Red/green blinking LED on QNAP TS220

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Red/green blinking LED on QNAP TS220

Paul van der Vlis
Hello,

I have a QNAP TS220 here, used for backups. It runs many years 24/7,
every time upgraded. Now Debian9.

But I had a problem, I could not access it anymore. A hard reboot did
not help, a reboot of my switch did help. So I can access it now again
using SSH. I am using mdadm, and the raid seems to be OK.

My "problem" is that I see a red/green flashing LED. I have not seen
that before, so far I know.  Can somebody tell me what it means? Or how
I can find that?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis






--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer Groningen
https://www.vandervlis.nl/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Red/green blinking LED on QNAP TS220

Rainer H. Rauschenberg
Paul van der Vlis <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do 06 Dez 2018 15:09:22 CET:

> I have a QNAP TS220 here, used for backups. It runs many years 24/7,
> every time upgraded. Now Debian9.

> My "problem" is that I see a red/green flashing LED. I have not seen
> that before, so far I know.  Can somebody tell me what it means? Or how
> I can find that?

 From a similar post in a german forum  
(https://forum.qnapclub.de/thread/45467-status-led-blinkt-abwechselnd-rot-und-gr%C3%BCn/) I guess that qcontrol doesn't start properly and (another guess) it is qcontrol that is in charge to put the LEDs in any other state than blinking red/green. So try to restart qcontrol or simply ignore  
it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Red/green blinking LED on QNAP TS220

debian-arm-2
In reply to this post by Paul van der Vlis
Hi Paul,


This might be a problem with qcontrol in stretch, your fan is also
probably not controlled.
See this blogpost for a proposed fix:
https://blog.spblinux.de/2018/09/debian-with-btrfs-on-qnap-11x-21x-kirkwood/

###################
Solution (fixes led, buzzer and fan): #qcontrol needs stretch backports:
apt-get -t stretch-backports install qcontrol, so add to
/etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ stretch-backports main

and /lib/systemd/system/qcontrold.services is broken: replaces lines
Requires=dev-input-by\x2dpath-platform\x2dgpio_keys\x2devent.device
After=dev-input-by\x2dpath-platform\x2dgpio_keys\x2devent.device

with
ConditionPathExists=/dev/input/by-path/platform-gpio_keys-event (kernel
4.9) or platform-gpio-keys-event (kernel 3.16)
and afterwards run
dpkg –configure qcontrol
#################


Cheers,
Moritz

Am 2018-12-06 15:09, schrieb Paul van der Vlis:

> Hello,
>
> I have a QNAP TS220 here, used for backups. It runs many years 24/7,
> every time upgraded. Now Debian9.
>
> But I had a problem, I could not access it anymore. A hard reboot did
> not help, a reboot of my switch did help. So I can access it now again
> using SSH. I am using mdadm, and the raid seems to be OK.
>
> My "problem" is that I see a red/green flashing LED. I have not seen
> that before, so far I know.  Can somebody tell me what it means? Or how
> I can find that?
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Red/green blinking LED on QNAP TS220

Paul van der Vlis
Hi Moritz and others,

Thanks for you help. I could fix the problem, but I have some
corrections on the info:

Op 06-12-18 om 16:16 schreef Moritz Horstmann:
> Hi Paul,
>
>
> This might be a problem with qcontrol in stretch, your fan is also
> probably not controlled.
> See this blogpost for a proposed fix:
> https://blog.spblinux.de/2018/09/debian-with-btrfs-on-qnap-11x-21x-kirkwood/

This is about btrfs, I am using ext4.
And about 1GB RAM, this device has 501 MB RAM.

> ###################
> Solution (fixes led, buzzer and fan): #qcontrol needs stretch backports:
> apt-get -t stretch-backports install qcontrol, so add to
> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ stretch-backports main
>
> and /lib/systemd/system/qcontrold.services is broken: replaces lines

typo. It's  /lib/systemd/system/qcontrold.service

> Requires=dev-input-by\x2dpath-platform\x2dgpio_keys\x2devent.device
> After=dev-input-by\x2dpath-platform\x2dgpio_keys\x2devent.device
>
> with
> ConditionPathExists=/dev/input/by-path/platform-gpio_keys-event (kernel
> 4.9) or platform-gpio-keys-event (kernel 3.16)

I did this.

> and afterwards run
> dpkg –configure qcontrol

Gave problems:
root@qnap:/home/paul# dpkg –configure qcontrol
dpkg: error: need an action option
root@qnap:/home/paul# dpkg-reconfigure qcontrol
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: qcontrol is broken or not fully installed

I did again "apt-get -t stretch-backports install qcontrol". This gave a
warning:
----
W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (0 vs 4).
   Affected packages: qcontrol:armel
---

After that I could start qcontrold with "service qcontrold start" and
the LED does not blink anymore. The fan seems to be controlled (says
"service qcontrold status".

Flashing the kernel and initrmafs takes some time...

Thanks for the help!

With regards,
Paul


> #################
>
>
> Cheers,
> Moritz
>
> Am 2018-12-06 15:09, schrieb Paul van der Vlis:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a QNAP TS220 here, used for backups. It runs many years 24/7,
>> every time upgraded. Now Debian9.
>>
>> But I had a problem, I could not access it anymore. A hard reboot did
>> not help, a reboot of my switch did help. So I can access it now again
>> using SSH. I am using mdadm, and the raid seems to be OK.
>>
>> My "problem" is that I see a red/green flashing LED. I have not seen
>> that before, so far I know.  Can somebody tell me what it means? Or how
>> I can find that?
>>
>> With regards,
>> Paul van der Vlis



--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer Groningen
https://www.vandervlis.nl/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Red/green blinking LED on QNAP TS220

debian-arm-2
Hi Paul,

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but only the section I copied into my
mail is relevant for your problem.
This is independent from BTRFS and 1G of RAM, so don't start flashing
your kernel.
I'm not sure what broke the configuration of qcontrol for you now though
...

Cheers,
Moritz

Am 2018-12-06 17:58, schrieb Paul van der Vlis:

> Hi Moritz and others,
>
> Thanks for you help. I could fix the problem, but I have some
> corrections on the info:
>
> Op 06-12-18 om 16:16 schreef Moritz Horstmann:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>>
>> This might be a problem with qcontrol in stretch, your fan is also
>> probably not controlled.
>> See this blogpost for a proposed fix:
>> https://blog.spblinux.de/2018/09/debian-with-btrfs-on-qnap-11x-21x-kirkwood/
>
> This is about btrfs, I am using ext4.
> And about 1GB RAM, this device has 501 MB RAM.
>
>> ###################
>> Solution (fixes led, buzzer and fan): #qcontrol needs stretch
>> backports:
>> apt-get -t stretch-backports install qcontrol, so add to
>> /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ stretch-backports main
>>
>> and /lib/systemd/system/qcontrold.services is broken: replaces lines
>
> typo. It's  /lib/systemd/system/qcontrold.service
>
>> Requires=dev-input-by\x2dpath-platform\x2dgpio_keys\x2devent.device
>> After=dev-input-by\x2dpath-platform\x2dgpio_keys\x2devent.device
>>
>> with
>> ConditionPathExists=/dev/input/by-path/platform-gpio_keys-event
>> (kernel
>> 4.9) or platform-gpio-keys-event (kernel 3.16)
>
> I did this.
>
>> and afterwards run
>> dpkg –configure qcontrol
>
> Gave problems:
> root@qnap:/home/paul# dpkg –configure qcontrol
> dpkg: error: need an action option
> root@qnap:/home/paul# dpkg-reconfigure qcontrol
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: qcontrol is broken or not fully installed
>
> I did again "apt-get -t stretch-backports install qcontrol". This gave
> a
> warning:
> ----
> W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (0 vs 4).
>    Affected packages: qcontrol:armel
> ---
>
> After that I could start qcontrold with "service qcontrold start" and
> the LED does not blink anymore. The fan seems to be controlled (says
> "service qcontrold status".
>
> Flashing the kernel and initrmafs takes some time...
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> With regards,
> Paul
>
>
>> #################
>>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Moritz
>>
>> Am 2018-12-06 15:09, schrieb Paul van der Vlis:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a QNAP TS220 here, used for backups. It runs many years 24/7,
>>> every time upgraded. Now Debian9.
>>>
>>> But I had a problem, I could not access it anymore. A hard reboot did
>>> not help, a reboot of my switch did help. So I can access it now
>>> again
>>> using SSH. I am using mdadm, and the raid seems to be OK.
>>>
>>> My "problem" is that I see a red/green flashing LED. I have not seen
>>> that before, so far I know.  Can somebody tell me what it means? Or
>>> how
>>> I can find that?
>>>
>>> With regards,
>>> Paul van der Vlis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Red/green blinking LED on QNAP TS220

Philippe Clérié
In reply to this post by Paul van der Vlis
On 12/6/18 11:58 AM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> Hi Moritz and others,
>
> Thanks for you help. I could fix the problem, but I have some
> corrections on the info:
>
> Op 06-12-18 om 16:16 schreef Moritz Horstmann:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>>
>> This might be a problem with qcontrol in stretch, your fan is also
>> probably not controlled.
>> See this blogpost for a proposed fix:
>> https://blog.spblinux.de/2018/09/debian-with-btrfs-on-qnap-11x-21x-kirkwood/
>
> This is about btrfs, I am using ext4.
> And about 1GB RAM, this device has 501 MB RAM.
>
>> ###################
>> Solution (fixes led, buzzer and fan): #qcontrol needs stretch backports:
>> apt-get -t stretch-backports install qcontrol, so add to
>> /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ stretch-backports main
>>
>> and /lib/systemd/system/qcontrold.services is broken: replaces lines
>
> typo. It's  /lib/systemd/system/qcontrold.service
>
>> Requires=dev-input-by\x2dpath-platform\x2dgpio_keys\x2devent.device
>> After=dev-input-by\x2dpath-platform\x2dgpio_keys\x2devent.device
>>
>> with
>> ConditionPathExists=/dev/input/by-path/platform-gpio_keys-event (kernel
>> 4.9) or platform-gpio-keys-event (kernel 3.16)
>
> I did this.
>
>> and afterwards run
>> dpkg –configure qcontrol
>
> Gave problems:
> root@qnap:/home/paul# dpkg –configure qcontrol
> dpkg: error: need an action option
> root@qnap:/home/paul# dpkg-reconfigure qcontrol
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: qcontrol is broken or not fully installed
>
> I did again "apt-get -t stretch-backports install qcontrol". This gave a
> warning:
> ----
> W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (0 vs 4).
>     Affected packages: qcontrol:armel
> ---
>
> After that I could start qcontrold with "service qcontrold start" and
> the LED does not blink anymore. The fan seems to be controlled (says
> "service qcontrold status".
>
> Flashing the kernel and initrmafs takes some time...
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> With regards,
> Paul
>
>
>> #################
>>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Moritz
>>
>> Am 2018-12-06 15:09, schrieb Paul van der Vlis:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a QNAP TS220 here, used for backups. It runs many years 24/7,
>>> every time upgraded. Now Debian9.
>>>
>>> But I had a problem, I could not access it anymore. A hard reboot did
>>> not help, a reboot of my switch did help. So I can access it now again
>>> using SSH. I am using mdadm, and the raid seems to be OK.
>>>
>>> My "problem" is that I see a red/green flashing LED. I have not seen
>>> that before, so far I know.  Can somebody tell me what it means? Or how
>>> I can find that?
>>>
>>> With regards,
>>> Paul van der Vlis
>
>
>

Thanks for the solution to a long annoyance. :-D It never occurred to me
that there might be a fix in Backports.

I was a bit confused by the proposed solution, but I eventually got to
the same result. It works.

Here's more or less what I actually did.

- The install from Backports will indeed leave the qcontrol package in a
broken state, most likely caused by the failure to start the service. It
is not recommended to directly edit or replace the systemd units in the
/lib/systemd tree. It's best to use the /etc/systemd mechanism.
Furthermore, because you cannot just override the Requires and After
settings, the unit file must be replaced in its entirety. (I think.)

So:

systemctl edit --full qcontrold.service

Under the [Unit] section, comment out the Requires and After settings.
And add:

ConditionPathExists=/dev/input/by-path/platform-gpio_keys-event

Save the file and let systemd know a service has changed:

systemctl daemon-reload

Then try to enable the service.

systemctl enable qcontrold.service

Verify:

systemctl status qcontrold.service

If there's a problem, iterate.

Now that the service is working, complete the installation of the
package with:

apt install

The installation should now complete, with the warning mentioned in the
original post. The qcontrold service should have been started. In my
case, I had to restart it, probably because of all the trials and errors.

Anyway that's more or less what I tried. I can't verify these steps as
written because I only have (had) one box with the condition. So it's YMMV.

Thanks again.

--
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense it that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>