Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Sam Hartman-5

TL;DR: Between the pro-boycott language in the Montreal announcement and
the request for a Debian approved budget and logistical resources, The
Mini DebConf Montreal organizers have created a perception that they are
undermining the hard work of the DebConf 20 team.  I ask them to take a
positive step to show that their disagreement is not with the volunteers
of Debian putting on a conference.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for letting me take the time to get my
thoughts in order and  approach this situation with compassion.

Background
==========

The Montreal Debian community is organizing a mini DebConf in August of
this year.
In their announcement they indicated that they were putting on the
conference because their participation in the Boycott/Divest/Sanction
movement was incompatible with DebConf 20's location.

Meanwhile, the organizers have asked me as DPL to approve a budget.
They want to use Debian's relationship with SPI to invoice sponsors and
generally make their financial logistics easier.
They anticipate that they would break even or make money.
Even so, Debian would be obligated to SPI to cover any shortfall.
I think a shortfall is unlikely.

Debian's Responsibilities
=========================

I think Debian has two key responsibilities here:

1) We need to support a diverse community of political opinion.  We want
to be welcoming to people who commit to our principles and want to work
together to make a free software operating system.
That means there's going to be conflict on issues like this.  Sometimes
our members will disagree with what the project does.  Sometimes they
will need to stand aside.  As a project we need to respect that within
the bounds of our community guidelines.

forming a related effort--whether it is a conference or even a
downstream distribution--is often a healthy way to respect this kind of
disagreement.

2) We need to respect and support our volunteers doing work in Debian.
While there is plenty of room for disagreement as we're making
decisions, there needs to come a point where we as a project stand
behind the people doing the work.  Instead, we tend to have a culture of
those unhappy with a decision sniping at or undermining the efforts of
those doing work.
That harms our community.

Debian will always have a robust and open decision process.  But we need
to have a finite decision process and support people after the decision
is made.

Debian is Asked to Support a Protest of a Debian Activity

The Montreal organizers could have simply organized an alternative for
those who were not traveling to DC20 for whatever reason.
That's something Debian could support with no reservations.

By making the political statement in their announcement, they have
turned the conference into a protest.  It's being billed as an
alternative to DebConf for political reasons.

If their effort was entirely outside of Debian, that would be fine.
That would be part of the larger free software community having healthy
disagreement.

However, they are asking for Debian's support.  They are asking for
financial liquidity and risk mitigation.  They are asking for logistical
support.

So in effect the Debian Project is being asked to support a protest of
its own activity.

This sucks for the DC20 team.  Everyone I've talked to about this has
raised the argument that it's not a big deal: the DC20 team has already
had to develop a thick skin.
THAT'S BULLSHIT!
I do not want to facilitate a Debian  where we expect our volunteers to
be inured to their efforts being disrespected and challenged so much
that we discount piling on other minor aggressions because it's not a
big deal.
Our community is our most precious resource; we need to stop treating
them like crap.

Having the project support a protest of their efforts does create a
perception that we value them less.
I want to avoid that.

So, as DPL, I could deny the budget and force the Montreal event to be
outside of Debian.  That's no good either.  My frustration has probably
already created somewhat of a wedge.  I regret that, while also
acknowledging that sharing our feelings and frustrations is an important
part of building connection.
I don't want to create wedges.  The folks in Montreal are part of our
community too.
They disagree with something we've done.
We don't want to drive them away, even if for a few days in August they
are going to stand aside because of their convictions.

So, I'm going to approve the budget with one change requested by the
DebConf committee.  But see below.

My Request to Montreal Organizers
=================================

First, please acknowledge that the combination of your political
announcement and asking for Debian support creates a negative perception
that might tend to undermine Debian's support for its volunteers.  That
may not be what you intend, but it is a consequence.

I hope you are committed to valuing the other members of Debian even
when you disagree with them.  I hope that your fight is with Israel's
government not with our volunteers.

So, I ask you to find and make some meaningful, clear statement to show
support for our volunteers putting on DC20.

I think the easiest way for you to do that is to withdraw your budget
request and for you to do the conference logistics on your own.  In
effect, accept the idea that putting this too close to Debian puts the
project in an awkward position and  remove that.  If we force you, it is
inherently distancing.  If you do it on your own, it can be
constructive.

I have no doubt that you can do this without Debian and SPI's
relationship.  Yes, absolutely it will be more work.
But you've already demonstrated you have what it takes to run a
successful conference.

If that's not your choice, then I ask you to find some other meaningful
way (stronger than just words) to show support for the volunteers in
Debian, even though you disagree with the location.

The choice is entirely yours.
This is a request.  You can reinterpret it or even ignore it.  I hope
that you do choose to turn this into an example of how we can
constructively disagree.

Debian supports the DC20 Team
=============================

I want to take this opportunity to express strong support for the
volunteers putting on DebConf 20.  Your contributions to the Debian
community are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your understanding and hard work.

Thanks for your Consideration,

Sam Hartman
Debian Project Leader

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Matthew Vernon-8
Sam Hartman <[hidden email]> writes:

> I think the easiest way for you to do that is to withdraw your budget
> request and for you to do the conference logistics on your own.  In
> effect, accept the idea that putting this too close to Debian puts the
> project in an awkward position and  remove that.  If we force you, it is
> inherently distancing.  If you do it on your own, it can be
> constructive.

I don't think this is the right thing to ask the Montreal organisers to
do to. It's needlessly making work for them. Making them do extra work
does not support DC20. People can choose to attend both Montreal and
Debconf.

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."
http://www.debian.org

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud-5
I have taken my frustration to Sam, and he clarified one thing:

Le mercredi, 19 février 2020, 16.17:00 h CET Sam Hartman a écrit :
> So, I'm going to approve the budget with one change requested by the
> DebConf committee.  But see below.

I (now) understand this to mean "both the budget and the use of Debian
ressources" _are_ approved. This makes the following request _very_ bizarre.

> My Request to Montreal Organizers
> =================================
>
> (…)
> So, I ask you to find and make some meaningful, clear statement to show
> support for our volunteers putting on DC20.
>
> I think the easiest way for you to do that is to withdraw your budget
> request and for you to do the conference logistics on your own. (…)
>
> If that's not your choice, then I ask you to find some other meaningful
> way (stronger than just words) to show support for the volunteers in
> Debian, even though you disagree with the location.
>
> The choice is entirely yours.
> This is a request.  You can reinterpret it or even ignore it.
At the risk of poking a little fun at recent US politics: this _really really_
reads as a /quid pro quo/.

You are still saying "one way is to withdraw your budget request (…); if that
is not your choice, I _ask_ you to find some other way". So what happens if
they put your request to /dev/null, if you're not withdrawing the DPL
approval?

You are asking the Montreal miniDebConf Team to "show support for our
volunteers putting on DC20" while, at *no point*, they have said *anything*
contrary. They said "we cannot _attend_ DebConf20 for personal reasons", and
now you're asking them to show their allegiance to the Debian project; or what
is it?. That's not (quoting your own words): "valuing the other members of
Debian even when you disagree with them".

I'm really disappointed and sad that you found no other way to support both
the DebConf20 _and_ the Montreal miniDebConf teams other than asking the
latter explicitly to do without Debian's logistical support.

    OdyX

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Holger Levsen-2
On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 08:00:07PM +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> I'm really disappointed and sad that you found no other way to support both
> the DebConf20 _and_ the Montreal miniDebConf teams other than asking the
> latter explicitly to do without Debian's logistical support.

this. freaking unbelievable.

--
cheers,
        Holger

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Sam Hartman-3

 still saying "one way is to withdraw your budget
    Didier> request (…); if that is not your choice, I _ask_ you to find
    Didier> some other way". So what happens if they put your request to
    Didier> /dev/null, if you're not withdrawing the DPL approval?

Then we miss an opportunity for the Montreal organizers to clearly and
unambiguously say to the world and Debian their fight is with the
government of Israel not with the DC20 volunteers.
I end up more disappointed in the world.
Others in the project feel whatever they feel.

But the DPL approval is not conditional and will not be withdrawn by me.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 07:04:01PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> this. freaking unbelievable.

so if we decided in that GR to go full blown for systemd, would it be good to
spend Debian ressources on an event working on other init systems? absolutly,
i'd say. or, when some cpu architecture gets vancouvered out of Debian, I
similarily think we should support such an event. or if a group of LGBT
developers said they wouldnt go to brasil, should we have supported an alternative
event? IMO definitly.

--
cheers,
        Holger

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)-2
On 2020/02/19 21:04, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Then we miss an opportunity for the Montreal organizers to clearly and
> unambiguously say to the world and Debian their fight is with the
> government of Israel not with the DC20 volunteers.
> I end up more disappointed in the world.
> Others in the project feel whatever they feel.

But why? The MiniDCMTL team never made any negative comments about the
DC20 team, no criticism whatsoever, no negative energy, so why are you
framing it in such a way as if they have? In fact there's some overlap
in video team between members of both, and these people generally get
along great, at a dinner during FOSDEM one of the prominent DC20 local
team members caught us up a bit about what's going on with the elections
in Israel and it was nice to openly talk about it. You make it sound
like the MiniDCMTL team have some kind of vendetta or that they're
creating some form of competition here and it's nothing like that.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage
  ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀  Be Bold. Be brave. Debian has got your back.

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana

On 19/02/2020 12:17, Sam Hartman wrote:

> First, please acknowledge that the combination of your political
> announcement and asking for Debian support creates a negative perception
> that might tend to undermine Debian's support for its volunteers.  That
> may not be what you intend, but it is a consequence.

My perception is most of us was not really caring about MiniDebConf
Canada and their boycott. But when you expressed your frustration,
disappointment and anger on the first message, and now you started a
discussion about aprove or not aprove their budget, you added a ruge
focus on this topic.

Best regards,

--
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Curitiba - Brasil

Le mercredi, 19 février 2020, 20.04:12 h CET Sam Hartman a écrit :
> Then we miss an opportunity for the Montreal organizers to clearly and
> unambiguously say to the world and Debian their fight is with the
> government of Israel not with the DC20 volunteers.

They never said otherwise.  They never said _this_ specifically, but they
never said otherwise.  Of course, there's a sad shadow of negativity in their
announce mail, that could have been avoided; I'm not disputing this.  But I
really feel you're reading more than they wrote, or intended.

Let me quote this again:

> Following the announcement of the DebConf20 location, our desire to
> participate became incompatible with our commitment toward the Boycott,
> Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign launched by Palestinian civil
> society in 2005. Hence, many active Montreal-based Debian developpers,
> along with a number of other Debian developpers, have decided not to
> travel to Israel in August 2020 for DebConf20.
>
> Nevertheless, recognizing the importance of DebConf for the health of
> both the developper community and the project as a whole, we decided to
> organize a miniDebConf just prior to DebConf20 in the hope that fellow
> developpers who may have otherwise skipped DebConf entirely this year
> might join us instead. Fellow developpers who decide to travel to both
> events are of course most welcome.

I have now read this dozens of times; I _still_ find this fairly nuanced and
very well-written; I'm quite sure they spend quite some time fine-tuning this.
It is explaining _their_ participation incompatibility to a DebConf in Israel,
and _their_ motivation to organize another, separate, but still connected
event. They _explicitely_ make sure people willing to attend both events are
able and welcome to do so.

Asking them to commit to an explicit declaration of support to another Debian
team (not lower than withdrawing their request for logistical support from the
project; really !?) that they never "not supported" is unnecessarily
humiliating, and uncalled for.

--
    OdyX

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Anthony DeRobertis
On 2/19/20 2:00 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> At the risk of poking a little fun at recent US politics: this _really really_
> reads as a /quid pro quo/.

Not really; a quid pro quo there means more than the literal "something
for something". Otherwise going to the grocery store and buying an apple
is quid pro quo; perhaps you can use the term like that, but then it
loses any negative connotation.

The negative connotation one requires there be some corruption. For
example, an officer of a company is required to act in that company's
interest, not the officer's own personal interest. If that officer were
to select bids based on which vendor paid the officer him/herself the
most (as opposed to which benefited the company), that'd be corrupt. The
underlying problem is that violation of the duty to the company. That's
the type of quid pro quo that has been argued about in recent US politics.

Here, it seems pretty clear that Sam is working to benefit Debian, not
himself. The DPL trying to get things of value for Debian is not
corrupt, it's part of his job.

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud-5
(Re-reading your statement).

Le mercredi, 19 février 2020, 16.17:00 h CET Sam Hartman a écrit :

> Debian is Asked to Support a Protest of a Debian Activity
>
> The Montreal organizers could have simply organized an alternative for
> those who were not traveling to DC20 for whatever reason.
> That's something Debian could support with no reservations.
>
> By making the political statement in their announcement, they have
> turned the conference into a protest.  It's being billed as an
> alternative to DebConf for political reasons.
>
> (…)
>
> So in effect the Debian Project is being asked to support a protest of
> its own activity.
The crux of my strong disagreement is here: as DPL, you just _framed_ the
Montreal miniDebConf as a protest.

Le jeudi, 20 février 2020, 01.14:19 h CET Anthony DeRobertis a écrit :
> On 2/19/20 2:00 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > At the risk of poking a little fun at recent US politics: this _really
> > really_ reads as a /quid pro quo/.
>
> Not really; a quid pro quo there means more than the literal "something
> for something". Otherwise going to the grocery store and buying an apple
> is quid pro quo; perhaps you can use the term like that, but then it
> loses any negative connotation.

Fair enough. I failed at my attempt at drawing parallels; and triggering
smiles. Sorry.

> Here, it seems pretty clear that Sam is working to benefit Debian, not
> himself. The DPL trying to get things of value for Debian is not
> corrupt, it's part of his job.

For the record; I have _absolutely no doubt_ that Sam is working to benefit
Debian.  But in that particular instance, I happen to strongly disagree that
his actions have a positive effect on Debian (the community).

--
    OdyX

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Daniel Baumann-4
On 2/20/20 8:30 AM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> For the record; I have _absolutely no doubt_ that Sam is working to benefit
> Debian.  But in that particular instance, I happen to strongly disagree that
> his actions have a positive effect on Debian (the community).

+1

Regards,
Daniel

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Ansgar Burchardt-8
Didier 'OdyX' Raboud writes:

> Le mercredi, 19 février 2020, 16.17:00 h CET Sam Hartman a écrit :
>> Debian is Asked to Support a Protest of a Debian Activity
>>
>> The Montreal organizers could have simply organized an alternative for
>> those who were not traveling to DC20 for whatever reason.
>> That's something Debian could support with no reservations.
>>
>> By making the political statement in their announcement, they have
>> turned the conference into a protest.  It's being billed as an
>> alternative to DebConf for political reasons.
>>
>> (…)
>>
>> So in effect the Debian Project is being asked to support a protest of
>> its own activity.
>
> The crux of my strong disagreement is here: as DPL, you just _framed_ the
> Montreal miniDebConf as a protest.

I think the announcement by the organizers framed the conference as
being organized specifically to support the BDS movement, a movement
that is uncontroversially seen as antisemitic.  They could have chosen
not to frame the announcement this way, but they did not.

So the announcement forced the question to be whether Debian should
officially support such a movement or not by providing resources to
events organized in support of BDS. And honestly if people want to drag
the project into supporting something like the BDS movement, maybe we
should rather have a GR about it (including the option to explicitly
*NOT* support it). Though arguably the diversity statement should pretty
much include rejecting antisemitism and thus BDS...

And before people complain too much about BDS being antisemitic being
controversial: a resolution passed by the German parliament includes
comparisons of BDS with 'Kauft nicht bei Juden!' calls that were popular
sometime last century[1]; the US has adopted [2].  These resolutions
were pretty uncontroversial and adopted with very wide support from
pretty much all parties: the resolution in Germany was supported by at
least CDU/CSU/SPD/Grüne/FDP, so ~80%+, Die Linke had a different
resolution which also included "Reject BDS movement" even in its title,
so 87%+ reject BDS); the US resolution got something like 398:17 votes.

And because we are talking about Canada and Toronto: Wikipedia says that
Ontario in 2016 passed a motion condemning BDS as well, because "The
motion was necessary because of growing concern on Ontario’s university
campuses where members of BDS movements have harassed and targeted
Jewish students under the guise of free speech"[3]. The two largest
parties supporting the motion held 82 of 107 seats at the time. So
again pretty uncontroversial.

Ansgar

  [1]: http://dip21.bundestag.de/dip21/btd/19/101/1910191.pdf
  [2]: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/246/text
  [3]: https://torontosun.com/2016/12/01/ontario-mpps-reject-bds-movement/wcm/12c5c198-aa3a-459d-b34b-2c1d47c1475a

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Michael Banck

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Michael Banck writes:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 10:02:53AM +0100, Ansgar wrote:
>> the BDS movement, a movement that is uncontroversially seen as
>> antisemitic.
>
> Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

So you are a Sith?

But yes, some people also find climate change or usefulness of vaccines
(autism!) controversional.  I recommend reading the rest of my mail for
more context.

Ansgar

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Ian Jackson-2
Ansgar writes ("Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team"):
> I think the announcement by the organizers framed the conference as
> being organized specifically to support the BDS movement, a movement
> that is uncontroversially seen as antisemitic.  They could have chosen
> not to frame the announcement this way, but they did not.

The BDS movement is not antisemitic.

Ian.

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Felix Lechner-4
Hi Ian,

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 3:50 AM Ian Jackson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The BDS movement is not antisemitic.

Please have a look at this report, especially the final page.

    http://bit.ly/TheNewAnti-SemitesReport

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Sam Hartman-3
[This will be my last message on this thread.
I go away on vacation tomorrow.]

    Didier> The crux of my strong disagreement is here: as DPL, you just
    Didier> _framed_ the Montreal miniDebConf as a protest.

This is a case where perception is powerful too.
I perceived it as a protest.
Several others, including people involved in DC20 see it that way.

That in and of itself is a problem of perception.
Even that problem of perception is sufficient to negatively impact  the
people doing the work.
Even that problem of perception is worth solving.

I really hope that supporting our people doing the work at DC20 is
uncontroversial.
You and others think my particular proposed solution sucks.

Okay.
I gave enough flexibility that another solution can be chosen.
(I also gave enough flexibility that people can choose to do nothing.
I think that people who do perceive a problem here will hear nothing a
certain way, but I explicitly left that option.)

Personally, I don't think simply a statement would be enough.
I would hear actual effort spent to constructively make things better
louder than any words.
Whether that's in the form of isolating Debian as I proposed or taking
some positive constructive steps to help out the people working on DC20
explicitly to say  we support you, or something we haven't thought of
yet.

Even if I got it wrong, we could choose to spend all this energy
supporting each other rather than fighting.

Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

Jack Warkentin-2
Hello Debian Community

Criticism of the BJP government of India is not considered to be anti Hindu.

Criticism of Myanmar because of their treatment of the Rohingyas is not
considered to be anti Buddhist.

Criticism of Saudi Arabia because of their treatment of women is not
considered to be anti Muslim.

Criticism of the government of China is not considered to be anti
Confucianism, anti Taoism, ...  .

So why is criticism of the treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis
considered to antisemitism?

A BDS movement brought down the apartheid government of South Africa.
The Israelis and their supporters are fearful that a similar BDS
movement will bring down the state of Israel *as it currently exists*.
Hence the desperate attempts by the Zionists to conflate criticism of
Israel with antisemitism, the screed promoted by Felix being a case in
point.

I would suggest that those of the Debian Community who are still
following this *inappropriate thread* have a look at

https://www.ijvcanada.org/open-letter-from-canadian-academics-opposing-the-ihra-definition-of-antisemitism/

As I said, this thread is inappropriate on this list. But it is hard not
to answer accusations of antisemitism by those fearful of the effects of
the BDS movement. And before I am accused of antisemitism I will simply
state that ever since I was in high school I have had good Jewish
friends. None of them has ever had cause to believe that I am antisemitic.

Regards

Jack

Ansgar wrote:

> I think the announcement by the organizers framed the conference as
> being organized specifically to support the BDS movement, a movement
> that is uncontroversially seen as antisemitic.  They could have chosen
> not to frame the announcement this way, but they did not.

And Felix Lechner wrote

> Please have a look at this report, especially the final page.
>
>     http://bit.ly/TheNewAnti-SemitesReport

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email [hidden email]