Re: debhelper: Please default Rules-Require-Root to no

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debhelper: Please default Rules-Require-Root to no

Hideki Yamane-2
Hi,

> > In summary: The debhelper fundamentally cannot affect whether
> > Rules-Requires-Root: no is default or not.  The debhelper compat level
> > system is the wrong interface to do this as well.
> >
> > That said, in a distant future, I hope we can flip the default of
> > Rules-Requires-Root.  But when that comes, it will not be via a
> > debhelper compat level AFAICT.

 If we want to implement "Rules-Requires-Root: no" mandatory,
 is it dpkg-dev and policy issue?


--
Hideki Yamane <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debhelper: Please default Rules-Require-Root to no

Sean Whitton
Hello,

On Fri 24 May 2019 at 01:42PM +09, Hideki Yamane wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> > In summary: The debhelper fundamentally cannot affect whether
>> > Rules-Requires-Root: no is default or not.  The debhelper compat level
>> > system is the wrong interface to do this as well.
>> >
>> > That said, in a distant future, I hope we can flip the default of
>> > Rules-Requires-Root.  But when that comes, it will not be via a
>> > debhelper compat level AFAICT.
>
>  If we want to implement "Rules-Requires-Root: no" mandatory,
>  is it dpkg-dev and policy issue?
Requiring maintainers to put `Rules-Requires-Root: no` in every single
d/control file would be a debian-policy bug, yes.

Changing debhelper's default, if that remainder overrideable by the
maintainer, would not be.

(surely we are a very long way from r-r-r: no for every package?)

--
Sean Whitton

signature.asc (847 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debhelper: Please default Rules-Require-Root to no

Niels Thykier
Sean Whitton:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri 24 May 2019 at 01:42PM +09, Hideki Yamane wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>>> In summary: The debhelper fundamentally cannot affect whether
>>>> Rules-Requires-Root: no is default or not.  The debhelper compat level
>>>> system is the wrong interface to do this as well.
>>>>
>>>> That said, in a distant future, I hope we can flip the default of
>>>> Rules-Requires-Root.  But when that comes, it will not be via a
>>>> debhelper compat level AFAICT.
>>
>>  If we want to implement "Rules-Requires-Root: no" mandatory,
>>  is it dpkg-dev and policy issue?
>
> Requiring maintainers to put `Rules-Requires-Root: no` in every single
> d/control file would be a debian-policy bug, yes.
>
> Changing debhelper's default, if that remainder overrideable by the
> maintainer, would not be.
>
> (surely we are a very long way from r-r-r: no for every package?)
>

FYI, debhelper is *not* in control of the default for r-r-r (as stated
in the quoted text).  Therefore, "Changing debhelper'r default" cannot
be the solution here.

Thanks,
~Niels

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debhelper: Please default Rules-Require-Root to no

Sean Whitton
Hello,

On Fri 24 May 2019 at 08:43PM +00, Niels Thykier wrote:

> FYI, debhelper is *not* in control of the default for r-r-r (as stated
> in the quoted text).  Therefore, "Changing debhelper'r default" cannot
> be the solution here.

Ah, indeed.  I should have written "the default in our package build
toolchain" as I didn't really mean to distinguish between dpkg and
debhelper in making my point.

Thank you for pointing out the error.

--
Sean Whitton

signature.asc (847 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debhelper: Please default Rules-Require-Root to no

Hideki Yamane-2
In reply to this post by Sean Whitton
Hi,

On Fri, 24 May 2019 10:47:22 -0700
Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (surely we are a very long way from r-r-r: no for every package?)

 I don't think so since lintian info about "should-specify-rules-requires-root"
 containts only 98 packages.
 https://lintian.debian.org/tags/should-specify-rules-requires-root.html

 mandatory "r-r-r: no" in dpkg-dev and full rebuild shows exact numbers
 to be dealt with, IMO.


--
Hideki Yamane <[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: debhelper: Please default Rules-Require-Root to no

Niels Thykier
Hideki Yamane:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 24 May 2019 10:47:22 -0700
> Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> (surely we are a very long way from r-r-r: no for every package?)
>
>  I don't think so since lintian info about "should-specify-rules-requires-root"
>  containts only 98 packages.
>  https://lintian.debian.org/tags/should-specify-rules-requires-root.html
>
>  mandatory "r-r-r: no" in dpkg-dev and full rebuild shows exact numbers
>  to be dealt with, IMO.
>
>

The use of "r-r-r: no" will also disable dpkg-buildpackage detection of
missing build-{arch,indep} targets.  IOW, you need to add

https://lintian.debian.org/tags/debian-rules-missing-recommended-target.html

To your list of packages needing a fix before "r-r-r: no" can be the
default.

Additionally, lintian cannot/does not detect cases where a package use
(fake)root during the install step (e.g. upstream) but then later
"undoes" the ownership to root:root (e.g. dh_fixperms).  Just as an FYI,
so you know the lintian check is incomplete (I have no idea how many
instances we have of that - so it might be a non-issue).

Thanks,
~Niels