Re: [VMPK-devel] vmpk broken in Ubuntu 20.04

Re: [VMPK-devel] vmpk broken in Ubuntu 20.04

Ted Felix-2
On 4/25/20 6:25 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> My first surprise is that the "Ubuntu software center" lists VMPK
> license as "Proprietary"!

   I also like the missing icon.  We've got the same problem with
Rosegarden in Ubuntu.  🙄

> Yes, Debian has removed kmidimon so Ubuntu removed it as well. My
> recommendation is to use *aseqdump*,

   Thanks.  I'll add it to my list of potential alternatives to check out.

> from the ALSA commandline
> utilities. I've used it to verify that both drumtick-vpiano and also
> vmpk send MIDI OUT events just fine.

   Interesting.  I'll try this as well.

> The SonivoxEAS is a MIDI synthesizer that I've ported from Android,

   Got it.  That makes sense.  I don't think it's making sound for me,
but now that I know what it is, I'll take a closer look at that.

> I hope this addresses the complains from Linux
> users in former versions about not being able to find and connect
> another synthesizer, or soundfonts.

   Ha!  Yeah.  We get a lot of that with Rosegarden as well.

> The problem is that neither vmpk or drumstick-vpiano can output to more
> than one driver at once. So if you select "SonivoxEAS" in "MIDI OUT
> Driver" (in the "MIDI Setup" dialog), the program produces sound, but
> does not send events to the ALSA sequencer client.

   I see.  That explains it.  So I am on the right track, trying to
switch from SonivoxEAS to ALSA.  Just need to figure out why is it
locking up at this point for me.

> The lock-up that you observed is probably an infinite MIDI loopback,
> that happens if you connect the MIDI output to the MIDI input. Maybe
> because you are connecting the same ALSA "Midi Through" port to both the
> input and the output.

   Hmmm.  Don't think this is what's happening, but I will have a look
for this specifically.  Time for more digging...

Ted.

Re: [VMPK-devel] vmpk broken in Ubuntu 20.04

Ted Felix-2
On 4/25/20 6:25 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> Thanks for your message. I've installed Ubuntu 20.04 in VirtualBox, to
> test your observations. Here are my findings...

   Ok, I've got it working and I've figured out the procedure to
reproduce the lockup.

1. Launch VMPK and set the MIDI OUT driver to SonivoxEAS.
2. Close VMPK
3. Launch JACK and Fluidsynth.
4. Launch VMPK.
5. Note, no sound, probably because SonivoxEAS is trying to talk to ALSA
and JACK has usurped ALSA/pulseaudio.
6. Switch VMPK's MIDI OUT to ALSA.
7. Lockup.

   It's possible this isn't an Ubuntu thing.  Might be a legit VMPK issue.

   At any rate, I've got a workaround (make sure you switch to ALSA when
JACK/fluidsynth are not running), so I'm good.  Let me know if you want
me to do any further testing.

Ted.

Re: [VMPK-devel] vmpk broken in Ubuntu 20.04

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Sorry, I can't reproduce your procedure here, because JACK doesn't work in VirtualBox.

Anyway, I can provide you an alternative procedure:

1. Launch VMPK and set the MIDI OUT driver to SonivoxEAS.
2. Close VMPK
3. Launch Fluidsynth with the pulseaudio driver:
$ fluidsynth -a pulseaudio /usr/share/sounds/sf2/default.sf2
4. Launch VMPK.
5. SonivoxEAS uses pulseaudio as well, so you can hear sound, and also use *pavucontrol* to monitor and change the individual volumes.
6. Switch VMPK's MIDI OUT to ALSA.
7. No lockup. You can change the connection to FLUID, and return to SonivoxEAS as many times as you want.

So, it may be a bug in JACK. I don't care either way, because the default Linux audio server is Pulseaudio, in Ubuntu and elsewhere.

As complementary steps, you can:

8. Add to your ".profile" this line, and log-in again:
export JACK_NO_START_SERVER=1
9. Even better: purge JACK from your system.
10. Build Rosegarden without Jack support.
11. Add Pulseaudio to Rosegarden, and make it the default build option.

Regards,
Pedro