Re: gconf removal for buster premature?

Jeremy Bicha-5
Hi,

Let me reply to
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-gnome-maintainers/2018-August/145477.html

This is the embarrassing part where I admit that I am not subscribed
to the pkg-gnome-maintainers list because it sends a lot of mail which
I already get more conveniently from subscribing to
https://tracker.debian.org/teams/debian-gnome-team/

I am subscribed to https://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/ though.

You should discuss your proposals with the new gconf maintainer.

I believe the Debian GNOME team really does want to get rid of gconf
as soon as we can. In fact, we had removed all gconf
reverse-dependencies from Buster already (except for Eclipse which is
a huge headache), but the new gconf maintainer has now let several
back in for Buster. I think his plan was to try to remove gconf during
Bullseye though.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: gconf removal for buster premature?

Paul Wise via nm
On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 11:57 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

> I believe the Debian GNOME team really does want to get rid of gconf
> as soon as we can. In fact, we had removed all gconf
> reverse-dependencies from Buster already (except for Eclipse which is
> a huge headache), but the new gconf maintainer has now let several
> back in for Buster. I think his plan was to try to remove gconf during
> Bullseye though.

BTW, I think for future GNOME library deprecations it would be a good
idea to file wishlist bugs against reverse dependencies immediately
when GNOME upstream decides to deprecate things instead of filing them
closer to the removal time. For example I guess for GTK+3 that will be
coming during the bullseye cycle as GTK+4 is in progress? As I
understand it, GTK+2 is already deprecated so now is the time to file
bugs about that.

--
bye,
pabs