Removing powerpcspe from Debian Ports

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hello!

With the upcoming version 9 of gcc, support for the powerpcspe target has
been removed from the compiler. Since it makes no sense to keep the buildds
running in the long time given that perspective, I would to remove the
powerpcspe port in the near future from Debian Ports unless there are any
reasonably justified objections.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Removing powerpcspe from Debian Ports

Christian Zigotzky
On 14 May 2019 at 07:25AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hello!
>
> With the upcoming version 9 of gcc, support for the powerpcspe target has
> been removed from the compiler. Since it makes no sense to keep the buildds
> running in the long time given that perspective, I would to remove the
> powerpcspe port in the near future from Debian Ports unless there are any
> reasonably justified objections.
>
> Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Is it possible to compile the PowerPCSPE packages with an older version
of GCC in the future?

Cheers,
Christian

Re: Removing powerpcspe from Debian Ports

Karl-6

GCC 8.3 should work fine

On 5/15/19 9:59 AM, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> Is it possible to compile the PowerPCSPE packages with an older version of GCC in the future?

The problem is that gcc-8 is eventually going to be removed from Debian
unstable and more and more packages are going to pull in gcc-9 in one
way or another.

It's also not just gcc but also glibc and openjdk and many other packages
which need attention. It currently all falls back to me and James and we
simply don't have the manpower and resources to fix all these problems,
especially with gcc upstream going away for PowerPCSPE.

So, if PowerPCSPE is supposed to have a chance, someone needs to fix the
gcc backend and reintroduce it upstream and also fix glibc and openjdk.

Adrian

On 5/15/19 11:21 AM, Karl wrote:
> GCC 8.3 should work fine

Not if the compiler gets removed from unstable which will eventually
happen.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Removing powerpcspe from Debian Ports

Johannes Poehlmann-2

Will the powerpcspe ports repository be archived online ?

Johannes

On 5/28/19 1:18 PM, Johannes Poehlmann wrote:
> Will the powerpcspe ports repository be archived online ?
The archive can be accessed through http://snapshot.debian.org/.

Just follow the instructions on the page and you should be good to go.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Removing powerpcspe from Debian Ports

James Clarke-2
On 28 May 2019, at 12:21, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On 5/28/19 1:18 PM, Johannes Poehlmann wrote:
>> Will the powerpcspe ports repository be archived online ?
> The archive can be accessed through http://snapshot.debian.org/.
>
> Just follow the instructions on the page and you should be good to go.

Specifically, you want [1], as linked to by the news entry announcing its
removal[2].

James

[1] http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20190519/
[2] https://www.ports.debian.org

Re: Removing powerpcspe from Debian Ports

Johannes Poehlmann-2
Thank you for the helpful links.

I would like to mirror the directory pool-powerpcspe, but
this would - as is stated in the docs and the mailing list -
overload the snapshot server.

Would it be possible to have the latest-greatest version
of it online on a normal ftp share ?

Johannes