'm quite happy with the background image I've been using for
some years now and I definitely do not want to replace it.

> Just edit the /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image gconf key.

I don't consider directly editing gconf a "user setting". But that is
a general problem with GNOME.

Gabor

Re: Gnome 2.12

Josselin Mouette
Le jeudi 03 novembre 2005 à 14:48 +0100, Gabor Gombas a écrit :
> > The default background was replaced as well.
>
> Sorry, I'm quite happy with the background image I've been using for
> some years now and I definitely do not want to replace it.

It's not possible to have a splash screen that looks nice with every
background image. However the debblue background (which was still the
default) doesn't go well with the new splash, that's why they were
changed together.

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 02:56:01PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> It's not possible to have a splash screen that looks nice with every
> background image. However the debblue background (which was still the
> default) doesn't go well with the new splash, that's why they were
> changed together.

It would be nice if the splash screen could be made at least
theme-dependent. Then users of dark themes would not be shocked by the
splash sceen becoming light.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences,
     Laboratory of Parallel and Distributed Systems
     Address   : H-1132 Budapest Victor Hugo u. 18-22. Hungary
     Phone/Fax : +36 1 329-78-64 (secretary)
     W3        : http://www.lpds.sztaki.hu

Re: Gnome 2.12

Andrea Vettorello
On 11/3/05, Gabor Gombas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:58:25AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>
> > Now why not give it a try instead of complaining? The new branding stuff
> > in GNOME 2.12 was uploaded 3 weeks ago.
>
> ... and the new splash image in gnome-session 2.12.0-1 looks _awful_ on
> my default desktop background. Unfortunately there is no setting to
> replace the splash image as a regular user other than disabling the
> splash sceen completely.

I've found at least one package in Debian (gnome-splashscreen-manager,
home page: http://www.miketech.net/gnome-art/) that permit an user to
easily change the splash screen, and i'm sure there was another
(http://gtweakui.sourceforge.net/) that could be used...

Andrea

Re: Gnome 2.12

Sven Arvidsson
Gabor Gombas wrote:
> > Just edit the /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image gconf key.
>
> I don't consider directly editing gconf a "user setting". But that is
> a general problem with GNOME.

The user friendly way to change the splash screen (and other
gconf-only settings) would be to install gTweakUI and change it from
there.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/gtweakui

Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 760BDD22

Re: Gnome 2.12

Paul Wise-2
On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 10:58 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Now why not give it a try

I would, but there are some dependency issues.

> The new branding stuff in GNOME 2.12 was uploaded 3 weeks ago.

Excellent, sorry to not check it out before suggesting. I took a look at
the sng and I really like the way the debian swirl has been integrated
into the splash screen.

--
bye,
pabs