Re: RFS: fast-user-switch-applet: applet for the GNOME panel providing a menu to switch between users

Re: RFS: fast-user-switch-applet: applet for the GNOME panel providing a menu to switch between users

Julien Valroff
Le samedi 25 mars 2006 à 12:18 +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :

> On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 00:35 +0100, Julien Valroff wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a sponsor for fast-user-switch-applet, an applet for
> > the GNOME panel providing a menu to switch between users.
> > This package is now part of GNOME 2.14, and should thus be sponsored by
> > a member of the GNOME team.
>
> Shouldn't you contact them directly? They probably even have a package
> already prepared in SVN. Their list is here:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/

I contacted them before, and somebody told me I could keep my ITP and
ask here for a sponsor, provided that I state clearly this is a GNOME
package. I put them in copy just in case...

> Some comments:
>
>       * debian/changelog: since this is the first debian release,
>         probably best to strip it back to one changelog entry that
>         closes the ITP.
done. I have left the 'new upstream' entry.

>       * debian/control: add the homepage in the manner described by the
>         developers reference section 6.2.4
done

>       * debian/compat: using version 4 would help people who may want to
>         backport gnome 2.14 to sarge (and upload to backports.org)
done

>       * AUTHORS: redundant, no need to install it - debian/copyright
>         contains that info
done - is there a common way to tell cdbs which files to install?

>       * README: please strip bits that are irrelevant for people using
>         binary packages. Might want to ask upstream to split it into
>         separate files
I prefer leaving the entire file, as stripping the 2 "irrelevant" parts
would almost mean rewriting the file - I will however ask upstream to
split this file.

>       * might also want to install HACKING
done

>       * debian/copyright: You seem to ignore some of the copyright
>         notices in the .po files and even the source
>         code?!! ./src/applet.c especially. Please do a proper
>         debian/copyright file by using mc and grep to find all copyright
>         info.
done - I hope I have all of them.
The updated package is available at:
http://packages.kirya.net/debian/pool/main/f/fast-user-switch-applet/

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Cheers,
Julien

Re: RFS: fast-user-switch-applet: applet for the GNOME panel providing a menu to switch between users

Paul Wise-2
On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 10:10 +0100, Julien Valroff wrote:

> I contacted them before, and somebody told me I could keep my ITP and
> ask here for a sponsor, provided that I state clearly this is a GNOME
> package. I put them in copy just in case...

Ah cool. Will they put it in their SVN repo?

> >       * AUTHORS: redundant, no need to install it - debian/copyright
> >         contains that info
> done - is there a common way to tell cdbs which files to install?

In debhelper packages you have to add it to debian/[package.]docs, not
sure about cdbs, perhaps read the cdbs HTML docs in /usr/share/doc.

> I prefer leaving the entire file, as stripping the 2 "irrelevant" parts
> would almost mean rewriting the file - I will however ask upstream to
> split this file.

Fair enough, perhaps you could help them out by providing a patch.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise