Recovery required on readonly filesystem

Recovery required on readonly filesystem

postid
Greetings:

When I booted my IBM R40 laptop running Sarge this morning I
noticed a rather disturbing series of messages in the log. Maybe
it's happened before, but I don't recall seeing it.

Localhost kernel: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly

and

EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem

and

EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery

"Recovery" from what? It's up and running now. Should I do
something? Should I wait till the next boot and see if it does it
again or has it fixed itself already since it's experienced recovery?

postid

Re: Recovery required on readonly filesystem

Hugo Vanwoerkom
postid wrote:

> EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem

from:

"ext3 switches to read-only automatically if it encounters too many
write errors"

Hugo

Re: Recovery required on readonly filesystem

Johannes Wiedersich-3
postid wrote:

> EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
>
> and
>
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery
>
> "Recovery" from what? It's up and running now. Should I do something?
> Should I wait till the next boot and see if it does it again or has it
> fixed itself already since it's experienced recovery?
Check for files within the lost+found directory of the partition in
question. If the teeth of time have corrupted some of your files, their
remains will have ended up there.

It could be that for some reason or other your system just didn't shut
down properly and that no data loss has occured at all.

You should check /var/log/fsck for the logs of what had happened.

HTH,

Johannes

[Note that sarge has long since been the current and supported version
of debian. You'd probably want to upgrade to etch, ie. the current
'stable'.]