Re: lintian: please downgrade mailing-list-obsolete-in-debian-infrastructure warning

Re: lintian: please downgrade mailing-list-obsolete-in-debian-infrastructure warning

Shengjing Zhu-3
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 5:47 PM gregor herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> In my personal opinion, this lintian warning/info is not actionable,
> also the referred to wiki page at
> https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/MailingListContinuation doesn't say
> anything about not using @lists.alioth.debian.org or what to replace
> it with, and unless the maintainers of the replacement system tell us
> otherwise, I assume this will all keep working fine.

Could this wiki page be more useful?

https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/AliothMigration#Import_mailing_list

Shengjing Zhu

Re: lintian: please downgrade mailing-list-obsolete-in-debian-infrastructure warning

gregor herrmann-3
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 19:16:08 +0800, Shengjing Zhu wrote:

> > In my personal opinion, this lintian warning/info is not actionable,
> > also the referred to wiki page at
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/MailingListContinuation doesn't say
> > anything about not using @lists.alioth.debian.org or what to replace
> > it with, and unless the maintainers of the replacement system tell us
> > otherwise, I assume this will all keep working fine.
>
> Could this wiki page be more useful?
> https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/AliothMigration#Import_mailing_list

Not really; the lists we are talking about _are_ migrated to
alioth-lists.debian.net which will continue to accept mail for
@lists.alioth.debian.org.
And like Andreas, I see no point in changing the mail addresses in
thousands of packages and various tools and parts of infrastructure.

This link and the whole check would be helpful only for not-migrated
alioth lists which don't work anymore but I guess lintian has no
chance to make this discrimination.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 : :' : OpenPGP fingerprint D1E1 316E 93A7 60A8 104D  85FA BB3A 6801 8649 AA06

Re: lintian: please downgrade mailing-list-obsolete-in-debian-infrastructure warning

Shengjing Zhu-3
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:44 PM gregor herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> > Could this wiki page be more useful?
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/AliothMigration#Import_mailing_list
>
> Not really; the lists we are talking about _are_ migrated to
> alioth-lists.debian.net which will continue to accept mail for
> @lists.alioth.debian.org.
> And like Andreas, I see no point in changing the mail addresses in
> thousands of packages and various tools and parts of infrastructure.

So your expectation is alioth-lists.d.n will become a long term service.

However I read  the announcement[1] 2 years ago differently.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/01/msg00003.html

> This is not intended to supercede the advice to make use of other
services where appropriate, such as lists.debian.org for eligible
lists, tracker.debian.org or salsa, but does enable other lists
such as package team maintenance lists, to have a home in _the
short term_

Also it writes,
> The service will be reviewed for viability and
usefulness after one release cycle

I'm not sure how the one release cycle is counted.
We have released buster since then. And we are close to bullseye now.

Probably it's time to start thinking about this.

Shengjing Zhu

Re: lintian: please downgrade mailing-list-obsolete-in-debian-infrastructure warning

Scott Kitterman-5
On Friday, April 24, 2020 12:08:46 PM EDT Shengjing Zhu wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:44 PM gregor herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > Could this wiki page be more useful?
> > > https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/AliothMigration#Import_mailing_list
> >
> > Not really; the lists we are talking about _are_ migrated to
> > alioth-lists.debian.net which will continue to accept mail for
> > @lists.alioth.debian.org.
> > And like Andreas, I see no point in changing the mail addresses in
> > thousands of packages and various tools and parts of infrastructure.
>
> So your expectation is alioth-lists.d.n will become a long term service.
>
> However I read  the announcement[1] 2 years ago differently.
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/01/msg00003.html
>
> > This is not intended to supercede the advice to make use of other
>
> services where appropriate, such as lists.debian.org for eligible
> lists, tracker.debian.org or salsa, but does enable other lists
> such as package team maintenance lists, to have a home in _the
> short term_
>
> Also it writes,
>
> > The service will be reviewed for viability and
>
> usefulness after one release cycle
>
> I'm not sure how the one release cycle is counted.
> We have released buster since then. And we are close to bullseye now.
>
> Probably it's time to start thinking about this.
True, but this is useless as a lintian check.  Packaging teams need to decide
what they are going to do and then migrate.  There's nothing individual
packages (or package maintainers) can do except decide to remove their package
from team maintenance to 'fix' this issue.  That's not what we want.

In the Python Applications Packaging Team we've already had multiple package
uploaded with the wrong address that have had to be fixed in new uploads.  This
test is not just pointless, it's actively harmful.

Lintian checks need to be actionable by the package maintainer and this one is
not.

Scott K