Re: Potential Ham Radio Debian Blend

Iain R. Learmonth-2
Hi Greg,

(CCing the list to keep everyone up to date)

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 08:46:01PM +0000, KI7MT wrote:
> I was discussing Debian packaging with Kamal, and the subject of Debian
> Blends came up as a potential for Ham Radio. He said you had made
> equerries regarding something similar.

Yes. It is my goal to have at least the infrastructure in place for a Ham
Radio blend, if not a release, by jessie+1. This would include putting
together metapackages and using the infrastructure available blends.d.o to
help manage packaging activity.

By jessie+2, I would like to have a custom Ham Radio Blend installer CD, and
there are a number of things that would have to happen to get that done
properly.

> What are your thoughts on building a Blend or have you decided against
> the idea? If your still interested in doing something with it, I'd be
> happy to assist.

Currently the most important thing you can do towards the Blend effort is to
use the team's Git for packaging work. You can find instructions for that
here:

  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHams/Git

By tracking git commits, we're able to use tools like PET and soon the
Blends web sentinels to see which packages are being worked on. This will be
important when it comes to building the metapackages.

I notice you're on your way to becoming a DM, but this doesn't stop you
having access to our Git. Just sign up to alioth.debian.org and email me
your username and I'll add you to the team.

Another benefit of using our Git is that it becomes a lot easier for us to
help you with your packaging work and to look at sponsoring your packages.

Thanks for your work on the wsjt and wspr packages. I look forward to seeing
these new packages in Debian.

Iain.

--
e: [hidden email]            w: iain.learmonth.me
x: [hidden email]     t: +447875886930

Re: Potential Ham Radio Debian Blend

KI7MT

Hi Iain,

Thanks for adding me to the Debian Hams list. I've started messing
around with Git, which is a vertical learning curve for me coming from
bzr and svn. That's gonna take a bit of time to master.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the work flow with regards to using Debian
Hams Git and git-buildpackage. Up until now, I've been using pbuilder
to build for various distro's / versions.

I'll send a package status message out for things I'm working on, both
relevant upstream issues and packaging ( Debian / Ubuntu ) status, as
one of the packages is rather involved.

I'm sure I'll have a host of questions while I'm getting up to speed
on how things work.

One thing that came to mind rather quickly was, if there list of Ham
packages / page which shows who the primary maintainer is in the group
for each of the packages? I found the lintian pages per package, and
the Dashboard, but I'm not clear on who is doing what.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 02:35:07PM -0600, ki7mt wrote:
> I'm still a little fuzzy on the work flow with regards to using Debian
> Hams Git and git-buildpackage. Up until now, I've been using pbuilder
> to build for various distro's / versions.

For pbuilder, you run:

  git-buildpackage --builder=git-pbuilder

which will use pbuilder to build the package for the git repository you're
in. You can also do:

  ARCH=amd64 DIST=sid git-buildpackage --builder=git-pbuilder

if you want a different architecture or to build for a different Debian
release (assuming you have the chroots already created).

> I'll send a package status message out for things I'm working on, both
> relevant upstream issues and packaging ( Debian / Ubuntu ) status, as
> one of the packages is rather involved.

Sounds good.

> I'm sure I'll have a host of questions while I'm getting up to speed
> on how things work.

I and a few others hang out in #debian-hams on irc.debian.org. If you've got
lots of small questions, that might be the best place to get them resolved
quickly. My timezone is GMT and I'm usually around in the afternoons and
some evenings.

> One thing that came to mind rather quickly was, if there list of Ham
> packages / page which shows who the primary maintainer is in the group
> for each of the packages? I found the lintian pages per package, and
> the Dashboard, but I'm not clear on who is doing what.

Your best bet is to send an email to those listed as uploaders and CC the
list. I'm trying to bring about some policy for managing this better, but
haven't yet had time to work on it. Again, this is something that will need
to be done before attempting to put a Pure Blend together.

Thanks,
Iain.

--
e: [hidden email]            w: iain.learmonth.me
x: [hidden email]     t: +447875886930
c: MM6MVQ                  g: IO87we
p: 1F72 607C 5FF2 CCD5 3F01 600D 56FF 9EA4 E984 6C49

Re: Potential Ham Radio Debian Blend

KI7MT

Hi Iain,

I ran into several issues with the new packaging instructions:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHams/Git

At the moment, things are at a standstill with:

git push --all

I'm getting this error:

- -----
Permission denied (publickey).

and the repository exists.
- -----

I have an ssh conf file setup, and can ssh in to git.debian.org +
other debian sites, so I don't know why git not working. I tried
adding my Alioth ID to my gitconf, but that didn't work either.

Took me a while to figure out I needed Keys and where to SSH into.
That that could use a bit of updating in the instructions,
particularly for new maintainers that are new to Debian.

On Sat, Nov 01, 2014 at 02:33:17AM -0600, KI7MT wrote:
> Took me a while to figure out I needed Keys and where to SSH into.
> That that could use a bit of updating in the instructions,
> particularly for new maintainers that are new to Debian.

Yep, the documentation still needs a bit of work. Thanks for highlighting
these issues, I've added them to my queue.

In ~/.ssh/config, you might need a section that says something like:

Host alioth.debian.org
    User ki7mt-guest

To ensure that you're logging into Alioth via SSH with the correct username.

From your email I assume you've added an SSH key to Alioth. If not, you'll
need to add one here:

  https://alioth.debian.org/account/editsshkeys.php

Thanks,