Re: "external abort on linefetch (0x814)" on Kirkwood 6282 SoC

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "external abort on linefetch (0x814)" on Kirkwood 6282 SoC

Matti Viljanen
2018-07-22 09:54 GMT+03:00 Timo Jyrinki <[hidden email]>:
 > "Network doesn't work". I'm not sure what's going on, but the
 > installer isn't able to enable the network, even though the network
 > device exists and can be configured. Cable is connected similarly to
 > normal operation and lights are blinking (and obviously the system was
 > just booted with TFTP from u-boot too).

Hello everybody,

I have a Fujitsu Q703 aka. QNap TS-221, with 1GB of RAM and 6282 variant
chip inside, and I have hit this behavior.

I whipped up a Debian Buster VM, in which I can now easily cross-compile
kernels. For now, I enabled CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G_OPT and compiled 4.19.28-2
zImage, bundled it with kirkwood-ts219-6282.dtb (this is the correct for
my model, right?) and turned it into an uImage. The initrd I used is
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-armel/20190410/images/kirkwood/network-console/qnap/ts-21x/initrd.
After flashing the device boots up fine (it beeps and doesn't reboot,
power led stays solid green), but it's not accessible via SSH, nor does
it get an IP address but the LEDs blink normally - I think this is the
same situation Timo had. I have used the recovery image QNap provided
and re-flashed the kernel by flash-debian script (and manually cat-ing,
too), but soon I should have my TTL serial adaptor ready.

I would like to help testing, if you have any ideas. What should I try next?

Thanks!
--
Matti Viljanen
[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "external abort on linefetch (0x814)" on Kirkwood 6282 SoC

Timo Jyrinki-4
ti 23. huhtik. 2019 klo 1.37 Matti Viljanen ([hidden email]) kirjoitti:
> I have a Fujitsu Q703 aka. QNap TS-221, with 1GB of RAM and 6282 variant
> chip inside, and I have hit this behavior.
...
> it get an IP address but the LEDs blink normally - I think this is the
> same situation Timo had. I have used the recovery image QNap provided
> and re-flashed the kernel by flash-debian script (and manually cat-ing,
> too), but soon I should have my TTL serial adaptor ready.

Thanks a lot for testing, and confirming something goes wrong with
CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G.

> I would like to help testing, if you have any ideas. What should I try next?

Alas I'm out of my depth on the topic regarding what to try next if
wanting to use the whole 1GB of RAM.

The workaround limiting RAM to 768MB works fine, and since no variant
seems to have over 1GB RAM, maybe it's acceptable tradeoff for most so
this hasn't seen more progress. The workaround in u-boot with the
adapter is described at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2018/06/msg00000.html , and after
setting that I've used my TS-221 for the past year. It can also be set
via fw_printenv and fw_setenv (not tested myself) as instructed at
http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/2012/04/16/u-boot-tools-for-debian-arm-linux-in-qnap-server/.
fw_printenv gives me the following on the last line:
bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram initrd=0xa00000,0x900000
ramdisk=34816 mem=768M

-Timo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "external abort on linefetch (0x814)" on Kirkwood 6282 SoC

Martin Michlmayr
I'm adding Andrew Lunn in hope this can be tracked down.  This relates
to Kirkwood machines with 1 GB of RAM.  CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G seems to
lead to network problems.

* Timo Jyrinki <[hidden email]> [2019-04-26 14:29]:

> ti 23. huhtik. 2019 klo 1.37 Matti Viljanen ([hidden email]) kirjoitti:
> > I have a Fujitsu Q703 aka. QNap TS-221, with 1GB of RAM and 6282 variant
> > chip inside, and I have hit this behavior.
> ...
> > it get an IP address but the LEDs blink normally - I think this is the
> > same situation Timo had. I have used the recovery image QNap provided
> > and re-flashed the kernel by flash-debian script (and manually cat-ing,
> > too), but soon I should have my TTL serial adaptor ready.
>
> Thanks a lot for testing, and confirming something goes wrong with
> CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G.
>
> > I would like to help testing, if you have any ideas. What should I try next?
>
> Alas I'm out of my depth on the topic regarding what to try next if
> wanting to use the whole 1GB of RAM.
>
> The workaround limiting RAM to 768MB works fine, and since no variant
> seems to have over 1GB RAM, maybe it's acceptable tradeoff for most so
> this hasn't seen more progress. The workaround in u-boot with the
> adapter is described at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2018/06/msg00000.html , and after
> setting that I've used my TS-221 for the past year. It can also be set
> via fw_printenv and fw_setenv (not tested myself) as instructed at
> http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/2012/04/16/u-boot-tools-for-debian-arm-linux-in-qnap-server/.
> fw_printenv gives me the following on the last line:
> bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram initrd=0xa00000,0x900000
> ramdisk=34816 mem=768M
>
> -Timo

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/