Re: salsa.debian.org partially down

Hector Oron
Hello,

Missatge de Thomas Goirand <[hidden email]> del dia dg., 18 d’ag.
2019 a les 0:15:

> I'm all for it. The DSA team can use my installer, who's in Buster [1].

Great! DSA will evaluate such option now that it is in Buster.

> But last time I checked, the DSA team refused both my help and the idea
> to run OpenStack.

Last time was 4 or 5 years ago, DSA never refused your help but
objected to give away admin rights to run services per DSA policy.

 Héctor Orón  -.. . -... .. .- -.   -.. . ...- . .-.. --- .--. . .-.

Re: salsa.debian.org partially down

Bastian Blank
On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 01:35:58PM +0800, Aron Xu wrote:
>                           even we can have its own Openstack
> installation if the team really like it.

You really want to maintain an OpenStack installation?  Have you done
so already?  Have you done upgrades of this installation for at least
two years (one Debian cycle)?

OpenStack is nice if it is run by people with knowledge and enough
resources.  It is not longer nice if you need to upgrade and general
maintain it.

Bastian

--
Many Myths are based on truth
                -- Spock, "The Way to Eden",  stardate 5832.3

Re: upgrading OpenStack (was: salsa.debian.org partially down)

Thomas Goirand-3
On 8/18/19 8:37 AM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> OpenStack is nice if it is run by people with knowledge and enough
> resources. It is not longer nice if you need to upgrade and general
> maintain it.

As I just wrote on the wiki [1], upgrade through the lifecycle of Debian
stable is generally not a problem. What's painful is from one Debian
release to another (ie: upgrading a rabbitmq-server cluster for example,
is noticeably painful). Though you don't really *have* to upgrade, you
could migrate your workload to a new Debian release deployment.

Of course, you'd need more servers to do that, but at the same time,
after 3 years of production, you probably aren't against a refresh of
your infrastructure.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/OpenStack#Upgrading_OpenStack_in_Debian