Re: ITS: pssh

Sandro Tosi-6
On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 06:24:13 -0700 Mo Zhou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Source: pssh
> Version: 2.3.1-1
>
> I plan to salvage pssh and fix at least the following bug:

Not sure if Mo is still interested in salvaging this package, other
wise this could be a nice project for someone willing to improve their
packaging skills. this would translate to:

* bring it under PAPT maintenance
* update to the latest upstream release (check #891340 or even
https://github.com/ParallelSSH/parallel-ssh ?)
* drop python2 support, add python3 support
* upload to debian.

Regards,
Sandro

Re: ITS: pssh

Hilmar Preuße
Am 14.03.2020 um 01:29 teilte Sandro Tosi mit:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 06:24:13 -0700 Mo Zhou <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I plan to salvage pssh and fix at least the following bug:
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891340
>
> Not sure if Mo is still interested in salvaging this package, other
> wise this could be a nice project for someone willing to improve their
> packaging skills. this would translate to:
>
> * bring it under PAPT maintenance

Is there more to do than creating a source package, adding a new package
below the PAPT group and import the source package into it?

> * update to the latest upstream release (check #891340 or even
> https://github.com/ParallelSSH/parallel-ssh ?)

Yes one has to do that.

> * drop python2 support, add python3 support

Has been done in upstream in one of the later commits.

> * upload to debian.

Well, probably. I'd need a sponsor for initial upload as I'm just a DM.

H.
--
sigfault
#206401 http://counter.li.org

Re: ITS: pssh

Mo Zhou
Hi Sandro,

I've lost interest in pssh. At that time I was investigating a couple
of parallel SSH solutions, and I eventually chose ansible.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 08:29:04PM -0400, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 06:24:13 -0700 Mo Zhou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Source: pssh
> > Version: 2.3.1-1
> >
> > I plan to salvage pssh and fix at least the following bug:
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891340
>
> Not sure if Mo is still interested in salvaging this package, other
> wise this could be a nice project for someone willing to improve their
> packaging skills. this would translate to:
>
> * bring it under PAPT maintenance
> * update to the latest upstream release (check #891340 or even
> https://github.com/ParallelSSH/parallel-ssh ?)
> * drop python2 support, add python3 support
> * upload to debian.
>
> Regards,
> Sandro

Re: ITS: pssh

Jochen Sprickerhof-5
Hi Hilmar,

* Hilmar Preuße <[hidden email]> [2020-03-14 08:26]:
>Am 14.03.2020 um 01:29 teilte Sandro Tosi mit:
>> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 06:24:13 -0700 Mo Zhou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * bring it under PAPT maintenance
>>
>Is there more to do than creating a source package, adding a new package
>below the PAPT group and import the source package into it?

I did a:

$ gbp import-dscs --pristine-tar --debsnap pssh

and pushed it here:

https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/applications/pssh

>> * update to the latest upstream release (check #891340 or even
>> https://github.com/ParallelSSH/parallel-ssh ?)
>>
>Yes one has to do that.

parallel-ssh seems to be a Python library and different code base, so I
would rather go with the Github fork mentioned in #891340. But there are
no new releases, so it's probably easiest to pull in the patches via
debian/patches. There is a discussion to make it upstream, so I would
propose to ask for a release after that is cleared:

https://github.com/lilydjwg/pssh/issues/110#issuecomment-580609871

>> * upload to debian.
>>
>Well, probably. I'd need a sponsor for initial upload as I'm just a DM.

I'm happy to sponsor and help maintain as well.

Do you have time later today or tomorrow to work on it together?
Otherwise I will go ahead and do some cleanup. My hope would be to get a
fixed version into unstable by the end of the weekend.

Cheers Jochen

Re: #930780 ITS: pssh

Hilmar Preuße
Am 04.04.2020 um 09:46 teilte Jochen Sprickerhof mit:

Hi Jochen,

Sorry, late response!

>>> * update to the latest upstream release (check #891340 or even
>>> https://github.com/ParallelSSH/parallel-ssh ?)
>>>
>> Yes one has to do that.
>
> parallel-ssh seems to be a Python library and different code base, so I
> would rather go with the Github fork mentioned in #891340. But there are
> no new releases, so it's probably easiest to pull in the patches via
> debian/patches. There is a discussion to make it upstream, so I would
> propose to ask for a release after that is cleared:
>
> https://github.com/lilydjwg/pssh/issues/110#issuecomment-580609871
>
>>> * upload to debian.
>>>
>> Well, probably. I'd need a sponsor for initial upload as I'm just a DM.
>
> I'm happy to sponsor and help maintain as well.
>
> Do you have time later today or tomorrow to work on it together?
> Otherwise I will go ahead and do some cleanup. My hope would be to get a
> fixed version into unstable by the end of the weekend.

So, you did all the work already I was expected to do. Many thanks!

I'll try to continue working.

Hilmar