Ruby team BoF; here's what happened!

Utkarsh Gupta
Hey,

Ruby team had a BoF on 23rd and here's a quick note to/for everyone to be in sync with:

== Rails 6 Migration ==

- Jongmin Kim is working on it as his GSoC project this year.
- He'll continue to work; any and every help is welcomed (lots of rdepends to fix!).

== Ruby 2.7/2.8 Transition ==

- 2.8 *might* be too late for Bullseye;
- We're conducting a sprint when 2.7 has an RC (or preferably a stable) release by Dec 2019.
- More details about the sprint to be followed up in the upcoming mail thread!

== Use debhelper-compat (=12) ==

- We had a consent on using "debhelper-compat (=12)" in all the packages and dropping the d/compat file.
- Before we do that, we need to fix the dwz problem (the compression stuff with the interpreter).
- I guess kanashiro would work on that when he gets time or dai or me, myself (whenever, whoever).
- If someone's willing to take that up; please do! :D

== Fixing gem2deb ==

- Using github tarballs instead of the one fetched from rubygems; mainly for spec/*, tests/* files.
- Additionally, please add a d/upstream/metadata file; would be good to have it in gem2deb.
- Using cme (libconfig-model editor) to refresh debian/* files; works well for other teams.

I believe Georg is working on that(!?).

== While updating a package.. ==

- Good to refresh all the packages with "cme fix dpkg"; keep the required changes.
- Add d/upstream/metadata whenever possible.
- Use "quilt refresh" after adding a patch and *please* add a "Description" for all the patches.
- Import github tarballs with changing the d/watch file appropriately.
- Make the tests work! :D

== For newcomers.. ==

- Review and sponsor package *often*!
- Encourage people with no uploading rights yet to review RFS requests.
- Document all the newcomer stuff (Sruthi is doing that!).
- Ask newcomers to send an introduction mail to debian-ruby mailing list.

== Call for help ==

- For interpreter and toolchain maintenance, kanashiro (and possibly me) stepped up; need more people!!
- More things could be worked out in the sprint(s).

== Monthly IRC meeting/sprint ==

- Have a monthly meeting on IRC (and get some stuff done)!
- Make ALL packages autopkgtest-able, whenever and however :D

== Use Salsa CI ==

- We discussed to use Salsa CI but don't know who's willing to go ahead with it and how?
- Maybe this could be discussed over the next IRC meet or the sprint next year.

== Things we didn't get time to discuss in a proper way ==

- Find a way to track and file a RM request for obsolete libraries.
- Different versions of Ruby (for eg: ruby2.5, ruby2.6, ruby2.7) available in the archive.
- Provide infra (containers!?) support like upstream.
- *Maybe* a more clear way to use Salsa CI?

----------

The original discussion could be seen on the gobby doc, under debconf19/bof/RubyTeam.
Feel free to ask anything if not conveyed clearly enough.
If I missed something or got it wrong, please correct it; apologies in advance! :D

Farewell from Curitiba; *hope* to see you soon!

Best,
Utkarsh

Re: Ruby team BoF; here's what happened!

Antonio Terceiro-3
On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 09:50:43AM +0530, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
> The original discussion could be seen on the gobby doc, under debconf19/bof/RubyTeam.
> Feel free to ask anything if not conveyed clearly enough.
> If I missed something or got it wrong, please correct it; apologies in advance! :D

Also, the video recording from the session is available:
https://debconf19.debconf.org/talks/44-ruby-team-bof/

On 29/07/19 9:50 am, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
> <snip>
>
> == Use Salsa CI ==
>
> - We discussed to use Salsa CI but don't know who's willing to go ahead with it and how?
> - Maybe this could be discussed over the next IRC meet or the sprint next year.

I've started using Salsa CI in the following way:

- Add debian/salsa-ci.yml (cf:
https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/ruby-arbre/-/settings/ci_cd#js-general-pipeline-settings)

- And then, setting the custom CI config path at ci_cd settings on salsa
(cf:
https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/ruby-arbre/-/settings/ci_cd#js-general-pipeline-settings)

Let me know if you like this way.

Best,
Utkarsh

Re: Ruby team BoF; here's what happened!

Daniel Leidert-2
Am Montag, den 29.07.2019, 09:50 +0530 schrieb Utkarsh Gupta:

[..]
> == For newcomers.. ==
[..]
> - Document all the newcomer stuff (Sruthi is doing that!).

I've setup team pages [1] for debichem-team using the gitlab pages feature and
jekyll [2]. This can be done within 5 minutes. If you are interested, I can set
this up for ruby-team too, including a blog.

[1] https://debichem-team.pages.debian.net/
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/debichem-team/debichem-team.pages.debian.net

[..]
> == Use Salsa CI ==
>
> - We discussed to use Salsa CI but don't know who's willing to go ahead with
> it and how?
> - Maybe this could be discussed over the next IRC meet or the sprint next
> year.

That's pretty easy nowadays. Add debian/salsa-ci.yml with the default content
[3] for Sid. Adjust the RELEASE variable for packages built for buster [4].

[3] https://salsa.debian.org/salsa-ci-team/pipeline#basic-use
[4] https://salsa.debian.org/salsa-ci-team/pipeline#changing-the-debian-release

Adjust the path to the CI file via web interface (Project > Settings > CI/CD >
General pipelines (Expand) > Custom CI config path) or via API call:

> curl -X PUT \
>      -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
>      -H "PRIVATE-TOKEN:__TOKEN__" \
>      --data '{"ci_config_path":"debian/salsa-ci.yml"}' \
>      https://salsa.debian.org/api/v4/projects/ruby-team%2F__PROJECT__

This can easily be done for all projects by iterating over:

> gitlab-api-v4 -a group_projects ruby-team | jq -r '.[] | .name' | sort

Because the salsa-ci.yml file is not really necessary for building the package,
one can add debian/.gitattributes with this content to keep debian/ inside the
package clean:

> .gitattributes export-ignore
> salsa-ci.yml export-ignore

HTH and regards, Daniel

Re: Ruby team BoF; here's what happened!

Cédric Boutillier-6
Hi!

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 02:45:48PM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Adjust the path to the CI file via web interface (Project > Settings > CI/CD >
> General pipelines (Expand) > Custom CI config path) or via API call:

> > curl -X PUT \
> >      -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
> >      -H "PRIVATE-TOKEN:__TOKEN__" \
> >      --data '{"ci_config_path":"debian/salsa-ci.yml"}' \
> >      https://salsa.debian.org/api/v4/projects/ruby-team%2F__PROJECT__

> This can easily be done for all projects by iterating over:

> > gitlab-api-v4 -a group_projects ruby-team | jq -r '.[] | .name' | sort

I think we can even use the 'salsa' utility from devscripts to update
all repos with something like

salsa --group reuby-team update_repo --all --ci-config-path debian/salsa-ci.yml

(maybe with the additional --no-fail option)

> Because the salsa-ci.yml file is not really necessary for building the package,
> one can add debian/.gitattributes with this content to keep debian/ inside the
> package clean:

> > .gitattributes export-ignore
> > salsa-ci.yml export-ignore

Nice trick. This is maybe what has to be added in the template files
provided by gem2deb when activating salsa-ci.

Cheers,

Cédric

Re: Ruby team BoF; here's what happened!

Utkarsh Gupta
Hey Daniel,

On 11/08/19 6:15 pm, Daniel Leidert wrote:

> Am Montag, den 29.07.2019, 09:50 +0530 schrieb Utkarsh Gupta:
>
> [..]
>> == For newcomers.. ==
> [..]
>> - Document all the newcomer stuff (Sruthi is doing that!).
> I've setup team pages [1] for debichem-team using the gitlab pages feature and
> jekyll [2]. This can be done within 5 minutes. If you are interested, I can set
> this up for ruby-team too, including a blog.
>
> [1] https://debichem-team.pages.debian.net/
> [2] https://salsa.debian.org/debichem-team/debichem-team.pages.debian.net
It seems I kinda missed this thread.
And yes, that'd be *great* if you could do that.
Perhaps, others can chip in later with whatever is missing.

Looking forward to it! :D

Am Donnerstag, den 15.08.2019, 15:40 +0530 schrieb Utkarsh Gupta:

> On 11/08/19 6:15 pm, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 29.07.2019, 09:50 +0530 schrieb Utkarsh Gupta:
> >
> > [..]
> > > == For newcomers.. ==
> > [..]
> > > - Document all the newcomer stuff (Sruthi is doing that!).
> > I've setup team pages [1] for debichem-team using the gitlab pages feature
> > and
> > jekyll [2]. This can be done within 5 minutes. If you are interested, I can
> > set
> > this up for ruby-team too, including a blog.
> >
> > [1] https://debichem-team.pages.debian.net/
> > [2] https://salsa.debian.org/debichem-team/debichem-team.pages.debian.net
>
> It seems I kinda missed this thread.
> And yes, that'd be *great* if you could do that.
> Perhaps, others can chip in later with whatever is missing.
https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/ruby-team.pages.debian.net
https://ruby-team.pages.debian.net/

A CI pipeline is building, testing and deploying the pages.

> Looking forward to it! :D

Here you go... :)

Regards, Daniel

On 16/08/19 6:38 pm, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.08.2019, 15:40 +0530 schrieb Utkarsh Gupta:
>> It seems I kinda missed this thread.
>> And yes, that'd be *great* if you could do that.
>> Perhaps, others can chip in later with whatever is missing.
> https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/ruby-team.pages.debian.net
> https://ruby-team.pages.debian.net/
>
> A CI pipeline is building, testing and deploying the pages.

Lovely! Thanks for the work.

I believe this could further be furnished by whoever is willing to work
on it? Sruthi, maybe (as discussed during the BoF)?
Or maybe during the sprints :)

Best,
Utkarsh