Re: Please reschedule libgnomesu 0.9.5-3 on ARM

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please reschedule libgnomesu 0.9.5-3 on ARM

Andreas Metzler
On 2006-08-10 Steve Langasek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 08:05:22PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> libgnomesu 0.9.5-3 initialy FTBFS to temporary uninstallable
>> build-depends and when vorlon re-scheduled on july 31st it suffered
>> the same fate as the directfb transition temporarily wreaked havoc.

>> Please rerescedule it. Thanks.

> Done.

Hello,
Thanks. It failed again. :-(

This time due to a libbonoboui upload, which features

Package: libbonoboui2-0
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, libbonoboui2-common (= ${source:Version})

and therefore makes the whole thing uninstallable on all
not yet built architectures on every upload.

Dear gnome-maintainers I think I cannot do this. I have now seen
libgnomesu FTBFS on arm three times in row during two months due to
some temporary breakage. Could you please advise me what I can do to
get libgnomesu built on ARM?

Could you perhaps give me a thumbs up "Gnome development will
probably be installable on ARM from X-Y", so I can stop waisting (not
only my) time?

thanks, cu andreas
PS: Mail-Followup-To set to [hidden email], as
-release is not a discussion list. I'll read d-g-g via gmane.
PPS: If this message is unfriendly or looks like flame bait please be
aware that this was not done on purpose. I have simply no clue to
successfully solve the issue by myself and need your help.
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute
tacit approval by the author or the publisher for any such projects,
howsoever undertaken.                                (c) Jasper Ffforde


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please reschedule libgnomesu 0.9.5-3 on ARM

Loïc Minier
        Hi,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> and therefore makes the whole thing uninstallable on all
> not yet built architectures on every upload.

 Ah you too find it depressing?

> Dear gnome-maintainers I think I cannot do this. I have now seen
> libgnomesu FTBFS on arm three times in row during two months due to
> some temporary breakage. Could you please advise me what I can do to
> get libgnomesu built on ARM?

 This is not a problem of the GNOME maintainers, it happens with all
 arch: all / arch: any combo.

 The real problem is in the archive software which does not keep all
 versions of arch: all packages still referenced by some binary package.

 Take for example xulrunner, it is very hard to build, and even if an
 older version of libxul-dev / libxul0d would be acceptable to build
 other packages, this is not possible because the older version of
 libxul-dev (arch: all, 3.5 MB) isn't available so libxul0d MUST be
 rebuilt before anything else can be built (gnome-panel, totem,
 evolution-*, epiphany-browser, devhelp, galeon, gnome-python-extras,
 yelp...) and with time the full GNOME stack is missing.

 Last successful build on arm was on:
 1.8.0.1-11 (arm) (latest build at May 21 12:04: maybe-successful
 Next xulrunner upload was on:
 [2006-06-15] Accepted 1.8.0.4-1 in unstable (high) (Mike Hommey)
 It failed on the buildds, so Mike requested a build:
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2006/06/msg00067.html
 It was built manually by someone and installed the 3rd of july (18 days
 uninstallable).
 Next upload of xulrunner was on:
 [2006-07-08] Accepted 1.8.0.4-2 in unstable (low) (Mike Hommey)
 And xulrunner never built since then, nor was manually built (1 month
 uninstallable).

> Could you perhaps give me a thumbs up "Gnome development will
> probably be installable on ARM from X-Y", so I can stop waisting (not
> only my) time?

 No.  If you're a Debian Developper, you can build stuff yourself and
 bin NMU it to Debian.  I'm not sure the arm buildd admins would like
 it, but you might help unlock some problems.
   You can also build stuff which failed to build manually on your side
 and install it in your private repository.
   You can of course track only stable or testing, and you should see
 less holes in dependencies.
   Finally, you can help fixing the root build failures by providing
 patches or diagnosing them.

 All of this has nothing to do with GNOME.  It's not specific to arm
 either, but I guess it is exacerbated under ARM probably because of
 slower buildds, lack of porters and buildd admins time.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please reschedule libgnomesu 0.9.5-3 on ARM

Andreas Metzler
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> and therefore makes the whole thing uninstallable on all
>> not yet built architectures on every upload.

> Ah you too find it depressing?

;-)

>> Dear gnome-maintainers I think I cannot do this. I have now seen
>> libgnomesu FTBFS on arm three times in row during two months due to
>> some temporary breakage. Could you please advise me what I can do to
>> get libgnomesu built on ARM?

> This is not a problem of the GNOME maintainers, it happens with all
> arch: all / arch: any combo.

I did not intend to blame this on the Gnome maintainers, I just hoped
you were accustomed to the problem and could give a hint.

> The real problem is in the archive software which does not keep all
> versions of arch: all packages still referenced by some binary package.

Iirc I read something about the fact that this might change. (or did it
only talk about keeping library versions in testing?)

On a sidenote: Is the strict dependency in libbonoboui really needed?
Would something like
- Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, libbonoboui2-common (= ${source:Version})
+ Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, libbonoboui2-common (<= ${source:Version}),  libbonoboui2-common (<< ${source:Upstream-Version}-z)

work? Just asking, I do not know how tight the connection is.

[more pain snipped]
> No.  If you're a Debian Developper, you can build stuff yourself and
> bin NMU it to Debian.  I'm not sure the arm buildd admins would like
> it, but you might help unlock some problems.
[...]

I probably would, if I had an ARM machine. However I don't and do not think
asking debian-admin to install the b-d is going to help, as they are
uninstallable.

Thanks for your comments, cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute
tacit approval by the author or the publisher for any such projects,
howsoever undertaken.                                (c) Jasper Ffforde


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]