Remote server access via KVM?

Tom Browder
My remote server hosted with Dedispec has serious problems and they have offered me access via KVM.

What do I need on my end to use that access to fix my remote host from my home network?

All the references I see are access to VMs running on a local network.

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: Remote server access via KVM?

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 06:52:57AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
>    My remote server hosted with Dedispec has serious problems and they have
>    offered me access via KVM.
>    What do I need on my end to use that access to fix my remote host from my
>    home network?
>    All the references I see are access to VMs running on a local network.
>    Thanks.
>    -Tom

It is not entirely clear from the context of your message if the hosted
server you reference is dedicated hardware or a virtual machine.  So,
the meaning of "KVM" is ambiguous.  It could refer to kernel virtual
machine, in which case the access sounds like it would be direct console
access to the host system on which the guest runs.  Or it could refer to
keyboard-video-mouse, in which case it sounds like they are offering you
out of band access to a piece of dedicated hardware.

Could you clarify the meaning you intended to communicate?

Regards,

-Roberto
Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: Remote server access via KVM?

Dan Ritter-4
Tom Browder wrote:
> My remote server hosted with Dedispec has serious problems and they have
> offered me access via KVM.
>
> What do I need on my end to use that access to fix my remote host from my
> home network?
>
> All the references I see are access to VMs running on a local network.

KVM, in this case, means software and hardware that emulates a
keyboard, video screen and mouse at a distance. It should
connect you to your machine's physical console, or as close as
one can come to that.

Dedispec will tell you what access methods are available --
commonly, a Java program, or a web service, or VNC.

Their website says "temporary kvm over IP", which suggests that
they will come and plug in a networked device that will talk to
your server's VGA, USB and PS/2 ports. The client end of that
could be any of the above methods -- ask them.

-dsr-

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 07:35 Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tom Browder wrote:
> My remote server hosted with Dedispec has serious problems and they have
> offered me access via KVM.
>
> What do I need on my end to use that access to fix my remote host from my
> home network?
>
> All the references I see are access to VMs running on a local network.
Dedispec will tell you what access methods are available --
commonly, a Java program, or a web service, or VNC.

Their website says "temporary kvm over IP", which suggests that
they will come and plug in a networked device that will talk to
your server's VGA, USB and PS/2 ports. The client end of that
could be any of the above methods -- ask them.

Thank you. I'm aware of KVM devices, but wasn't sure about my end of the connection, so your explanation helps a lot.

But they are very cryptic in their typical responses and it is a slooow communication process leaving a lot to guess work. Hopefully all will end well.

-Tom