[SRU] update for powertop in 6.0.1

Patrick Winnertz-4
Hey,

I would like to close one important bug in powertop, which affects the usage
on newer kernels (e.g. 2.6.37), as powertop will segfault on such kernels
due to too small buffer (see #610101).

Please see my attached patch for powertop 1.11-1+squeeze1

Greetings
Winnie

powertop_1.11-1+squeez1.debdiff (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [SRU] update for powertop in 6.0.1

Philipp Kern-6
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:59:51AM +0100, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I would like to close one important bug in powertop, which affects the usage
> on newer kernels (e.g. 2.6.37), as powertop will segfault on such kernels
> due to too small buffer (see #610101).
>
> Please see my attached patch for powertop 1.11-1+squeeze1

Impressive design.  What would happen if it skips half of the "config"?  I
agree that not segfaulting is incredibly better than segfaulting, but like
this the remaining bunch of lines will be silently ignored?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Re: [SRU] update for powertop in 6.0.1

Patrick Winnertz-4
Hey,

> Impressive design.  What would happen if it skips half of the "config"?  I
> agree that not segfaulting is incredibly better than segfaulting, but like
> this the remaining bunch of lines will be silently ignored?
I've rewritten the patch from Mel Gorman, now you'll get a printf output on
the console if the config file is too large (and powertop will abort).
Please have a look on the updated debdiff attached to this mail.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 01:39:03PM +0100, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> > Impressive design.  What would happen if it skips half of the "config"?  I
> > agree that not segfaulting is incredibly better than segfaulting, but like
> > this the remaining bunch of lines will be silently ignored?
> I've rewritten the patch from Mel Gorman, now you'll get a printf output on
> the console if the config file is too large (and powertop will abort).
> Please have a look on the updated debdiff attached to this mail.

Bug reports are much easier to track.  Please go ahead and sorry for
the delay.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Re: [SRU] update for powertop in 6.0.1

Adam D. Barratt
On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 18:18 +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 01:39:03PM +0100, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> > > Impressive design.  What would happen if it skips half of the "config"?  I
> > > agree that not segfaulting is incredibly better than segfaulting, but like
> > > this the remaining bunch of lines will be silently ignored?
> > I've rewritten the patch from Mel Gorman, now you'll get a printf output on
> > the console if the config file is too large (and powertop will abort).
> > Please have a look on the updated debdiff attached to this mail.
>
> Bug reports are much easier to track.  Please go ahead and sorry for
> the delay.

Ping?

Regards,

Adam

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 21:26 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:

> > > I've rewritten the patch from Mel Gorman, now you'll get a printf output on
> > > the console if the config file is too large (and powertop will abort).
> > > Please have a look on the updated debdiff attached to this mail.
> >
> > Bug reports are much easier to track.  Please go ahead and sorry for
> > the delay.
>
> Ping?

Re-ping.

Regards,

Adam

Re: [SRU] update for powertop in 6.0.1

Salvatore Bonaccorso-4
Hi

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 09:42:54PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 21:26 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > >
> > > Bug reports are much easier to track.  Please go ahead and sorry for
> > > the delay.
> >
> > Ping?
>
> Re-ping.
Is there something one can help for getting this into a stable point
release?

@Release-Team: I know you will be more busy for the wheezy release
now!

Regards,
Salvatore

Re: [SRU] update for powertop in 6.0.1

Salvatore Bonaccorso-4
Hi Adam

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 07:31:00PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 09:42:54PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:

> > > Ping?
> >
> > Re-ping.
>
> Is there something one can help for getting this into a stable point
> release?
>
> @Release-Team: I know you will be more busy for the wheezy release
> now!
As discussed last week shortly on IRC, attached is now the debdiff
(only changed changelog entry to reflect NMU) for powertop.

(I have added [hidden email] to recipient lists)

Can I upload this?

Regards,
Salvatore

debdiff_powertop_1.11-1+squeeze1.diff (3K) Download Attachment

On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 14:57 +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> As discussed last week shortly on IRC, attached is now the debdiff
> (only changed changelog entry to reflect NMU) for powertop.
>
> (I have added [hidden email] to recipient lists)
>
> Can I upload this?

Please go ahead; thanks.

Regards,

Adam

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 04:41:35PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 14:57 +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > As discussed last week shortly on IRC, attached is now the debdiff
> > (only changed changelog entry to reflect NMU) for powertop.
> >
> > (I have added [hidden email] to recipient lists)
> >
> > Can I upload this?
>
> Please go ahead; thanks.

Thanks, just uploaded some minutes ago.

Regards,
Salvatore

Re: [SRU] update for powertop in 6.0.1

Adam D. Barratt
Hi,

On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 18:11 +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 04:41:35PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 14:57 +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > > As discussed last week shortly on IRC, attached is now the debdiff
> > > (only changed changelog entry to reflect NMU) for powertop.
> > >
> > > (I have added [hidden email] to recipient lists)
> > >
> > > Can I upload this?
> >
> > Please go ahead; thanks.
>
> Thanks, just uploaded some minutes ago.

Flagged for acceptance; thanks.