Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Carsten Strotmann
Hi,

a quick reminder for our meeting in September at Linuxhotel. The meeting
will take place from September 7th, 14:00 H (Friday) to September 9th,
16:00 H (Sunday).

Website with additional information:
<https://m68kmeeting.linuxkistchen.de/>

If you want to join the 2018 m68k meeting, please write an email to
<[hidden email]> containing the following information

    Name
    Choice of room (none, single, double)
    special dietary needs (if any)
    (optional) m68k machines/hardware that you will bring
    (optional) talk/workshop you would like to give (title, duration)
    permission to list your name on this website (yes / no)

I'm looking forward to meet you all in September ;)

Carsten

Re: Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Geert Uytterhoeven
Hi Carsten,

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> a quick reminder for our meeting in September at Linuxhotel. The meeting
> will take place from September 7th, 14:00 H (Friday) to September 9th,
> 16:00 H (Sunday).

Thanks for organizing!

> I'm looking forward to meet you all in September ;)

Unfortunately I can't make it to the meeting.

Have fun ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [hidden email]

                                -- Linus Torvalds

Re: Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Stefan Niestegge-2

Am 27.08.2018 um 15:16 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> a quick reminder for our meeting in September at Linuxhotel. The meeting
>> will take place from September 7th, 14:00 H (Friday) to September 9th,
>> 16:00 H (Sunday).
>
> Thanks for organizing!
>
>> I'm looking forward to meet you all in September ;)
>
> Unfortunately I can't make it to the meeting.

Aww, what a pity. I hoped to meet you, Geert.
Maybe you can join on IRC during the meetup?

I am preparing my Falcon for the meeting, and i hope i can also bring
a TT030.

There is no sense in bringing a (Coldfire based) Firebee, is there?

Greetings,
Stefan "Beetle" Niestegge

Re: Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Geert Uytterhoeven
Hi Stefan,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 2:43 PM Stefan Niestegge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 27.08.2018 um 15:16 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven:
> > On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I'm looking forward to meet you all in September ;)
> >
> > Unfortunately I can't make it to the meeting.
>
> Aww, what a pity. I hoped to meet you, Geert.
> Maybe you can join on IRC during the meetup?

Perhaps on Saturday.

> There is no sense in bringing a (Coldfire based) Firebee, is there?

Do you want to write support for it in the cosiness of your home, or at the
meeting? ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [hidden email]

                                -- Linus Torvalds

Re: Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Stefan Niestegge-2

>> Aww, what a pity. I hoped to meet you, Geert.
>> Maybe you can join on IRC during the meetup?
>
> Perhaps on Saturday.

Cool.

Your question contains all information i needed :-D

Re: Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Stefan Niestegge-2

>> There is no sense in bringing a (Coldfire based) Firebee, is there?

I will bring 3 Atari Machines:

Falcon 060,  90MHz, 14/512 MB RAM, IDE storage, USB, EtherNat
TT030,       32MHz, 10/128 MB RAM, SCSI and IDE storage, USB
MST4 (PAK030)50MHz, 4/64 MB RAM, SCSI and IDE Storage, USB, ISA upgrade
with NE2000 Ethernet and ATi Mach32 gfx card

As written in other thread, we're failing to boot the kernel on the 030
machines. Lets check out why...

I could also bring the Mac LCIII (36MB, SD-on-SCSI), Ethernet. Bring or
leave at home?

Greetings,
Stefan

Re: Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Carsten Strotmann-2
On 01.09.18 15:04, Stefan Niestegge wrote:

> I could also bring the Mac LCIII (36MB, SD-on-SCSI), Ethernet. Bring or
> leave at home?

Bring. I would like to work on that.

Greetings

Am 01.09.2018 um 15:19 schrieb Carsten Strotmann:
> On 01.09.18 15:04, Stefan Niestegge wrote:
>>
>> I could also bring the Mac LCIII (36MB, SD-on-SCSI), Ethernet. Bring or
>> leave at home?
>
> Bring. I would like to work on that.

OK!

Greetings, Stefan

Re: Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Michael Schmitz-4

Am 02.09.2018 um 01:04 schrieb Stefan Niestegge:

>>> There is no sense in bringing a (Coldfire based) Firebee, is there?
>
> I will bring 3 Atari Machines:
>
> Falcon 060,  90MHz, 14/512 MB RAM, IDE storage, USB, EtherNat
> TT030,       32MHz, 10/128 MB RAM, SCSI and IDE storage, USB
> MST4 (PAK030)50MHz, 4/64 MB RAM, SCSI and IDE Storage, USB, ISA upgrade
> with NE2000 Ethernet and ATi Mach32 gfx card
>
> As written in other thread, we're failing to boot the kernel on the 030
> machines. Lets check out why...

Don't forget to bring something to capture kernel messages on :-)

4 MB ST-RAM won't be enough for a kernel and ramdisk - you'll need to
load the kernel to the TT-RAM chunk (and will lose use of the ST-RAM
chunk, except for the stram_pool size part mapped for the ST-RAM
allocator. Default pool size is 1 MB, no need to reduce that unless you
only have ST-RAM).

Booting should work either way, the kernel will take around 4 MB once
booted, leaving enough room for ramdisk and a little user space before
TT-RAM gets used.

14 MB ST-RAM alone is not enough with today's userland BTW, though it
works (just about) with older systems based on sysvinit. Christian tried
booting his Falcon with only ST-RAM and systemd a few months ago and it
ran out of memory halfway through the boot.

Both 030 machines not booting does suggest something else is wrong with
either kernel config or 030 memory management (such as the iounmap()
hang fixed earlier in the year).

If it helps getting started with your testing, I can supply a kernel
image and matching modules that does run on my Falcon this very moment.

Cheers,

        Michael