Re: Processed: block 839046 with 134758

Marco d'Itri
On May 07, Debian Bug Tracking System <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > block 839046 with 134758
> Bug #839046 [debootstrap] debootstrap: enable --merged-usr by default
> Bug #839162 [debootstrap] Enabled merged-/usr by default
I totally disagree that this is in any way a blocking issue: it is at
best cosmetical since dpkg has always worked this way.

--
ciao,
Marco

Re: Processed: block 839046 with 134758

Guillem Jover
On Mon, 2018-05-07 at 12:08:36 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On May 07, Debian Bug Tracking System <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > block 839046 with 134758
> > Bug #839046 [debootstrap] debootstrap: enable --merged-usr by default
> > Bug #839162 [debootstrap] Enabled merged-/usr by default

> I totally disagree that this is in any way a blocking issue: it is at
> best cosmetical since dpkg has always worked this way.

BTW, I think this might have been mentioned before, but if not, just in
case. dpkg will *not* be able to detect *nor* error on file conflicts
that happen due to merged-/usr (say pkg-a ships /bin/foo, and pkg-b
ships /usr/bin/foo). You'll get _silent_ overwrites of content, to the
point of flip-flops depending on the installation/upgrade order.

I don't know whether someone is continuously checking for this kind of
problem within Debian, besides the usual checks that Ralf Treinen is
doing. But this will obviously not catch conflicts originating from
third-parties or local packages.

Thanks,
Guillem

On Aug 01, Guillem Jover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know whether someone is continuously checking for this kind of
> problem within Debian, besides the usual checks that Ralf Treinen is
I am: there is a script to do this in the usrmerge package.

--
ciao,
Marco