Re: ITP: gnome-orca -- Scriptable screen reader

Re: ITP: gnome-orca -- Scriptable screen reader

Loïc Minier-3
 (Cc:ing debian-gtk-gnome)

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007, Mario Lang wrote:

> Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> writes:
> >  I've imported and tagged the unstable version instead; you can commit
> >  whatever changes you had on mentors on top of that.
> >
> >  @Mario: do you want to continue sponsoring, I need to add you to
> >  pkg-gnome as well so that you can tag uploads; do you want to?
>
> First of all, sorry for ignoring this issue for so long, but now,
> time permits me to do more work on GNOME accessibility stuff
> again, and now that I've looked and seen I already have an alioth
> account (mlang) that still works, I'd be interested in
> co-maintaining gnome-orca.  Since I will be using orca on a daily
> basis, I think it would only make sense to have the ability
> to address problems directly, rather then having to go via
> the BTS.  Could you add me to the alioth
> users group that is required for orca and give me a very quick
> primer on how to checkout and behave in the svn managed team
> appropriately?  I am pretty new to the GNOME team per se.

 I've added you to pkg-gnome so that you can work on gnome-orca;
 welcome!

 We should have more documentation on simple rules we follow in
 pkg-gnome, but the working process is based on quite standard
 svn-buildpackage usage, in mergeWithUpstream mode.  Basically, "svn co"
 to retrieve a working copy of the package dir at:
    svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-gnome/desktop/unstable/gnome-orca
 "svn-buildpackage" to build it, "svn-buildpackage --svn-tag-only" to
 tag the committed revision when you've done the final build.

 Subscribe to the pkg-gnome-maintainers@ list on alioth if you want to
 get all PTS for all packages, and to -commits for the commits.

 There are a lot of people on #gnome-debian on GIMPNet (irc.gimp.org) to
 help with uncommon tasks or to answer questions (me included).

 If you want to prepare gnome-orca 2.19, you do not need to wait for the
 API freeze as it doesn't export an API (AFAIK), so you can start by "svn
 cp"ing desktop/unstable/gnome-orca right now to desktop/experimental,
 but make sure you don't forget to commit fixes to both branches.  When
 the time comes, you will "svn mv" the experimental branch to unstable.
 You can use the "check-dist" makefile to avoid erroneous uploads to
 unstable of the experimental branch.

   Good luck,

--
Loïc Minier

Re: ITP: gnome-orca -- Scriptable screen reader

Mario Lang-2
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> writes:

>  (Cc:ing debian-gtk-gnome)
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007, Mario Lang wrote:
>> Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> writes:
>> >  I've imported and tagged the unstable version instead; you can commit
>> >  whatever changes you had on mentors on top of that.
>> >
>> >  @Mario: do you want to continue sponsoring, I need to add you to
>> >  pkg-gnome as well so that you can tag uploads; do you want to?
>>
>> First of all, sorry for ignoring this issue for so long, but now,
>> time permits me to do more work on GNOME accessibility stuff
>> again, and now that I've looked and seen I already have an alioth
>> account (mlang) that still works, I'd be interested in
>> co-maintaining gnome-orca.  Since I will be using orca on a daily
>> basis, I think it would only make sense to have the ability
>> to address problems directly, rather then having to go via
>> the BTS.  Could you add me to the alioth
>> users group that is required for orca and give me a very quick
>> primer on how to checkout and behave in the svn managed team
>> appropriately?  I am pretty new to the GNOME team per se.
>
>  I've added you to pkg-gnome so that you can work on gnome-orca;
>  welcome!

Thanks a lot!  I've just given this a spin, and was up and
running pretty fast.

>  We should have more documentation on simple rules we follow in
>  pkg-gnome, but the working process is based on quite standard
>  svn-buildpackage usage, in mergeWithUpstream mode.  Basically, "svn co"
>  to retrieve a working copy of the package dir at:
>     svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-gnome/desktop/unstable/gnome-orca
>  "svn-buildpackage" to build it, "svn-buildpackage --svn-tag-only" to
>  tag the committed revision when you've done the final build.

I also had to retrieve the orig tarball, but now that I've got the
hang of this, it feels pretty simple.

>  If you want to prepare gnome-orca 2.19, you do not need to wait for the
>  API freeze as it doesn't export an API (AFAIK),

Right, Orca is actually sort of an end-user app, only using
many APIs but not exporting any (yet).

>  so you can start by "svn cp"ing desktop/unstable/gnome-orca right
>  now to desktop/experimental, but make sure you don't forget to
>  commit fixes to both branches.

That sounds even better.  Thanks again for the quick introduction.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger [hidden email]
   `-      <URL:http://delysid.org/>  <URL:http://www.staff.tugraz.at/mlang/>

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007, Mario Lang wrote:
> I also had to retrieve the orig tarball, but now that I've got the
> hang of this, it feels pretty simple.

 If you feel like it, you can add gnopernicus and gnome-speech to
 pkg-gnome (since these are gnome.org modules), so that the team can act
 as primary fallback if you're VAC.  I don't use these modules though,
 so I don't expect to work on them a lot, but I suppose I would
 transition them along of the rest of pkg-gnome would anything need to
 be changed globally.

--
Loïc Minier

Re: ITP: gnome-orca -- Scriptable screen reader

Mario Lang-2
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007, Mario Lang wrote:
>> I also had to retrieve the orig tarball, but now that I've got the
>> hang of this, it feels pretty simple.
>
>  If you feel like it, you can add gnopernicus and gnome-speech to
>  pkg-gnome (since these are gnome.org modules), so that the team can act
>  as primary fallback if you're VAC.

In fact, that is exactly what I was currently thinking.

svn-inject seems to claim the mode I'd guess is right for pkg-gnome
is not implemented yet (2).  Since I haven't played with svn-inject yet and I
dont want to try it out the first time on the pkg-gnome repo,
could you either tell me how this is supposed to be done or
just go ahead and check in the versions of gnopernicus and gnome-speech
From unstable?