Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel

Jonas Smedegaard
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:29:39PM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
>Package: yaird
>Version: 0.0.12-18
>Severity: important
>
>This is bug 431534, exposed again because stable has an old version of
>yaird but a recent kernel.

Acknowledged.

I see some different approaches to this:

  1. Leave this bug open but do nothing about it.
     * This bug is not a security issue in itself
     * Security-related kernel updates can switch to initramfs-tools
  2. Release 0.0.12-18+etch1 fixing only this specific issue
     * Security-updates must be minimal
  3. Release backport of newest yaird in unstable
     * Linux changes are large already, so "must be minimal" cannot
       apply here
     * Most if not all recent yaird changes are to support the major
       changes to recent Linux kernels
  4. Drop yaird from etchnhalf
     * Yaird has been dropped from testing (see bug#457177)


If we do 1) when should probably go through and etch-tag all other bugs
fixed recently.

If we do 3) then a single change must be made compared to current
package in Sid: LVM workaround must be enabled by default.


Cc'ing release team and security team for input.


NB! Even if yaird really is "generally too buggy" as judged in
bug#457177, the current release in unstable is far better than the
version currently in Etch, (contains no known regressions, and actually
works out-of-the-box in many cases with recent Linux kernels whereas
etch release don't).


  - Jonas

- --
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist og Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkiyiPAACgkQn7DbMsAkQLge4wCfYhhTWaIPnltEgh3ECoUWdZcu
2GcAniQxwrHdWpVuOJcc+6jG0z4rLtxc
=/t+B
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel

Maximilian Attems-3
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:29:39PM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
>>Package: yaird
>>Version: 0.0.12-18
>>Severity: important
>>
>>This is bug 431534, exposed again because stable has an old version of
>>yaird but a recent kernel.
>
> Acknowledged.
>
> I see some different approaches to this:
>
>  1. Leave this bug open but do nothing about it.
>     * This bug is not a security issue in itself
>     * Security-related kernel updates can switch to initramfs-tools

etch+half linux images are an optional upgrade.
never meant to be the default.


>  2. Release 0.0.12-18+etch1 fixing only this specific issue
>     * Security-updates must be minimal
>  3. Release backport of newest yaird in unstable
>     * Linux changes are large already, so "must be minimal" cannot
>       apply here
>     * Most if not all recent yaird changes are to support the major
>       changes to recent Linux kernels
>  4. Drop yaird from etchnhalf
>     * Yaird has been dropped from testing (see bug#457177)

that would mean dropping yaird out of etch, seems a bit late for that too.

>
>
> If we do 1) when should probably go through and etch-tag all other bugs
> fixed recently.
>
> If we do 3) then a single change must be made compared to current
> package in Sid: LVM workaround must be enabled by default.
>
>
> Cc'ing release team and security team for input.
>
>
> NB! Even if yaird really is "generally too buggy" as judged in
> bug#457177, the current release in unstable is far better than the
> version currently in Etch, (contains no known regressions, and actually
> works out-of-the-box in many cases with recent Linux kernels whereas
> etch release don't).

this diff seems a bit huge for a stable update.
also considering that lenny is about to be released.
as yaird is considered to be working with default etch kernel, that bug
doesn't need any further action.

regards

--
maks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel

Jonas Smedegaard
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:43:48PM +0200, Maximilian Attems wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> NB! Even if yaird really is "generally too buggy" as judged in
>> bug#457177, the current release in unstable is far better than the
>> version currently in Etch, (contains no known regressions, and
>> actually works out-of-the-box in many cases with recent Linux kernels
>> whereas etch release don't).
>
>this diff seems a bit huge for a stable update.

I assume you mean a diff between 0.0.12-18 currently in Etch and
0.0.13-4 currently in Sid.

Agreed, this is too big.

Attached is a proposed patch with only patches directly related to
support for the newer Linux kernels.



>also considering that lenny is about to be released.

This bugreport concerns Etch. Please keep your abandon-the-past approach
to the kernel-team - it does not apply here!


>as yaird is considered to be working with default etch kernel, that bug
>doesn't need any further action.

Yaird is (possibly contrary to other ramdisk-generators) not only for
"default" kernel, but generally for Linux kernels.

If our ultimate goal for yaird was to deprecate it, then yes, this bug
should better bit-rot, to help move all its users to use an alternative
ramdisk-generator.  But that is not our goal.


   - Jonas

--
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist og Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

   [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

yaird_0.0.12-18etch1.diff.gz.diff (7K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel

maximilian attems-9
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> +1021_new-style_firewire.patch

etch+half kernel has old ieee1394, no need for that one.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel

Jonas Smedegaard
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:33:00PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>> +1021_new-style_firewire.patch
>
>etch+half kernel has old ieee1394, no need for that one.

Thanks for your concern, Max.

I will wait for a response from security or release team before working
more on this.


  - Jonas

- --
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist og Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAki3xqoACgkQn7DbMsAkQLjoIgCfZ2mIGyGqz1sTCrxh0nQ6shdj
Q3UAmwRHir0MgOYsn420heV/A8x2dS+t
=Mnyr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel

dann frazier
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:51:38AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:33:00PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> >On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >
> >> +1021_new-style_firewire.patch
> >
> >etch+half kernel has old ieee1394, no need for that one.
>
> Thanks for your concern, Max.
>
> I will wait for a response from security or release team before working
> more on this.

Jonas,
 Your patch (w/o the firewire changes, as Maks points out), looks
good to me. Please go ahead and upload to stable.


--
dann frazier


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel

Jonas Smedegaard
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 09:44:35AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:51:38AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:33:00PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
>> >On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> >
>> >> +1021_new-style_firewire.patch
>> >
>> >etch+half kernel has old ieee1394, no need for that one.
>>
>> Thanks for your concern, Max.
>>
>> I will wait for a response from security or release team before
>> working more on this.
>
>Jonas,
> Your patch (w/o the firewire changes, as Maks points out), looks
>good to me. Please go ahead and upload to stable.

Thanks for the review.

Uploaded now to stable-proposed-updates (hope that is what you meant).


  - Jonas

- --
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist og Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkjRPC8ACgkQn7DbMsAkQLj9aACfUBZYjVj5hm2NymZNN4JBy/gX
IpQAoJUgBR485yB/FjNxSSfuoS/Z9e46
=CK8d
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]