Ruby team sprint(s)

Utkarsh Gupta
Hey,

This is in reference to the last mail[1] and the discussion(s) we had in
the BoF on 23rd.

Clearly enough, we've got a lot of things to do and sprints are the best
way to get a lot of things done!
So we are planning to host a Ruby sprint as soon as Ruby 2.7 is
available (either as RC or stable). Probably that's going to happen in
December.
So maybe a good idea to have a sprint would be in December or in
January, as soon as 2.7 version is uploaded to experimental.

Cedric (CCing him) proposed to host it in Paris (being central for all);
if anyone has a problem with that, let us know?
Perhaps we should start planning it already; need approval(s) after the
date and venue is finalized.

Best,
Utkarsh
---
[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2019/07/msg00025.html

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Lucas Kanashiro
Hi,

On 7/29/19 1:58 AM, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:

> Hey,
>
> This is in reference to the last mail[1] and the discussion(s) we had in
> the BoF on 23rd.
>
> Clearly enough, we've got a lot of things to do and sprints are the best
> way to get a lot of things done!
> So we are planning to host a Ruby sprint as soon as Ruby 2.7 is
> available (either as RC or stable). Probably that's going to happen in
> December.
> So maybe a good idea to have a sprint would be in December or in
> January, as soon as 2.7 version is uploaded to experimental.
Thanks for following up this discussion Utkarsh. And as discussed during
the BoF, specially for the interpreter transition a sprint would help us
to get things done/fixed. But I think we should organize a sprint for
the next year, we do not need to rush.

> Cedric (CCing him) proposed to host it in Paris (being central for all);
> if anyone has a problem with that, let us know?
> Perhaps we should start planning it already; need approval(s) after the
> date and venue is finalized.

Let's see whether Cedric's proposal is still valid :)

Cheers!

--
Lucas Kanashiro

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Cédric Boutillier-6
Dear team members,

I maintain my proposition to hold a Ruby sprint in Paris.
Do we plan to have a 5-day sprint as the last two times? I think it was
a good format to have a lot of things done.

If we aim for December or January, I can propose the following slots:
(with a slight preference for the first two slots)
- from December 16 until December 20 (2018)
- from January 6 until January 10 (2019)
- from January 13 until January 17 (2019)

I opened a poll with these two dates. Feel free to add new slots.

https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019

In the mean time, I will try to find a venue for the sprint.
I hope to welcome you soon in Paris!

Cheers,

Cédric

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Utkarsh Gupta
Hey,

On 11/08/19 8:57 pm, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> Dear team members,
>
> I maintain my proposition to hold a Ruby sprint in Paris.
> Do we plan to have a 5-day sprint as the last two times? I think it was
> a good format to have a lot of things done.

Oh yes, definitely! A 5-day sprint would be good! :D

> If we aim for December or January, I can propose the following slots:
> (with a slight preference for the first two slots)
> - from December 16 until December 20 (2018)
> - from January 6 until January 10 (2019)
> - from January 13 until January 17 (2019)
>
> I opened a poll with these two dates. Feel free to add new slots.
>
> https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019

Voted, looking forward for others to look into it as well.

> In the mean time, I will try to find a venue for the sprint.
> I hope to welcome you soon in Paris!

Yay! I shall create a wiki soon :D

Best,
Utkarsh

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Antonio Terceiro-3
On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 05:27:16PM +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:

> Dear team members,
>
> I maintain my proposition to hold a Ruby sprint in Paris.
> Do we plan to have a 5-day sprint as the last two times? I think it was
> a good format to have a lot of things done.
>
> If we aim for December or January, I can propose the following slots:
> (with a slight preference for the first two slots)
> - from December 16 until December 20 (2018)
> - from January 6 until January 10 (2019)
> - from January 13 until January 17 (2019)
off by one error in the years :)

> I opened a poll with these two dates. Feel free to add new slots.
>
> https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019
>
> In the mean time, I will try to find a venue for the sprint.
> I hope to welcome you soon in Paris!

All of those dates seem ok for me.

But maybe we could try to do it in the week before FOSDEM, i.e. Jan
27-31?
https://fosdem.org/2020/

There are also talks about a minidebcamp durint that period:
http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20190728-minidebcamp-fosdem/

According to Google Maps Paris-Brussels in only 1.5 by train so we could
either join that for our sprint, or have the sprint in Paris regardless
and leave the option for those who can to also attend FOSDEM.

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Lucas Kanashiro-2
Hi,

Em 12 de agosto de 2019 14:05:20 BRT, Antonio Terceiro <[hidden email]> escreveu:

>On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 05:27:16PM +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
>> Dear team members,
>>
>> I maintain my proposition to hold a Ruby sprint in Paris.
>> Do we plan to have a 5-day sprint as the last two times? I think it
>was
>> a good format to have a lot of things done.
>>
>> If we aim for December or January, I can propose the following slots:
>> (with a slight preference for the first two slots)
>> - from December 16 until December 20 (2018)
>> - from January 6 until January 10 (2019)
>> - from January 13 until January 17 (2019)
>
>off by one error in the years :)
>
>> I opened a poll with these two dates. Feel free to add new slots.
>>
>> https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019
>>
>> In the mean time, I will try to find a venue for the sprint.
>> I hope to welcome you soon in Paris!
>
>All of those dates seem ok for me.
>
>But maybe we could try to do it in the week before FOSDEM, i.e. Jan
>27-31?
>https://fosdem.org/2020/
>
>There are also talks about a minidebcamp durint that period:
>http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20190728-minidebcamp-fosdem/
>
>According to Google Maps Paris-Brussels in only 1.5 by train so we
>could
>either join that for our sprint, or have the sprint in Paris regardless
>and leave the option for those who can to also attend FOSDEM.

+1 to take advantage of FOSDEM If possible.

Thanks for offering yourself to organize this sprint Cedric :-)

Cheers!
Enviado de meu dispositivo Android com K-9 mail. Desculpe-me pela brevidade.

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Cédric Boutillier-6
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:38:59PM -0300, Lucas Kanashiro wrote:
> Hi,

> Em 12 de agosto de 2019 14:05:20 BRT, Antonio Terceiro <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> >On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 05:27:16PM +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:

oups! :) that maybe explains why I'm told I'm late for a few things...

> >> I opened a poll with these two dates. Feel free to add new slots.
> >>
> >> https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019
> >>
> >> In the mean time, I will try to find a venue for the sprint.
> >> I hope to welcome you soon in Paris!
> >
> >All of those dates seem ok for me.
> >
> >But maybe we could try to do it in the week before FOSDEM, i.e. Jan
> >27-31?
> >https://fosdem.org/2020/
Oh! indeed! I added two new columns in the poll, for the week just
before, and just after fosdem. That should be the preferred dates.
Joining a larger debcamp could be nice, and I confirm that Brussels is
only 1,5 hour away from Paris by train.

So please vote again for these weeks, and in case of ties, the week
before Fosdem will be chosen.

Cheers,

Cédric

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Georg Faerber-4
Hi Cédric, all,

On 19-08-11 17:27:16, Cédric Boutillier wrote:

> I maintain my proposition to hold a Ruby sprint in Paris.  Do we plan
> to have a 5-day sprint as the last two times? I think it was a good
> format to have a lot of things done.
>
> If we aim for December or January, I can propose the following slots:
> (with a slight preference for the first two slots)
> - from December 16 until December 20 (2018)
> - from January 6 until January 10 (2019)
> - from January 13 until January 17 (2019)
>
> I opened a poll with these two dates. Feel free to add new slots.
>
> https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019
>
> In the mean time, I will try to find a venue for the sprint. I hope
> to welcome you soon in Paris!

Thanks for this, I've added myself as well. December, January and
February are normally "high life" periods at $work, but I'm positive
that I'm able to join still.

Cheers,
Georg

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Georg Faerber-4
Dear team, all,

On 19-08-11 17:27:16, Cédric Boutillier wrote:

> I maintain my proposition to hold a Ruby sprint in Paris.
> Do we plan to have a 5-day sprint as the last two times? I think it was
> a good format to have a lot of things done.
>
> If we aim for December or January, I can propose the following slots:
> (with a slight preference for the first two slots)
> - from December 16 until December 20 (2018)
> - from January 6 until January 10 (2019)
> - from January 13 until January 17 (2019)
>
> I opened a poll with these two dates. Feel free to add new slots.
>
> https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019
>
> In the mean time, I will try to find a venue for the sprint. I hope
> to welcome you soon in Paris!

I would like to fix the date for this, so what about picking the date in
one week from now on, to give a "last chance" to people who haven't
participated in the poll yet?

Cheers,
Georg

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Utkarsh Gupta
Hey,

On 27/08/19 2:17 pm, Georg Faerber wrote:

> Dear team, all,
>
> On 19-08-11 17:27:16, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
>> I maintain my proposition to hold a Ruby sprint in Paris.
>> Do we plan to have a 5-day sprint as the last two times? I think it was
>> a good format to have a lot of things done.
>>
>> If we aim for December or January, I can propose the following slots:
>> (with a slight preference for the first two slots)
>> - from December 16 until December 20 (2018)
>> - from January 6 until January 10 (2019)
>> - from January 13 until January 17 (2019)
>>
>> I opened a poll with these two dates. Feel free to add new slots.
>>
>> https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019
>>
>> In the mean time, I will try to find a venue for the sprint. I hope
>> to welcome you soon in Paris!
> I would like to fix the date for this, so what about picking the date in
> one week from now on, to give a "last chance" to people who haven't
> participated in the poll yet?
Definitely!
Perhaps have 7th September (Saturday) as the deadline? Though the dates
are quite clear, already ;)
After that, we could have the wiki set up and other things like mailing
the DPL, et al?
(though we have time for that :P)

Best,
Utkarsh

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Cédric Boutillier-6
Hi!

,Let's fix the deadline on Wednesday 4 September, 23:59 UTC.

My plan is to try to hold the sprint on the campus of my university, which should give us good network connection and easy to reach location. It will be easier to negotiate a room soon if I know the date.

Cheers,

Cedric.

Re: Ruby team sprint(s)

Cédric Boutillier-6
Hi,

We entered the last 24 hours for the poll.
Please fill it if you haven't already.

https://framadate.org/debian-ruby-sprint-2018-2019

Cheers,

Cedric

and the winner is...

Cédric Boutillier-6

The slot for the week starting on Feb 3rd 2020, just after FOSDEM seems
to be a good fit for all the 11 participants to the poll.

The next Ruby sprint will therefore take place from Feb 3 to Feb 7 2020
(I think I have the year right this time), in Paris France.
We will be hosted by Sorbonne Université, 4 place Jussieu, metro
Jussieu (probably room 16-26-116).

We would need at some point to ask for approval for
reimbursement by the Debian project. Could you please investigate an
approximation of your possible travel expenses?

Cheers,

Cédric

Ruby sprint 2020 : wiki page open

Cédric Boutillier-6

I just started the wiki page for the next meeting:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Meeting/Paris2020

by copying structure from a previous one.

Cheers,

Cédric

Re: and the winner is...

Marc Dequènes (Duck)
Quack,

On 2019-09-05 07:51, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> The slot for the week starting on Feb 3rd 2020, just after FOSDEM seems
> to be a good fit for all the 11 participants to the poll.

Sorry for being so late, I just can't do everything these days.

I'm going to FOSDEM and then Configuration Management Camp with my work,
and should be back to paris on the 5th.
I did not plan my trip to Europe yet so I cannot promise anything but
I'll keep the dates in my calendar and see if I can join on the other
days.
If I can make it I'd be glad to see you again :-).

\_o<

--
Marc Dequènes